1st time car rental-help!?

Of all the times we’ve gone to WDW, we’ve never rented a car (except when I was a kid with my family-obviously I didn’t pay too much attention back then). We’ve always relied on WDW transportation, so I know nothing about parking, driving, etc. This time, we are renting a car for a few days to go outside of WDW. I just need to know the simple logistics of it all:

1. I know there is a security gate thing…how does that work? :huh:Do I have to show my room key or something? What if we are going to a resort just for dining and we aren’t staying there?
  2. How do I get free parking? I am a DVC member, Tables in wonderland holder, and AP holder, all of which (I believe) entitle me to free parking. Do I have to show one of those passes? If so, where, when and to whom?
  3. At the resorts, WHERE do I park? For instance, we are staying at AKV-kidani village (woohoo!):AK: and we’re not planning on doing valet, but we want to be SOMEWHAT near our room. At the parks, I assume they sort of direct you where to park, and you just hike it over to the entrance?
  4. Since we’ll have a car, where is good (i.e. inexpensive) place to get groceries and to get gas prior to dropping the car off?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don’t want to be driving around like a “tourist” (even though we totally are). Thanks in advance for ANY advice.
:mickey::wacko:

When you pull up to the gate of the resort, you tell them your name & they let you on through. Upon check in you will receive a piece of paper that has the length of stay on it and you place that in the front dash. If you go to the parks or other resorts they see that & you get the free parking because you’re resort guest.

There is a Walmart or grocery store near WDW resort area. We’ve always gone to the Walmart in Kissimmee for our groceries because we shop at one at home so we know what prices are going to be.

Hope this helps!:mickey:

1. Where are you planning renting the car from? All the times that we rented we did it from Orlando Airport and went with Dollar rental.
    In ref to the gate Im assuming that you mean the one at your resort. You have 2 options, you can show your room key and sometimes ID to the CM guard or you can use your room key in the machine and it raises the gate for you etc.
  2. With reguards to parking, since you are staying on property when you check in you will be given a parking pass and just put that on your dashboard and you are good go. When you are going to other resorts either for dinner, to look around etc you will have to go to the security gate with the CM and just tell them why you are there, sometimes they will just let you use the resort parking pass that you have or they will give you a guest parking pass. it depends on the resort and/or CM security. At the parks they have parking CM there that will point you were to park and then you can walk to the main entrance of the park that you are at or you can take the tram and they will drive you to the main entrance.
  3. With reguards to the parking at kidani village I havent stayed there yet so I dont know how the parking works if it close to the buildings or if its going to be like AKL where its an open parking spot and walk across to the main house. (Sorry)
  4. When we go shopping for our food/supplies we usually go to Walmart which is close to SSR (about a 10 mon drive) or we go to Goodings which is on CR 535 near I4 right near DTD

I hope this helps ya out… No worries Disney is very easy to get around and you will learn things very quickly… :O) OoO

[QUOTE=Live life;941907]When you pull up to the gate of the resort, you tell them your name & they let you on through. Upon check in you will receive a piece of paper that has the length of stay on it and you place that in the front dash. If you go to the parks or other resorts they see that & you get the free parking because you’re resort guest.

There is a Walmart or grocery store near WDW resort area. We’ve always gone to the Walmart in Kissimmee for our groceries because we shop at one at home so we know what prices are going to be.

Hope this helps!:mickey:[/QUOTE]

I can’t really add to anything Live life has already told you, except to say we always have rental and have never had any problems at resorts, parks or anywhere else.
When you come back to your resort you can either wait and the security guy waves you through after checking your window parking permit slip or your room key or go through the other barrier which lifts after you insert your room key (This is POR dont know how anywhere else works)

Just pay attention to the signs on property. If it says that your turn is the next right, and there is a turn 30 feet ahead- that was the one they meant… they are fairly well marked, but I think not as easily marked as regular highway signs…

Maybe I am distracted by the hidden mickey signs though.

Have a safe trip.

Thanks for all the tips-seems like I’m worrying a bit much for nothing. It seems like it should be pretty easy. Thanks again!