2010 point charts

Has anyone else seen the 2010 point charts? They are up on the members site.

Yes - and I was checking out threads on a few other sites. I am still trying to digest the changes. While I thought DVC could only change the “seasons”, I was obviously mistaken. My best understanding is that the overall/grant total points for space cannot change - but I am not sure that I have even that right.

Points are up for weeknight stays (sun-thur) and down for weekends. DVC says point totals for the week are about the same (I forget the exact wording). Some point totals for the week are up - and some have dropped. I see some typical booking for us where the point total will be up by 10-15 points.

I am not sure how to take this all in at the moment. A 10 point change can make or break a vacation.

I hav eto go check out the charts – but I am not surprised they are lowering the points for weekends. I bet they are sick of Sunday-Thursday trips.

*** Anyway – I understood that at your home resort, the points required are locked in at the level they were when you joined? Is that wrong???

[QUOTE=MissDisney;927415]
*** Anyway – I understood that at your home resort, the points required are locked in at the level they were when you joined? Is that wrong???[/QUOTE]

That was my understanding - but I think it might be more complicated than that. I haven’t seen a very clear explanation and I didn’t pull out my contracts. It sounds like there may be some leeway for DVC to juggle the points provided that the end total for the combined stays is not great. Knock a few off here add a few more there.

But again - I could be way off base. :confused:

Update to my post -

Not sure about the policy of linking to another site, but here is the best explanation I have found:

DVCNews.com: News, Fun, Friends! The essential Disney Vacation Club resource! - UPDATED: DVC Reallocates Points for 2010

Sounds like DVC can (and did) reallocate points - even for your home resort. Only 2nd time in 18 years. :glare:

[QUOTE=MissDisney;927415]I have to go check out the charts – but I am not surprised they are lowering the points for weekends. I bet they are sick of Sunday-Thursday trips.

*** Anyway – I understood that at your home resort, the points required are locked in at the level they were when you joined? Is that wrong???[/QUOTE]

DVC can reallocate/rearrange the points but can’t change the total number of points for the year.

The reality is if you stayed Sun night thru Thurs night to save points, you are going to take a hit. A short weekend stay like we are doing this weekend (Thur night thru Sat night) would actually be fewer points under the new system.

That’s what I’m seeing. This change doesn’t bother me because we aren’t Sunday through Thursday people. We book our whole trip on points including weekends so this really won’t hurt us.

There are ONLY a set number of points for each room. (This is the real estate interest they sell.)

The total of what DVC charges for this room cannot exceed this number of points they sell per unit each year. (They can’t sell 52 weeks worth but raise the point price so that the points we purchases only equals 48 weeks worth then rent the other four weeks for cash.) THAT’S what stays the same.

But they can and do change seasons and as we are seeing for 2010 the weekend/weeknight rates. For example if the Christmas/New Years 2 week permium time frame became 3 weeks they would have to reduce other weeks by the amount they increase the extra premium week. So if they charge more for a time frame (weeknights) they have to offset it by lowering the points somewhere else (weekends) - which is what they are doing for 2010.

This is a change that I actually agree with. The weekend rates are SO much higher. Personally, I’d like to see the rooms priced by season only with no difference in weekends. But they didn’t ask me. :laugh:

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;927423]
This is a change that I actually agree with. The weekend rates are SO much higher. Personally, I’d like to see the rooms priced by season only with no difference in weekends. But they didn’t ask me. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

The weekend/weekday balance was off and this is an attempt to fix that. I’m sure this is really going to hurt people that bought exactly enough points for their typical stay because it isn’t exactly evening out but it’s close. Our typical week in July stayed exactly the same but adding a couple of week nights to extend it is going to cost us a few extra points, oh well.

I am looking at the charts right now, and I don’t see many instances where there is a lower point rate for any room type. I am looking at BWV and BCV for 2009 and 2010.

This is a LOT higher in all room categories and in all seasons EXCEPT the Magic Season, and a very few exceptions in the Adventure season.

For us, this is all very bad news, frankly. I thought I had understood completely that your home resort points requirements would never change. Which, frankly, was one of the deciding factors in our purchase.

I am really and truly freaking out about this… I won’t say mad, but really upset.

The weekend point cost of a BCV studio went down from 32 points to 27 points. Weekdays went up from 14 to 16 points. However, the total for the week (July/Magic Season) stayed exactly the same.

Looks like we’ll be trying for a BCV room instead of BWV then. Grrrr… BWV took a big hit.

The total number of points for the year has to be the same so some nights had to go down to balance the nights that went up.

I happen to think they just need to reallocate the points to balance usage based upon demand. It’s obvious that many members have purchased points only for Sun-Thu stays, and the demand for Sun-Thu stays greatly exceeds the demand for Fri-Sat stays. So, it is reasonable for DVC to reallocate points based upon demand/usage by members.

Of course, if I were someone who did an add-on specifically for booking a particular resort at the 11-mo window for a weekday stay, I wouldn’t be very happy.

I checked my four planned trips in 2010, and each and every one of them now requires less points than under the prior points chart. I guess I’m a happy camper! :happy:

You’re right, there are members who bought a certain number of points based on current point charts and they may now find that they don’t have enough points for their typical vacation. I feel bad for them.

Looks like I may have to invest in a few more points!

Since I work weekends, I’m planning my trips Mon-Fri so the new point charts are a bit of a surprise. I am glad for you weekend-trippers though… I think this is a bit more fair and balanced for you guys. :o)

I have played with the chart for over an hour at this point, and I guess our ability to get the same sort of vacations will be determined on how flexible we can be with travel.

I mean, it seems to me that you have to force a weekend into the trip in order to come out the same. But weekend air is much higher, and so that has been a factor in the decision to travel weekdays as much as the DVC points has.

I guess it is what it is. I am just really sad that I had understood that by buying into BWV, we had locked in those point requirements for the life of the membership.

After the sweeping changes this year, I am concerned for future changes.

This all makes me very unhappy. We make most of our trips (even before DVC) in the fall. So when we picked the number of points we looks at those numbers. For the 2009 yr we have 4 trips, in 2010 the same trips will cost about 30 points more. Yes, they were mostly sun-thur trips, but that’s how we planned to use the points when we bought in. We too were told the only time points would change (aside from the holiday calender drift) was if the government came up with some new holiday, so points could go up but then they would go down somewhere else. We haven’t even sent back the paperwork for BLT and now we find out it’s cost more. We had first planned to get 60 points getting the cheapest studio at the cheapest season or four nights one level up in season. Now that wouldn’t have been possible. But we had decided to go for 100 points, so at least we are covered. As far as the weekend costing more points, yes, I thought they were very high, but that’s why we mostly don’t use them. Just like before DVC, we stayed at value resorts, not at higher levels because we didn’t think they were worth it. When we did we tried to stay in the cheapest DVC at the time. For one trip it was AKV value studio, the other BWV standard room.

And this thing about raising usage on weekends, I don’t get the problem…If the dvc’s have X amount of sun -thur rooms an everybody wants those rooms, at some point people will get shut out, right? People will have to use weekends and/or cash rooms. The total points (dues) are already paid for, so does it matter if the rooms sit empty on the weekend? The only added cost I can see is housekeeping. On the fouth day it would be trash and towel, and then the next day (checkout) a full cleaning. So can someone explain this to me?

[QUOTE=MissDisney;927586]

I guess it is what it is. I am just really sad that I had understood that by buying into BWV, we had locked in those point requirements for the life of the membership.

After the sweeping changes this year, I am concerned for future changes.[/QUOTE]

I understand your concern about future changes. The fact that DVC made two big changes with no real notice bothers me more than the changes.

The points have changed in the past, back in the mid 90’s OKW point charts changed and the point chart for BWV changed to included booking categories. With this only happening once most members either didn’t know it could happen or didn’t think it would happen. Either way, this has upset more than a few members.

I am pretty sure the CMs in the 2010 meeting were aware of travel patterns and chose to disregard them, because by lowering point values for the weekends, they ensured that the weekends would fill up, with the added bonus of forcing DVC members to have to book some of those newly expensive week days because nobody will fly down for just two nights! Everyone will have to fork over the big points for some weeknights to make it worth the airfare.

Basically, they are hurting those of us who counted on the lower point values of weeknight stays to allow us to book Sunday-Thursday and get a 5-night vacation for a particular number of points.

I wish they had come up with a better way. This hurts a whole lot of people.