1985 Resort - what is it now?

in the summer of 1985 I spent 2 weeks on property at a resort. Back then, I believe it was “The Hilton”. For some reason I think I am almost positive it was the Hilton. What is it now? We rode the Monorail everywhere.

Also, we ate on a Dinner Cruise - is that still around.

There is a Hilton on property by Downtown Disney.

If you got on the monorail at the actual hotel, that was not it. It would have to be the Polynesian, or the Contemporary, or maybe the Grand Floridian (can’t remember when it was actually built). My bet is the Contemporary. Did the monorail go through the hotel’s atrium?

[QUOTE=dadofthree;937094]in the summer of 1985 I spent 2 weeks on property at a resort. Back then, I believe it was “The Hilton”. For some reason I think I am almost positive it was the Hilton. What is it now? We rode the Monorail everywhere.

Also, we ate on a Dinner Cruise - is that still around.[/QUOTE]

From when Walt Disney World opened in 1971 until the Grand Floridian opened in 1988, there were only two hotels on the monorail line, Disney’s Contemporary Resort and Disney’s Polynesian Resort. They’ve never changed names; neither was even a Hilton property. And now with the GF, there are only 3 on any monorail line.

Perhaps what you don’t recall was driving (or being driven to) Disney’s Transportation & Ticket Center, parking there, and then taking a tram or walking to the monorail system where you could have caught a monorail to Magic Kingdom or a separate one to Epcot (then called EPCOT Center).

Would have been either Poly or Contemp. Nothing else on monorail back then.

Now you have Grand Floridian and in Aug the 1st DVC on the rail…Bay Lake Towers.

Ain’t no Hilton on the monorail beam.
Ain’t no Hilton next to any park.
The only non Disney hotels outside the DTD hotel row would be the Starwood operated Swan and Dolphin.

The only dinner cruise available now is a charter of the Grand One yacht.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;937500]Would have been either Poly or Contemp. Nothing else on monorail back then.

Now you have Grand Floridian and in Aug the 1st DVC on the rail…Bay Lake Towers.[/QUOTE]Technically, BLT isn’t on the monorail beam. There is an elevated walkway connecting BLT to Contemporary … can’t remember if it connects to Contemporary’s 4th or 5th floor, but you get the idea. Guests/owners at BLT will have to walk over the bridge to Contemporary to catch the resort monorail.

I know this may seem nit-picky, but I didn’t want people to think that WDW is adding a monorail stop to the resort beam.

It’s also possible to charter any boat (such as for a Wishes or IllumiNations cruise) and arrange to have dinner on the boat. You’d accomplish this by contacting the “private dining” department of the resort where the particular boat is docked. Private dining will provide whatever food/beverage/dessert you are willing to pay for. But of course, you have to be willing to pay for it … a simple 8-inch birthday cake on a cruise just cost me $42.04.

You talked me out of it…I would have done 42.03.:laugh:

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;937666]Technically, BLT isn’t on the monorail beam. There is an elevated walkway connecting BLT to Contemporary … can’t remember if it connects to Contemporary’s 4th or 5th floor, but you get the idea. Guests/owners at BLT will have to walk over the bridge to Contemporary to catch the resort monorail.

I know this may seem nit-picky, but I didn’t want people to think that WDW is adding a monorail stop to the resort beam.[/QUOTE]

That’s correct. The resort is on the monorail line not the actual building. The bridge connects to the monorail platform on the 4th floor. It is the only DVC (yet) with monorail service.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;937511]Ain’t no Hilton on the monorail beam.
Ain’t no Hilton next to any park.
The only non Disney hotels outside the DTD hotel row would be the Starwood operated Swan and Dolphin.

The only dinner cruise available now is a charter of the Grand One yacht.[/QUOTE]

Are the Swan and Dolphin owned by Starwood or are they like Shades of Green (formerly Disney Inn) and on a long term lease?

We started coming to DW in 1983 and back then there was just the Comtemporary and Poly on the monorail.
I seem to remember there being a cruise that left from the dock at the Comtemporary. I don’t remember it being a dinner cruise… I remember it being a moonlite cruise…
Also the river boat at Downtown Disney used to be called the Empress Lilly, and we had very nice dinners there, but I can’t remember it leaving dock, it could have tho…
Maybe this will trigger someone elses memory…

[QUOTE=dizkidz2;938816]Also the river boat at Downtown Disney used to be called the Empress Lilly, and we had very nice dinners there, but I can’t remember it leaving dock, it could have tho…
Maybe this will trigger someone elses memory…[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed a character breakfast on the Empress Lily in 1990. The original Chef Mickey’s was just down the path from there.

Good luck getting a boat for IllumiNations!
That’s even harder to get than a reservation at Chef Mickey’s and le Cellier combined.
Unlike Magic Kingdom fireworks cruises, there are is only room for 6 boats under the bridge. Of those 6, one is set aside for premium vacation plan guests. One boat is available for each of the Disney resorts and they are not shared by guests. That leaves 2 and you’d better be a concierge guest if you want any hopes of reserving one of them.

I’m not quite sure, but I believe they are not Disney owned buildings.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;938871]Good luck getting a boat for IllumiNations!
That’s even harder to get than a reservation at Chef Mickey’s and le Cellier combined.
[/QUOTE]

We lucked out on our last trip. Were were making a trip around the Boardwalk after dinner in Epcot. We were flagged down by a CM just near the dock. He was a boat captain and he was short guests for a full boat. He offered a complimentary boat tour and a stop for Illuminations - offered as a Disney Magical Moment. There was one other couple on the boat for a grand total of 4 passengers. It was a great surprise and capped off our short vacation perfectly. :pirate:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;938871]Good luck getting a boat for IllumiNations!
Unlike Magic Kingdom fireworks cruises, there are is only room for 6 boats under the bridge. Of those 6, one is set aside for premium vacation plan guests. One boat is available for each of the Disney resorts and they are not shared by guests. That leaves 2 and you’d better be a concierge guest if you want any hopes of reserving one of them.[/QUOTE]I enjoyed an IllumiNations cruise on 2/12, 2 weeks ago today. I called 407-WDW-PLAY about 3 months in advance. During my 7 potential nights, 5 nights were still open. Not on the premium plan. Not a Y&BC guest. Not staying concierge. Not a problem.