2013 Disney Marathon Discount

For those interested in running the Disney Marathon or Half Marathon, Disney Visa is offering a $15 discount if you register by 6/19/12. Pretty cool! :cool:

And yes, once again, I will be there lumbering in the half marathon!

Just finished at 5K and was going to start training for a 1/2 marathon but have shin splints; have you dealt with these and if so what did you do to help them heal?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I honestly have not had to deal with these. I have other issues but not these.

A few things that I have learned over the years which may help:

Buy really good running shoes and chuck them after 500 miles or so. Don’t go cheap on the shoes.

Run some of your workouts on a treadmill or HS track. Both have more cushion than the pavement.

Don’t go too far, too fast. Add extra miles slowly.

I cut this out of WedMD to help:

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

* Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
* Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
* Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
* Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
* Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
* Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.

Hope this helps!

So I didn’t find a RunDisney forum here- I just finished my 2nd half marathon in May, running my 3rd in November & would love to Run Disney! I have almost talked the DH into a mini trip just for a Disney run- so what do you suggest- the Disney Marathon weekend or the Princess Half in February? Since I’ll be graduating from college in December (at age 36 with 3 kids & after 8 long years of part time classes) I think I can convince DH that this would be a great reward!

I have only done the January race but it is great!!! I totally recommend it. My dear wife is even running her 1st half marathon this year.

Going to get back out running this week, I hope the shins are healed and I’m ready to start training. I’ve missed my weekly running schedule.

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out. I am personally really planning on getting at this in 2012. I’ve run the Half Marathon the past two years and I have run well for me: 2:24 and 2:21 but I really want to get in shape this year and get really close to under 2:00.

Is anyone out there running the January Half-Marathon!!! :laugh:

I’m running the Princess Half at the end of Feb.

Have fun, Disney does a great job with their races!

[QUOTE=skwak;1113186]Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I honestly have not had to deal with these. I have other issues but not these.

A few things that I have learned over the years which may help:

Buy really good running shoes and chuck them after 500 miles or so. Don’t go cheap on the shoes.

Run some of your workouts on a treadmill or HS track. Both have more cushion than the pavement.

Don’t go too far, too fast. Add extra miles slowly.

I cut this out of WedMD to help:

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

* Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
* Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
* Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
* Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
* Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
* Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

This is why I’m a cyclist. You actually get to enjoy your exercise!

Well sure if you want to take the EASY path!!!

How about the enjoyable one?:happy:

Fair enough! :cool:

Back to running, I did 3 days at 2 miles per day; not a bad start. Hoping that I can slowly increase my mileage.

Good for you! Remember EVERYBODY, even an Olympic Athlete, starts somewhere. They don’t wake up one day out of the blue and say “I think I will run a Marathon today”. :slight_smile:

For the 1st time ever last weekend I actually went to a high-tech running store where the analyzed my feet, my stride, how I run, etc. It was neat. I walked out with new running shoes and custom inserts that fit my feet. Really pretty neat.

^^^That’s my plan in about January. I just got some new runners, and have put over 20 miles on them alone this month, so I figure they should last until Jan or so. Then I’m going to go to Fleet Feet and have my run analyzed and get some good shoes, with some time to break them in before the half.

Sounds like a good plan!