“Walt’s California” and "Cars Land" are Coming to Disney's California Adventure

From Spring 2008 DLR AP Backstage Pass

“Walt’s California” is Coming to Disney’s California Adventure

[I] Imagine being an ambitious young animator back in the roaring 1920s. Stepping from the steam train that carried you from your staid Midwest home, you find yourself standing in a sun-soaked paradise that promises to make all your dreams come true. That’s the way it all began for Walt Disney, and soon it will be the way it begins for all of his Guests when they enter the re-imagined entry plaza inside Disney’s California Adventure® Park.

“The creative evolution of Disney’s California Adventure® Park will connect Guests to Walt’s own California adventure, and reflect the place that he found when he first arrived with a cardboard suitcase in his hand and a head full of dreams,” says Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts.

Work on this multi-phase enhancement project has already begun, and it’s expected that everything will be completed within the next five years. When it is, Guests will discover exciting new attractions and entertainment, unique shopping and dining opportunities—and even a whole new Land, where Cars rule!

As they journey through the lushly landscaped Park, Guests will encounter a major new attraction based on the Disney animated classic The Little Mermaid. Nearby, an amazing nighttime spectacular will play out on the sparkling waters of Paradise Bay. And beneath the twists and turns of California Screamin’, a life-sized, Audio-Animatronic® Mr. Potato Head will beckon you into Toy Story Mania!, a fun, new interactive attraction based on Disney•Pixar’s Toy Story films.

But perhaps the most impressive new feature will be the [SIZE=“4”]Pixar12-acre Cars Land that recreates the town of Radiator Springs, complete with three amazing new attractions featuring Characters from the hit Disney•Pixar film.

The good news is you won’t have to wait long to start experiencing this magical transformation. It all kicks off this spring with the debut of the new Pixar Play Parade, followed by the grand opening of Toy Story Mania! this summer.

And, be sure to keep an eye out for a special Preview Center opening soon inside Disney’s California Adventure® Park. There, you’ll be able to take a look ahead to the Park’s exciting future—and feel that sense of amazement Walt must have felt as he began his own California adventure![/SIZE][/I]

It will be exciting, too bad the Plaza is going to be near one of the last things to be done to the park, they want to have more done in the park to get guests to be drawn into the Alternate entrance on the side by the old WWTBAM building once the main entrance is closed to build the new plaza. But I cant wait and I cant wait for CarsLand to be done in 2012, it will be an exciting 5 years for DCA!

AB do you know where “Carsland” will be? Are they taking up the little parking lot?

Cool!

I can’t wait… :cool:

I believe it will take up that corner.

awesome!!! thanks for the info!
Unlike so many people, I’ve :heart: ed California Adventure park since the first time I went there, and I am SOOO excited for these changes to make the park more widely-enjoyed :smile:

Wow, this is going to be AMAZING! In my own little world I had so many ideas for that park in my head b/c I had always been a little dissapointed with it. My first time there was during it’s opening year & since then I’ve always enjoyed hearing all the speculation. NOW, it’s SO COOL to hear all these concrete plans! It’s going to be SO hard to stay away until it’s all finished but I might just have to, especially to experience the full effect in 2012!

Wow, how cool is that going to be!! 12 acres of Cars Land!! :slight_smile:

I can’t wait…I can’t wait…I can’t wait!!! Thank you for the article R2!

A picture of the work in DCA around the Toy Story Mania area. Taken Feb 11th.:smile:

that sound so exciting. i hope to get to do that this year.