10 thoughts about the Universal Orlando Resort

[QUOTE=Andrea;1086663]Maybe it’s not real to you, Muggle.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
.[/QUOTE]

:happy::happy::happy:

I love this fact:wub:

Muggles everywhere…classic!

I can’t comment on how good the forbidden journey is; motion sickness set in and I had to close my eyes half way in. My DD (9) and DH rode about 17 times in a
two day period; needless to say, they loved it. DS thought it was good but three times was enough for him.

Perfect timing. My DS (12) and I will be there in a week (Thurs the 18th). We only have one day to spend there. We have been worried that it will not be enough. With some of your discriptions in sounds like we should be able to ride most of the rides we want to go on. We purchased the express pass so I think we will be okay.

The question I have is, should we go straight to Harry Potter first thing in the morning or wait until later in the evening? Is it less crowed in the evening? He really wants a wand.

Go straight to HP. Do not pass “Go”. Do not collect $200.00. Pass all the Muggles and get there as early as possible. Mr. Ollivander chooses one person, per “wand” session, so it’s kind of luck of the draw - but of course the wands are readily available for $35.00, whether he is chosen or not!

QUOTE=papa bear;1086631 Universal Orlando’s Horror Make-Up Show is probably the most underrated show in all of Orlando. It’s amazing! We laughed our butts off plus it’s very informative & entertaining.

This is a MUST DO.[/quote]

I completely agree! We had a spree where we went to Universal a few times. We always avoided the Horror Make-Up Show (we were younger back then) because we thought it would be too scary with the name “Horror” in it. However, we finally did it, and it is totally cool!!! And it’s funny, not really scary!

(06) And speaking of best rides, the best coaster at UOR is still, in my opinion, the Revenge of the Mummy ride. Sure, it’s WAY too short, but it’s still the best… Yes, better than the Dueling Dragons, errr, Dragon Challenge (the Montu @ BG in Tampa kicks its butt as well) and better than the head jarring Hulk (man that coaster gave both of us a headache every single time!!!).

I agree! The Mummy was my favorite ride at Universal, too. I think that’s because it’s one of the most Disney-esque.

And I also LOVE Suess Landing! It’s my favorite “Island” of IOA. Too cute!

Haha, yeah… I know we’re in the extreme minority on this one because everyone who I talked to about this ride thinks the same way you two do… That FJ is the “BEST RIDE EVER!” Heck, every time we exited the ride the people around us were shocked and amazed… And giddy as anything.

Perhaps it was the butterbeer???

SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE DETAILS OF THIS RIDE!!!

YOU’VE BEEN WARNED! :ph34r:

Now as I said before, I didn’t hate the ride. It’s really good. But I would not classify it as the best ride ever.

What I didn’t like about it was when it came to the motion simulator part, the screen was way too bright for a scene that should have been very dark. It was on par with a movie theater keeping half of its lights on during the film. Here I am flying with Harry & friends while we’re about to encounter a very cool Dragon, and even though I could make out what we were doing, I still couldn’t prevent myself from feeling annoyed by the fact that there was way too much light in the room, which naturally took away from the “movie”/simulator portion. As we all know, this continued on throughout the rest of the ride…

Second, I feel they should have made it in 3D similar to Spiderman & It’s Tough To Be A Bug… Now that would have been awesome!

Third, while I LOVED the part where the Dementors sucked the life out of you and you saw your face appear in the fog (nice touch), I still felt that the spiders we’re a bit cheesy. Don’t get me wrong, the animatronics were good, but I would have LOVED it if the spiders we’re 4D in lieu of the animatronics… Meaning, 3D computer graphics in your face w/water spitting at you and the good old “haunted house” gags to boot (similar to the bugs under your butt at the end of It’s Tough to be a Bug)…

And the animatronic Dragon was cool, but they could have done a better job w/the flames & the heat… You know, similar to the Revenge of the Mummy ride where the flames engulf the ceiling… It get’s a bit toasty in there! I’m not saying that fire should be blown at people, but they could have done something a bit better with real fire & heat…

After all of the rave reviews, I suppose I expected more. I wanted to feel the same way as I did when Spiderman the ride burst onto the scene back in the day. Now that was a technological masterpiece! It completely blew me away! It was absolutely groundbreaking (on a side note, they are refining the Spiderman Ride as we speak to bring the video in line with “current” technology/HD world). So I expected the same from FJ and it didn’t deliver.

But I loved the queue, it’s second to none. And the ride is a good one and overall I did enjoy it, but IMO it’s not the “best” by far…

Heck, DGF’s big brother want’s to “dress up” and propose to his GF at that ride!!! (can we say LAME???!!! :laugh: :laugh:)

It’s all good, like I said, I know I’m in the minority on this one…

[QUOTE=Andrea;1086663]Maybe it’s not real to you, Muggle.

Three hours? Really? Wow.:wacko: I think I’d head straight there, too, especially since the FJ queue is so cool.[/QUOTE]

Good one :happy:

[QUOTE=6Baggs4Dis;1086680]

The question I have is, should we go straight to Harry Potter first thing in the morning or wait until later in the evening? Is it less crowed in the evening? He really wants a wand.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I noticed from going on a Wed & Thurs two weeks ago… In the morning, it’s best to ride FJ right away. If you get there on the nose, you can ride it ride back to back with maybe a 30 minute wait in between. But trust me, you won’t mind the 30 minute wait because the queue is so darn COOL!

About an hour after park opening, the line for FJ was very long as was the line for the wand shop.

In the evening, we noticed that the line for FJ was still very long (even though many US staff members advised us to go there after 8:30pm) until close. BUT, the line for the wand shop was a lot smaller in the evening then it was in the morning. From rope drop on, that wand shop line was insane!

So I would recommend hitting the wand shop later in the evening as opposed to first thing in the a.m. and I would ride FJ first thing in the a.m as opposed to the p.m.

If anyone else had a different experience during a different time of year, please chime in! :happy:

[QUOTE=MickeyEars;1086667]Gwarsh, thanks Papa Bear!

Yep, Mythos decor was pretty neat.

When’s your next WDW trip? We’re going the first week in April for 9 days, with a day trip to Legoland. We’re going all out on this trip, we’ve included hoppers and the waterpark fun and more option. It’ll probably be our last WDW trip for a while, I really want to take the kids to the caribbean.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you all are definitely going “all out”… Sounds fantastic! Your kids will love the Caribbean as well. Are you thinking about a Disney Cruise for that trip?

Uh oh, you opened a can of words with that question! :ohmy:

Our next day trip to EPCOT will be 09/10 but as far as “trips” go, I JUST booked a stay (this morning) at the AKL for 10/07 – 10/09. But we’re not going to leave the resort that weekend. Instead, we’ll eat at the 3 restaurants on site, we’ll do a LOT of “relaxing” at the pool, and I think we’ll rock out some resort activities as well.

Aside from that, my Mom’s “Mother’s Day”/Birthday present is the Wild Africa Trek at AK so we’ll do that around the end of Oct.

We’ll also stop in at the F & W Festival a couple of times during its run, I have a ressie at Le Cellier on 11/11/11 and we always go to WDW the first 3 weekends before Christmas to enjoy all of the parks festivities including the Candlelight Processional package (which is a must do).

Plus, we’ll sprinkle in a few more “day trips” between now and the end of the year…

Nah, we’re not fans of Disney by any stretch of the imagination… :cool:

We were there last September - middle of the month and it was a Monday. We came for opening and for some reason they even let us in earlier. We didn’t stop to ask why. Of course we hightailed it straight to HP. There was literally no wait at FJ. We were quickly ushered straight through the queue. When we were finished we were able to rejoin the queue and had about a 15 minute wait - which was good because it gave us a chance to go through the queue slowly this time - and I agree - the queue is not to be missed! Outstanding! Because DH suffers from being a wuss - he didn’t ride the second time, but chose to look around. When we found him after our second journey, he was already in line at Ollivander’s. It was about a 15 to 20 minute wait once we joined him. Perhaps he had been waiting about 10 minutes already. By the time we were finished in Ollivander’s the crowds were growing, but definitely not unmanageable. The only place that was exceptionally crowded was Honeyduke’s. We left HP after approximately 2 hours, but returned for lunch at the 3 Broomsticks. We waited only about 10 minutes to order our food and be seated. I guess we were very lucky, because since then I have read how unbelievable the crowds have been. We’ll be back the middle of Oct. Hopefully we’ll have another positive experience.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1086685]I completely agree! We had a spree where we went to Universal a few times. We always avoided the Horror Make-Up Show (we were younger back then) because we thought it would be too scary with the name “Horror” in it. However, we finally did it, and it is totally cool!!! And it’s funny, not really scary!

I agree! The Mummy was my favorite ride at Universal, too. I think that’s because it’s one of the most Disney-esque.

And I also LOVE Suess Landing! It’s my favorite “Island” of IOA. Too cute![/QUOTE]

LOL I agree, the Mummy ride is “Disney-esque”… Great minds think alike! :happy:

All the many years we have been coming to Florida, I have only been to US just once. I have never been to IOA or to HP Land!
The reason being, the first (and only) visit, was spent comparing it to WDW and of course it just doesn’t have that Disney magic. Also DD was only 3 years old and at that time there didn’t seem too many little kid attractions. We took her on Jaws and she screamed the place down- we hurriedly left and have never been back! Maybe we should give it another try, especially after reading what you guys have said, it sounds alot of fun.

[QUOTE=dixie;1086738]All the many years we have been coming to Florida, I have only been to US just once. I have never been to IOA or to HP Land!
The reason being, the first (and only) visit, was spent comparing it to WDW and of course it just doesn’t have that Disney magic. Also DD was only 3 years old and at that time there didn’t seem too many little kid attractions. We took her on Jaws and she screamed the place down- we hurriedly left and have never been back! Maybe we should give it another try, especially after reading what you guys have said, it sounds alot of fun.[/QUOTE]

You really should Karen!

Don’t try to compare it to Disney. There is no comparison. Just go with the attitude of having a fun day and trying some new stuff,. not “this isn’t Disney” No, Universal doesn’t have Disney “magic” - but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have absolutely terrific attractions - they do. We enjoy both parks and are usually able to spend one full day and do and see everything we want. At IOA - aside from HP which is in a league of its own - we love Spiderman and the Jurassic Park ride. I boycott Dudley DoRight because a) I hate getting wet and you get SOAKED and b) they have a map inside the queue intimating that Dudley is from MINNESOTA! :glare: Since when does a Mountie come from Minnesota? (I guess that was the furthest north Floridians could fathom). At last check Minnesota was not a province of Canada. Anyway, I digress…

At US The Mummy (wild and beware of whiplash), Men in Black, The Simpsons Ride and ET are A++ attractions and shouldn’t be missed. As noted, the Rocky Horror Makeup Show (and the Shrek movie) are really funny and after “family” oriented Disney humour, something a little “naughtier” is refreshing and fun. On the quieter side, I always love to go through the I Love Lucy display.

We’re not “coaster” people (one ride on The Hulk was enough for me!) but there are plenty to try for those who are!

[QUOTE=dixie;1086738]All the many years we have been coming to Florida, I have only been to US just once. I have never been to IOA or to HP Land!
The reason being, the first (and only) visit, was spent comparing it to WDW and of course it just doesn’t have that Disney magic. Also DD was only 3 years old and at that time there didn’t seem too many little kid attractions. We took her on Jaws and she screamed the place down- we hurriedly left and have never been back! Maybe we should give it another try, especially after reading what you guys have said, it sounds alot of fun.[/QUOTE]

Definitely give it another try! You won’t be sorry that you did. While you can’t compare it to Disney, it does have its own plus points. In my opinion, The Mummy, Men In Black & Spiderman are the greatest attractions (haven’t been on FJ yet, will be at the end of this month). It’s not the kind of place I can go over and over and over again, like we do with Disney, but every 3-5 years we make it a point to visit.

Ok, thanks Janice and Kero, I definitely will. I think our first experience was so traumatic it kind of coloured our view- we paid x amount of dollars and went on one ride! But as I said, that was over 18 years ago! I know they have spent alot of serious money on their parks, and so it would be cool to go back and give it another try.

[QUOTE=papa bear;1086733]Your kids will love the Caribbean as well. Are you thinking about a Disney Cruise for that trip?

Uh oh, you opened a can of words with that question! :ohmy:

Plus, we’ll sprinkle in a few more “day trips” between now and the end of the year…

Nah, we’re not fans of Disney by any stretch of the imagination… :cool:[/QUOTE]

Since we couldn’t swing a trip to the real caribbean next year, we’re staying at the Caribbean beach resort; I can pretend I’m really in the caribbean while lying enjoying the pool area. I told my DH that we need to enjoy the resort pool and have a few drinks while the kiddies swim. Give me a pina colada, a palm tree and a lounger and I’m a happy girl.:laugh:

No Disney cruise, DH has NO interest. :glare:

I know if we lived as close to WDW as you we’d be there all the time too.

You’re upcoming AKL resort stay sounds WONDERFUL! Saana and Boma are two of my favorite restaurants. Enjoy!

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1086636]What is this Universal Orlando Resort about which you speak?
Is this in the new fantasy land expansion?[/QUOTE]

your kidding right…right

Thank you so much for this detailed review! You spent a lot of time and effort on it and it has and will be helpful to many of our members.

Even though we have been to Uni many times (I have older boys and they much prefer it to WDW), we have yet to experience HP. But it appears we may get a quick trip in at the end of Sept, if things work out for us, so I was thrilled to find your review. I especially like your hint about hitting Olivanders in the evening.

My only concern is whiplash. I have it right now from a fall and am hoping not only that it heals in time, but also that the Uni action rides don’t aggravate it. How tough/jerky is the new new HP coaster? (I know to stay off the Hulk…that hurts my head every time)

[QUOTE=ddoll;1087948]Thank you so much for this detailed review! You spent a lot of time and effort on it and it has and will be helpful to many of our members.

Even though we have been to Uni many times (I have older boys and they much prefer it to WDW), we have yet to experience HP. But it appears we may get a quick trip in at the end of Sept, if things work out for us, so I was thrilled to find your review. I especially like your hint about hitting Olivanders in the evening.

My only concern is whiplash. I have it right now from a fall and am hoping not only that it heals in time, but also that the Uni action rides don’t aggravate it. How tough/jerky is the new new HP coaster? (I know to stay off the Hulk…that hurts my head every time)[/QUOTE]

You’re very welcome! Thanks for reading. And I’m sorry to hear about your whiplash! I hope you get better soon…

The Dragon Coaster is exactly the same coaster as the Dueling Dragons coaster prior to HP land. The Forbidden Journey ride is a Dark Ride that implements various elements such as a simulator ride, a robocoaster and of course, stereotypical dark ride features.

The robocoaster looks something like this and you will move around quite a bit as well. If I had whiplash, I would not go on the ride personally…