5-day trips vs. 7 or 10 day trips?

Hey everyone!!

We are beginning to plan our trip for 2010. I know, it crazy to plan next year’s trip before this year’s trip has arrived, right? :eek:

Last year and this year we spend Mon - Fri of Thanksgiving week at WDW. I have read all the wonderful reports and tips from those that stay much longer. I am wondering other than the obvious - having time to see all the parks and do more, what are the other benefits of a long vacation in the World? Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks,
Alvin

We like longer trips os we can relax a bit and enjoy the restaurants and our resort a little more. We have settled on 10 days being our average trip. We get to fit in a water park day and at least one pool day as well as being able to hit the parks as much as we want. We went for 5 days last Christmas and it was so short, we felt like we didn’t have time to enjoy the smaller things Disney has to offer.

Our longest trip so far has been 2 weeks and it was wonderful. I still wasn’t ready to leave when it was time to go home.

Drawbacks? The cost is the only one I can think of.

We’ve only ever taken one long ten day trip and that was a few years ago. I actually prefer the short trips because we can take more of them. If we took 10 day trips we’d only be able to go once every few years instead of every year. To me five full days in the parks is more than enough. The long trip was nice because we had a few off park days and just spent time at the pool and DTD.

We were so exhausted after our 5-day trip that it takes a few weeks to recover. Are you less tired after a longer trip?

I am with DT on this one. The longer trips can be more relaxing, you can have time to ‘stop and smell the roses’ a little more. But, they do cost more, so that is a big downfall.
Another downfall is if you are the type of family that is just go-go-go. If you have a hard time relaxing at WDW (aka park commandos) you will leave WDW completely and utterly exhausted. We did this last year. We had 10 days in the parks and we are at the parks from rope drop til closing (or at least close to it),and it took me about a month to get over it, and get back into the swing of things.
My advice is if you go for a longer amount of time, just make sure you take time off to relax, or you will wear yourself out, and you won’t feel as if you have had a vacation at all!

I like the idea of a couple of “off” days to hang out and enjoy more than a park. It also eliminates the “guilt” for napping during the day so our DS7 (and us) can make it to park closing.

It depends how you do the parks. We go like to hit the parks early and take a break in the afternoon then go back for a few hours in the evenings. We are starting to do less commando style touring and we do what we want with the understanding the rest will be there another time. We try to plan a down day part way through our trip so we can sleep in a little and relax in the pool all day. On a 5 day trip I couldn’t take a full day out to enjoy the pool and resort.

Are we tired after our trips–YES.

I would think it makes dining reservations easier to plan, because if you have more time, you can do Hoop Dee Doo Review, DTD restaraunts, etc… and we can do La Nouba, and more of the pool. Lots of options!!

I just don’t know how you get to all of the parks in 5 days. Last year we didn’t get to EPCOT and this year we probably won’t get to DHS. :frown:

We go every year and always do 5 day trips. I like the idea of leaving while still wanting more. We don’t do the same things every time so the kids always have something they missed and want to do next time. Of course, it also depends on where you are staying and how many are in your room. Four people staying at Pop Century will get old a lot sooner then the Grand Floridian one of the Villas. Also, staying Mon-Fri means smaller crowds at the parks and cheaper room rates. If you extend that trip to 9 days by adding on 2 weekends the cost goes way up and you’re dealing with much bigger crowds. Hope this helps

[QUOTE=CarolinaTilt;861351]I would think it makes dining reservations easier to plan, because if you have more time, you can do Hoop Dee Doo Review, DTD restaraunts, etc… and we can do La Nouba, and more of the pool. Lots of options!!

I just don’t know how you get to all of the parks in 5 days. Last year we didn’t get to EPCOT and this year we probably won’t get to DHS. :frown:[/QUOTE]

That’s why we need longer trips. When we went in December for 5 days we didn’t go to AK, there just wasn’t time. We only went to DHS once for the evening. We just aren’t used to having to budget our time that much. The restaurants and resort as as important to us as the parks so we make time to enjoy all of it.

Our 10-day trip was by far the best. We were really able to take it easy and still do a lot.

For my family, longer trips are the best. But ONLY because we set A LOT of time aside for relaxing!!! Last year we went for 18 days (16 days in Orlando…we drove). The first week, we spent in my timeshare off site. We didn’t go to a SINGLE park! We just totally relaxed at our resort. It was GREAT! Then we moved to 10 days at POP Century…even then, we only went to the parks 4 or 5 days. DH would NEVER agree to go back year after year if I planned us going into the parks every day of our trip. I’m lucky he goes along as it is! I don’t want to REALLY tire him out!

When we go to the parks for 4 or 5 days, we go to all 4 theme parks…multiple times! We are a park hopping family…and when we go to the parks, we are there from open until close. I have a double stroller for the kids, they can nap in it if they choose to! :laugh:

When we get home, we aren’t as tired as we used to be when we did parks every single day, morning til night. For us, we just won’t do that anymore.

No matter how you choose to vacation at WDW, it’s sure to be a magical one! :happy:

5 days wasn’t long enough for us- it all just seemed much too hurried! 9 days wasn’t quite long enough, although we certainly had a more relaxing time.

I’m thinking I need two weeks for a lovely, lovely vacation. :happy:

I envy those that go for 14, 16, and 18 days. I am not sure I could be on vacation that long. WOW!!!

It really easy, trust me. :laugh:

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;861620]For my family, longer trips are the best. But ONLY because we set A LOT of time aside for relaxing!!! Last year we went for 18 days (16 days in Orlando…we drove). The first week, we spent in my timeshare off site. We didn’t go to a SINGLE park! We just totally relaxed at our resort. It was GREAT! Then we moved to 10 days at POP Century…even then, we only went to the parks 4 or 5 days. DH would NEVER agree to go back year after year if I planned us going into the parks every day of our trip. I’m lucky he goes along as it is! I don’t want to REALLY tire him out!

When we go to the parks for 4 or 5 days, we go to all 4 theme parks…multiple times! We are a park hopping family…and when we go to the parks, we are there from open until close. I have a double stroller for the kids, they can nap in it if they choose to! :laugh:

When we get home, we aren’t as tired as we used to be when we did parks every single day, morning til night. For us, we just won’t do that anymore.

No matter how you choose to vacation at WDW, it’s sure to be a magical one! :happy:[/QUOTE]

That trip sounds great!!! The afternoon rest time is critical for us. DS7 and I both get cranky!! :laugh: I really like the idea of all the time for relaxation and a less stressfull pace.

I plan our WDW trip, because DW plans the rest of our lives and this really gives her a vacation too. Reservations, which park to be in and coordinating dining with EMH is tough. But, I truly love it. As a kid, WDW is something I never thought I would be able to do, so I am a little over the top!!

Wish DS was still stroller size, but he is big enough now to do boy stuff!!

[QUOTE=CarolinaTilt;861669]That trip sounds great!!! The afternoon rest time is critical for us. DS7 and I both get cranky!! :laugh: I really like the idea of all the time for relaxation and a less stressfull pace.

I plan our WDW trip, because DW plans the rest of our lives and this really gives her a vacation too. Reservations, which park to be in and coordinating dining with EMH is tough. But, I truly love it. As a kid, WDW is something I never thought I would be able to do, so I am a little over the top!!

Wish DS was still stroller size, but he is big enough now to do boy stuff!![/QUOTE]

Um, when I go to WDW in November, DS will be 7! :ohmy: DD will be 3 1/2…and I STILL bring the double!!! I’ll bring it as long as I can…this way, I don’t have to hear whining about who’s too tired to walk, can you carry me? I need to rest…etc, etc. You get the idea! :laugh:

And I plan EVERYTHING…but like I said, rest time is MANDATORY. Or else DH would never keep agreeing to go year after year. :laugh: We both NEVER went as kids, either. Trip #17 (since 1997) coming up for Thanksgiving week! CAN’T WAIT!!!

We are going to miss DHS this year, especially the christmas lights, fake snow, Fantasmic, the Star Tours, and great movie ride… :frown:

I am sure I am a typical guy and being worn out on the details of a tight vacation schedule is normal.

I prefer the shorter, but mostly that’s because everything I put on hold to go on vacation will still be there when I get back. Waiting for me.

:ninja:

Also because we get to do more during the year, much like Bella’s post, when we take shorter trips places.

I would say the longer trip because I have 3 young kids and you need a few days of relaxing to charge them back up.