2012 Hurricane Season

Thought I would start a thread to post hurricane info seeing the season is starting to heat up.

So far it has been a fairly wet summer. Lots of afternoon showers with heavy down pours with lots of thunder and lighting.

We are up to Tropical Storm 9 which has the possibility of effecting central Florida by this weekend early next week. I will post updates and tracks as warranted.

Here is the current track for TD 9.

Advanced projections for TD 9

Ok…being we fly in Saturday…what might this mean for next week? :slight_smile: we have the ponchos packed already…lol!

Most likely mean it will be extra wet next week. Seeing that the models out right now have it crossing Cuba means it most likely won’t be a huge storm (again on current models).

Shouldn’t really affect central FL until late Monday to mid Tuesday. Move through by early Thursday…unless it stalls.

Be prepared for wet and windy.

We have typhoon lagoon thursday so a short shower to clear everyone out would be awesome! Lol! Does it appear that it will be straight rain or are there usually breaks like normal storms just stronger? We love storms if we can still get around :slight_smile:
Thanks for the updates Tigger!

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1120261]We have typhoon lagoon thursday so a short shower to clear everyone out would be awesome! Lol! Does it appear that it will be straight rain or are there usually breaks like normal storms just stronger? We love storms if we can still get around :slight_smile:
Thanks for the updates Tigger![/QUOTE]

Depends on how is will pass over us Zoey. If it’s passing as a tropical depression/storm or hurricane it will be a constant barrage of wind and rain. It will happen on either side of the storm until the general storm passes. Prior to the “storm” and post “storm” passing there will be feeder bands that will pass for the next couple of hours, those will be on and off of wind and rain.

Keep an eye on it as well if you’re flying in. They will close the airports as soon as a hurricane warning has been issued. If we’re under a watch they will not close the airports but under a warning they will. I think the warning means the storm is imminent within the next 24 hours? Once the warning is announced they allow flights that are within approximately 2-3 hours of landing, to land, and very few will go out.

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1120261]We have typhoon lagoon thursday so a short shower to clear everyone out would be awesome! Lol! Does it appear that it will be straight rain or are there usually breaks like normal storms just stronger? We love storms if we can still get around :slight_smile:

This has been a pretty typical summer, pleasant dry, sunny mornings with high chance of short storm in the afternoon. Storms have been a little intense (lost of thunder and lighting and torrent downpours) but the worst blow through quickly (hours, hour and half). One thing that has been a little different is that the cloud cover has stuck around so it has been dark late afternoon…somedays it is like night comes really early.

Bring your ponchos, flip-flops, and quick dry underwear.

[QUOTE=DisneyFreak78;1120263]…

Keep an eye on it as well if you’re flying in. They will close the airports as soon as a hurricane warning has been issued. If we’re under a watch they will not close the airports but under a warning they will. I think the warning means the storm is imminent within the next 24 hours? Once the warning is announced they allow flights that are within approximately 2-3 hours of landing, to land, and very few will go out.[/QUOTE]

Warning means that is going to hit you and you are already feeling the effect :laugh:

When they declare a weather emergency toll roads are free so I go and drive up and down all the toll roads I can…FREE!!! FREE!!! FREE!!!

[QUOTE=tigger;1120266]Warning means that is going to hit you and you are already feeling the effect :laugh:

When they declare a weather emergency toll roads are free so I go and drive up and down all the toll roads I can…FREE!!! FREE!!! FREE!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn’t 100% on what happened with the warning and when exactly the airport closed.

And I’ll have to try that next time with the toll roads (hopefully not this time). :laugh:

Interesting to note is that the Republican National Convention is in Tampa next week. Being that I live in Tampa I am already going to try and avoid downtown. If the storm heads towards downtown, where the convention is, it will be more of a mess than it is predicted to be.

I am keeping close eye on the activity in the tropics myself since I will be down in south Florida/Mexico for 10 days next month for my honeymoon. It is always taking a chance this time of the year headed down that way but al least on a cruise ship they can steer clear of the storms. Thanks for keeping us posted.

TD #10 is right behind TS #9…no projections on path yet but it is close enough that it will most likely follow TS #9 until approaches the Caribbean. I will update when more info is available.

The Issac track looks to be moving easterly…I will put up new projections tomorrow morning.

Tigger,
Is that a good or bad thing? Will have to try to watch the weather channel!!! :slight_smile:
Thanks for taking the time to update. I appreciate checking in on breaks!

Will be following your posts as we are getting close to being there also. Thanks for the local updates.

I am on my ipad so it is hard to get the image links to post.

The projected tracks are starting to move to the east. This means that more likely it will hit Florida…the lower it hits the state the less power it will have when it gets to central Florida. Also the fact that the tracks are bending east so soon mean there is a stronger likelyhood it will push east into the Atlantic and miss us all together.

The biggest factor to watch is the cold low pressure system to the north of Florida if that strengthen it will continue to push Issac east. If it weakens…

The cold front itself is giving us lots of rain, wind, and over cast skies…mostly in the mid and late afternoon.

I will get new tracks up tomorrow and hopefully there will be new info on TS#10 as well.

I’ve learned living here it is best to be informed, prepare as best you can, and don’t freak out. I will do my best at getting you info and answering any questions.

[QUOTE=tigger;1120246]Thought I would start a thread to post hurricane info seeing the season is starting to heat up.
[/QUOTE]

Here’s your 2012 Hurricanes’ season:

Saturday, Sept. 1: at Boston College

Saturday, Sept. 8: at Kansas State

Saturday Sept. 15: BETHUNE-COOKMAN

Saturday, Sept. 22: at Georgia Tech

Saturday, Sept. 29: NORTH CAROLINA STATE

Saturday, Oct. 6: vs. Notre Dame at Soldier Field in Chicago

Saturday, Oct. 13: NORTH CAROLINA

Saturday, Oct. 20: FLORIDA STATE

BYE WEEK

Thursday night, Nov. 1: VIRGINIA TECH (ESPN)

Saturday, Nov. 10: at Virginia

Saturday, Nov. 17: SOUTH FLORIDA

Saturday, Nov. 24: at Duke

Note: The ACC championship game is Saturday, Dec. 1, in Charlotte, N.C.

Home games in CAPS.

Someone had to say it:cheshire:

[QUOTE=DisneyFreak78;1120271]Thanks for the clarification, I wasn’t 100% on what happened with the warning and when exactly the airport closed.
[/QUOTE]

And you’ve lived in South Florida how long?
This is stuff we know almost on a primal level.

Watch is X or Y storm conditions possible in the next 36 hours.
Warning is X or Y storm conditions likely in the next 36 hours.
Airports close when all concerned decide it’s time to stop flying and time to get their planes out of town and out of danger. I seem to recall MIA flights stopped by 6 PM the evening before Andrew came ashore.
I can’t recall when they stopped when Katrina came through because that kind of caught everyone a little unprepared because it intensified quickly and made a radical course change just before landfall.

X is trop storm, Y is hurricane.

If (and that’s a BIG IF) Issac follows this track exactly, it should tear itself apart on the Cuban mountains. If it shifts south of Cuba and doesn’t make the turn until it’s close to the Yucatan, Florida probably won’t have to worry.
If it shifts north slightly, South Florida’s boned because there’s nothing of consequence to slow down the storm or tear it up, short of wind shear.

Magic 8 Ball says: “Future cloudy and uncertain”
This means, we’re far far too soon to be able to make any sort of forecast a week out. The Hurricane Center only does 5 days and days 4 and 5 are always very uncertain. Currently, the line only goes as far as the north coast of Cuba on Sunday afternoon.

Just be ready for anything.
Including park closings, no Disney Transport, and being stuck in your room without power.