11 days till we leave and we almost had to cancel

Just had to share this news with all of you, last Tuesday evening 11 days prior to us departing on the trip of a lifetime, my DH brother was killed in an automobile accident, leaving behind a wife and a 7 year old son. My DH, DD, mother in law, brother in law, 2 sister in laws and nephew are all heading for Disney on 5/26. Last Tuesday night right before supper the phone rang and we received the devastating news, we immediately thought we were going to have to cancel, b/c how could we go on this trip after losing a son, brother, brother in law, uncle (thats what he was to all of us travleing). After a long week of funeral arrangements and a funeral we all agreed with lots of convincing that this trip would be the best medicine for all of us.

So, we are heading to SSR on 5/26 till 6/3, has anyone had similar experience?

Thanks for letting me share.

Thankfully, I have not had a similar experience but wanted you to know I’m so sorry…you and your family are in my thoughts.

That’s awful news. I’m really sorry for you and your families loss. My thoughts are with you all.

A couple of years ago I won a free trip to Vegas, I won it on Wednesday, it was very exciting. They were putting us up in some really nice digs. Then on Friday I had gotten a call in the morning that my grandfather had passed away. The funeral services were the following Monday and I was to fly out the following week. I didn’t really think it was appropriate to go on a vacation after something like that, but I decided to go away anyway. It’s sometimes the best therapy.

I am not all that keen on flying so it’s always nerve racking for me. I was on the earliest flight out in the morning, just as the sun was rising. I looked out of the window and there was the purplish, blueish, morning sky and it was beautiful. I started to cry and said to myself “I am where Grandpa is so everything will be alright.” It was hard loosing him but that small experience made the healing process a little bit easier.

I am so very sorry for you loss. You shouldn’t feel guilty for going on your trip. I think time with your family to mourn a loss is a good idea. It doesn’t matter where you spend that time together. I do hope that you all have a magcial trip and find some peace in your hearts. :heart:

Two years ago we had a trip planned for the middle of January. Well, my father-in-law passed away the day after Christmas. I thought for sure my husband wasn’t going to want to go that soon after his passing. He shocked me when he said he still felt we should go and it would be a good thing to help cheer up the kids after losing their grandfather. I think he was right. We did have a good time. My father-in-law would have wanted us to go and would have been furious if the kids didn’t go because of him. There was nothing he liked more than seeing those kids happy.

That’s awful! I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I do hope you have a magical time on your trip!

Cnstinkerbell, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss.

Two weeks before our trip to DLR in December, my boyfriends Mother passed away. She had been fighting breast cancer and then bone cancer for years and had been in the hospital for several months, so it didn’t come as a surprise, but was hard none-the-less. He wasn’t going to go, but then at the several days before our departure he decided to go anyways.

I think it was really good for him. It got his mind off of everything and allowed him to have a little fun. He also knew that his Mom would want not to dwell on her but to have fun.

Hope you guys have a wonderful time.

My heart goes out to you at this sad time. Laughing at WDW will be the best medicine.

I truly hope the magic helps heal your hearts! All our thoughts are with you and your family.

I’m so sorry. I hope you have a magical trip.

I am so sorry! That is a terrible thing to have happen. I hope you’ll enjoy your vacation. It sounds like you all really need it now.

I’m sorry for your loss… I know the Disney magic will take away the pain if only for a few days… my thoughts and prayers are will you

sorry to hear about your terrible loss. I know that it is hard on your family.

I have not had anything like this happen to us, but we were talking to a mom (waiting for the parade on Main Street) who had lost her husband in a car wreck (this was right before Christmas). He survived the accident and was able to tell her that if he did not survive, he wanted her to do something special with the kids for Christmas. Sadly he did not survive, but they were at Disney for two weeks for their "something special). She had called WDW and told them the situation… WDW had made their trip very memorable and had done a lot of special things for them. She said that she was so impressed at how wonderful they had been. I remember that she said that WDW had asked her to send any Christmas presents for her sons ahead of time… She said that Mickey was going to deliver the presents that morning…

Just remember that WDW is a very special place and it is a great place to spend time with your family. Have a great trip and enjoy each other!

We are so sorry to here about your lose. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you from the Wing Rider family. Have a safe and trip.

What a terrible thing to have happen, I’m so sorry for you.

Go and have a good trip and bring his memory with you.

I’m so sorry for your terrible loss. I’m sure your holiday and some Disney magic will help bring your family even closer and help you to heal.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Life is so fleeting.
Although it may be difficult, I hope that you will find some joy during your trip.

I am so sorry for your loss. May his spirit be with you all on your trip! Have a great time and raise a glass for him! God bless you all!

I am sorry for your family’s loss. I hope you and your family can enjoy the Disney magic and help it heal the pain in your hearts. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. My dad passed away in December right before my DD’s birthday, and 2 weeks before Christmas. Our first Christmas was miserable. DH and I decided that we would spend the next Christmas (last year) at Disney. Dad would not want us to be sad and moping during the holidays. We will be going back this year for Christmas. It helps me get through the pain of the holidays without my dad.

I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family. (((Hugs)))