5 + days in Anaheim - Visits somewhere besides DL Resort

We have our trip schedule for spring break which for us is during Easter this year. We arrive 9:30am on Good Friday and depart 3PM the following Thursday. We are waitlisted for a studio at Grand Californian with a back up ressie at the Park Vue Inn.

I am plannign a taxi from SNA to the hotel with DL being the reason for the trip. I know this is peak time and it may take longer to get through the parks, but it seems we would have a day or so left over for something else and would condider renting a car for a day or two. I did not realized LA (Universal) is about as far as San Diego or is this not true? At any rate, we have DS12 along with me and DH. What would you suggest for another theme park or activity?

Can’t wait!!

[QUOTE=jk8;1098264]We have our trip schedule for spring break which for us is during Easter this year. We arrive 9:30am on Good Friday and depart 3PM the following Thursday. We are waitlisted for a studio at Grand Californian with a back up ressie at the Park Vue Inn.

I am plannign a taxi from SNA to the hotel with DL being the reason for the trip. I know this is peak time and it may take longer to get through the parks, but it seems we would have a day or so left over for something else and would condider renting a car for a day or two. I did not realized LA (Universal) is about as far as San Diego or is this not true? At any rate, we have DS12 along with me and DH. What would you suggest for another theme park or activity?

Can’t wait!![/QUOTE]

Nah, that’s not true. Although it could certainly take as long the wrong time of day. It’s about twice as far to San Diego.

[QUOTE=jk8;1098264]

I am plannign a taxi from SNA to the hotel with DL being the reason for the trip. I know this is peak time and it may take longer to get through the parks, but it seems we would have a day or so left over for something else and would condider renting a car for a day or two. I did not realized LA (Universal) is about as far as San Diego or is this not true? [/QUOTE]

As Andrea mentioned, it all depends on traffic. A friend of mine actually works for the studio, and I thought I could spend a day doing a tour of the movie lot, until I found out what traffic is like between. :mad: I would recommend an early commando launch and do breakfast once you arrive, then perhaps plan to spend the whole day there, and brave the freeways after dark. :ph34r:

[QUOTE=jk8;1098264]At any rate, we have DS12 along with me and DH. What would you suggest for another theme park or activity?

Can’t wait!![/QUOTE]

Another? Possibly you might consider Knotts Berry Farm. Though, in all honesty, the differences are such that it might make you truly appreciate Disney. Other Edgeyoumakashional options include Long Beach - Queen Mary (The Spruce Goose ain’t there no mo), Mission San Juan Capistrano, and in Los Angeles - LaBrea Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory.

That being said, any trip is going to be a whole day affair, because traffic can be, how we say, “frustrating” for the inexperienced. I have done seven days in Disneyland/California Adventure, and trust me, you won’t get bored at all, in fact it would allow you to enjoy the leisurely approach that many only dream about. :pirate:

OK, so we might just be as well to stick with DL? Frankly I am unsure of Universal because we are not thrill ride seekers. I’ll have to see if DH even wants to brave the traffic to do anything more.

I would say rush hour is between 7-9 am, and 6-8 pm. If you avoid traveling at these times, traffic should be minimal. I would suggest you take the day to head over to Hollywood or the beach. Either way would probably take 45 minutes tops. I’m not a big fan of Universal, but if you’ve never been to LA, Hollywood would be a fun daytrip. There’s the observatory in Griffith Park, Hollywood & Highland complex with Disney’s El Capitan across the street, and the Grove with its Farmer’s Market… just some suggestions.

Griffith Observatory is a cool place for something totally different. It won’t take a whole day, you get a good view, it’s interesting. (With plenty of time, I might do that. But still spend lots of time at DL/DCA.)

And I do have to respectfully disagree about rush hour times! Yes, after 9ish you’re okay, but in the afternoon, anytime after 3:30 you need a heads up, and I’ve hit excessive traffic leaving Orange County at 10pm going north.

Leaving West LA at 4pm… has taken two and a half hours to get to Disneyland (no accidents, just traffic). Yikes!

I haven’t been to Universal in YEARS, so I don’t know about that.

When we went we split or time between Disneyland and a little hotel in Santa Monica. Had some beach time, the boardwalk, went driving in the mountains ( I had to cruise Mullholland Drive ). My DW and I drove up Highway 1 and found some amazing little oceanside resturants. DW and DD did one of the tours in LA while I visited our office in Orange County.

As much fun as Disney was, the family really loved the time in Santa Monica just as much.

Oh ya, we rented a Sebring convertible, that made all the difference in the world! ! !

-Harry

PS: About the driving in the LA area. Yes there was a lot of it, but coming from Chicago’s expressways I have to say the LA traffic was the most polite I have ever encountered. Everytime I put on my turn signal someone would make room for me to change lanes. I didn’t mind the drive at all!

Well, in talking with ds12 and dh they don’t really have interest in Universal. DH and I have been to Hollywood before. I looked into the greyline bus tours and that seems like a good idea for going down to SanDiego to a park. Then we just sit back and relax (or nap).

Amtrak has a station in Anaheim a few blocks East of the park. The train is really fun to take a trip on, and once you arrive in San Diego the Trolley will take you to most places in a short while. :pirate: