5 WORST places to eat in WDW & why

We often have the question of “which restaurants in WDW are the best” or “which good ADRs should my family make?” I am curious to hear about which restaurants you feel are the WORST & why. They can be either counter service or table service.

Mine, in no particular order:

1#: [B]Flame Tree Bar-B-Que (AK).[/B] I hate this counter service location. The smokey bar-b-que flavor on the chicken tasted horrible to me & it was dry. The chicken literally looked like a 1/2 flat baby chicken on your plate which grossed me out. Oh, and ducks attack you in the dining area. Don’t get me wrong, I love ducks, but when they are literally pecking at your shorts while you’re trying to have a relaxing lunch it’s a little distracting.

#2: [B]Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace (MK).[/B] We’ve only seen this counter service spot open twice the past couple of years; maybe busy times? I was expecting something of similar quality to Yak & Yeti counter service in AK, nope. It was pretty gross. Just tasted like frozen Chinese food that was defrosted in a back microwave & thrown on a tray.

#3: [B]Boardwalk pizza window (next to Spoodles).[/B] Literally the worst pizza I’ve ever tried to eat in my life. I think they even charged us around $18 for the pie too. It was horrible & I think we ended up walking over the World Showcase just to get something better to eat instead. Expensive pizza, cardboard dough, cheap cheese, gross.

#4: [B]House of Blues (DtD).[/B] You end up waiting forever to get a table, especially during peak dinner times & high crowd seasons. The food is just ‘ok’ in my opinion but also remember that I don’t eat seafood so maybe those choices are better. Although, my best friend once ate a shrimp dish there & ended up getting sick the whole night in our room at Coronado. Great place to see concerts though, just have dinner elsewhere before the show.

#5: [B]Planet Hollywood (DtD).[/B] If I had to vote for ‘The Worst’ I think this would have to be it. Garish & loud decor, totally reminds me of some cheesy early 90’s hot spot, the servers wear these terrible loud Hawaiian-like PH shirts, the food is about the quality of any neighborhood Applebee’s but more expensive. I just could never go there again. My opinion, there’s a reason why Disney has been giving ‘free’ vouchers for this place for years.

I second Planet Hollywood, way outdated and no longer a must-see as in the early days.

I would also add the Rainforest to that list. Wayyyy over-priced. Food is good, but it is so loud in there you can’t hear anyone at your own table. It is also always freezing cold!!

Luckily Disney has so many great places to eat it is hard to come up with too many bad ones.

My parents ate at Captain Jacks at the Marketplace this year and they didn’t like it at all. They said it was in dire need of some updating.

I don’t think i have a top five but i do have one i think is horrible and that is the ABC Commissary at DHS. I got a burger there in September and i thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. I didn’t even eat 3 bites of it.

Excellent idea!! Hmm…I need to ponder this one.

Yakatori House: We have been there once and we will never ever go back. I remember I got the combination platter there and I thought the steak was disgusting and the chicken was chewy.:blow: I think I paid $14.00 for it and only ate the rice.

Toy Story Pizza Planet: I think this place has sooo much potential. However, WDW is famous for BADD pizza and this was no exception.

Tony’s Town Square: This is the only TS place I’ve ever been that I really did not love. I got the spaghetti and it was OK and whatever Dave had his sauce was green. And not “pesto” green. Like, atomic neon green. He ate two bites and gave up. I think it was giving him a headache.

Akhershaus: I kind of hate to put this one on here but…it needs it. This counts ONLY for the food. The ambiance, the princesses, the free photo are not factored into this one. Basically the food stunk. The cold bar was much better than the “entrees”. The dessert sampler was amazing though.

I don’t think I can think of a 5th!

I don’t know if I have any true places we totally avaiod. I just realize the scope of F&B’s job to please all and run with it.

I disagree with Wish’s Flame Tree opinion as we always get the ribs and have never had a bad meal. They are not as good as from our own smoker, but for mass production they are not bad. As to the Noodle Terrace, we used to enjoy going there, but since it has become a part time location it has gone to ‘heck’. We always enjoyed sitting there and people watching. Even on the dog days of July and August it was a comfortable place to eat and relax. Now it is open we avoid the food. When closed we still enjoy relaxing there.

We all have our fave’s, and I could list 10-15 places we just don’t do. But I have seen many comments on people liking the same locations.

I’ve never eaten at the House of Blues at DtD in WDW, but we were very disappointed with the one at DL’s DtD.

hmmmm… here’s my five worst

1. Planet Hollywood Probably the worst meal I’ve eaten at WDW. I ordered pizza. Safe choice, right? Ha… it was gross. The cheese was rubbery and tasted like plastic. The crust was okay, though. And the atmosphere… I’ve eaten at two locations and just don’t care for it. I mean… there’s a naked man hanging from the ceiling! It feels outdated. I find Planet Hollywoods and Hard Rock Cafes to be boring and uncreative. If you want memorabilia and good, fun theming, check out Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville.

2. Tutto Italia I know a lot of people love this restaurant, but I find it to be mediocre and way over priced. My mom absolutely loved Alfredo’s. We ate there all of the time. It was her favorite TS restaurant. So when they renovated and turned it into Tutto Italia, we were really excited. We made lunch reservations the week of July 4th (on the way down to FL!). We walked in to find the lobby almost unchanged. They layout of the restaurant wasn’t very new, either. But we did notice significant changes in price and menu. The kids’ entrees were $10 and the least expensive item on the adult menu was an $11 salad. We figured the food must be really extraodinary. And were very disappointed. The bread was hard. They put the wrong sauce on my pasta (they did offer an exchange, though… I should’ve taken it). Not one of us enjoyed our meal. And to top it off, we found the staff to be very snooty. They’d stand in the corner and whisper to one another and turned their noses up when my sister and I did a finger swordfight with the little toothpick swords. It just wasn’t a good experience, and we will not go back soon.

3. The Hollywood Brown Derby I’m taking down another popular favorite here, but I really don’t care for this restaurant. We’ve eaten here a few times and the food is just mediocre (actually, we’ve had bad food here, too). The atmosphere is mediocre. The service is all right. But I find it to be overrated.

4. Toy Story Pizza Planet This is just an annoyinng place to eat. I find it somewhat difficult to locate, as well. It’s so noisy and you can get pizza anywhere.

5. ABC Commissary DHS counter service just sucks. DHS dining in general really isn’t that great. This location is okay. It’s not the typical pizza, hot dogs, burgers… they offer sandwiches, which is a plus. But the atmosphere really isn’t that exciting. The theming is lame. And it’s somewhat difficult to find. I only eat here when I happen to stumble upon it hungry.

Pizzafari :blow::blow::blow::blow: most discusting pizza on property and the breadsticks are awful too (We actually do like Pizza Planet but I dip my pizza in the ranch dressing… maybe that helps :blush:)

1900 Park Fare (dinner) The characters were AWESOME and I’d go back just for that, oh and the dessert but the rest of the buffet was :blow: and that was my DD’s birthday dinner in 2007

Captain Jack’s We ate there in 2006 and haven’t been back since. enough said…

ABC commissary Anything there is nasty…:blow:

9 Dragons Perhaps it has changed since we went in 2007 before their big rehab but I’ve had much better chinese food from our local restaurant

ELECTRIC UMBRELLA – Blech. Even standing in the line makes my stomach hurt.

NINE DRAGONS – Since when does fried rice have huge hunks of ham in it? Are those supposed to be there, really?

My dh and I had one of those burgers in March. :blow:

The chicken sandwich, however, was totally acceptable.

I don’t have a worst restaurant. Just places I wouldn’t go back to.

5 places we’ll likely not go out of our way to eat at . . .

1. Toy Story Pizza Planet. Just didn’t like the pizza at all.

2. Trails End (breakfast buffet). Mediocre at best.

3. Noodle Terrace. Again, mediocre at best.

Yeah, that’s about it. Guess there’s only 3!

I also don’t have restaurants that are the “worst” but definitely ones we won’t be going to anytime soon. Here are 6.

50’s Prime Time Cafe: Fun experience restaurant but the food is terrible. And really, the last couple times I went, the servers didn’t play their parts like they used to.

Crystal Palace (dinner): I keep going back here hoping for something more. I always leave thinking, “well, it was nice to see Pooh and friends but…” At DH’s request, we will not be returning here soon. The food is just not good.

Akershus: Another great atmosphere/experience place but just not good food!

Rose & Crown: Great if you can get a table outside but they don’t take seating requests if you make an ADR there so there’s no way to know if you’ll get a view of Illuminations. The food is not good. The fish and chips are decent but they’re the same ones you can get at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop (CS).

Planet Hollywood: Just completely overrated. Expensive, mediocre (at best) food. My local bar and grill is better. It’s definitely looking a little dated and isn’t the novelty it once was.

Captain Jack’s: How does a seafood place not have crab legs?! Our service was terrible here too. 'Nuf said.

Thank goodness there are so many restaurants for us to rave about to make up for a handful that are lame! :mickey:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;953202]We often have the question of “which restaurants in WDW are the best” or “which good ADRs should my family make?” I am curious to hear about which restaurants you feel are the WORST & why. They can be either counter service or table service.

Mine, in no particular order:

1#: Flame Tree Bar-B-Que (AK). I hate this counter service location. The smokey bar-b-que flavor on the chicken tasted horrible to me & it was dry. The chicken literally looked like a 1/2 flat baby chicken on your plate which grossed me out. Oh, and ducks attack you in the dining area. Don’t get me wrong, I love ducks, but when they are literally pecking at your shorts while you’re trying to have a relaxing lunch it’s a little distracting.

#2: Tommorland Noodle Terrace (MK). We’ve only seen this counter service spot open twice the past couple of years; maybe busy times? I was expecting something of similar quality to Yak & Yeti counter service in AK, nope. It was pretty gross. Just tasted like frozen Chinese food that was defrosted in a back microwave & thrown on tray.

#3: Boardwalk pizza window (next to Spoodles). Literally the worse pizza I’ve ever tried to eat in my life. I think they even charged us around $18for the pie too. It was horrible & I think we ended up walking over the World Showcase just to get something better to eat instead. Expensive pizza, cardboard dough, cheap cheese, gross.

#4: House of Blues (DtD). You end up waiting forever to get a table, especially during peak dinner times & high crowd seasons. The food is just ‘ok’ in my opinion but also remember that I don’t eat seafood so maybe those choices are better. Although, my best friend once ate a shrimp dish there & ended up getting sick the whole night in our room at Coronado. Great place to see concerts though, just have dinner elsewhere before the show.

#5: Planet Hollywood (DtD). If I had to vote for ‘The Worst’ I think this would have to be it. Garish & loud decor, totally reminds me of some cheesy early 90’s hot spot, the servers wear these terrible loud Hawaiian-like PH shirts, the food is about the quality of any neighborhood Applebee’s but more expensive. I just could never go there again. My opinion, there’s a reason why Disney has been giving ‘free’ vouchers for this place for years.[/QUOTE]

Wishy, I got to say that the ribs at Planet Hollywood are really good, way better than Flame Tree. I heard the problem with the pizza in Florida is the water used for the dough. I have never had good pizza anywhere!! The pizza delivery at POP was the worst ever!!

I don’t know that I have five ‘worst restaurants’…but there are definitely places I probably won’t bother with again. Maybe it’s just a matter of taste! I see places on some posters lists that I love and places that are must-do visits each trip.
I wouldn’t go back to San Angel Inn - maybe that’s real Mexican food, and if that’s the case, give me Taco Bell. Don’t care for Biergarten or Restaurant Marrakesh either. I haven’t been to Planet Hollywood in years, but I think the dated decor is part of the “kitsch.”

So many things to disagree with. These types of posts are always good for some lively debates! :happy:

I have to disagree on Planet Hollywood too. The food isn’t anything special, but it’s a great place to take kids. What some adults may find loud and obnoxious is another kid’s idea of Nirvana! LOL

I found Tomorrowland Noodle station open only once and thought it was pretty good.

I have also found the ABC Commissary to be one of the few CS places I have actually eaten something decent.

Looks like we can all agree that Disney pizza is BAD. We went to Pizza Planet once. That was enough. Even with the kid factor, the bad food, high prices and blaring video games will keep me from going back.

CS burgers in general are just awful. I’d have to be pretty desperate to eat to one.
I also agree with several others here: Electric Umbrella: disgusting. I can’t even stand the smell.

I think that the burgers at Disney are not real hamburger meat. I think that they are soy. Just a theory, but I was a nutritionist. It makes sense from a food safety perspective… No proof though.
Also, I saw something about the Disney pizza, and how they invented a pizza machine where they could make a pizza from start to finish in 12 minutes and there was no person involved… that might explain it. It showed the sauce being added, then the cheese, then baking, etc… It was interesting.

1 - Planet Hollywood, over priced and over crowded.
2 - Tutto Italia, The food was not what it use to be with the old owners
3 - Nine Dragons. The food was good but when I ordered Honey Sesam Chicken that was all you got. A big pile of chicken with a little white rice.
4 - Casey’s Corner was absolutly filthy in the eating area.
5 - Jim’s Texas Hots. It is in the town where I live

[QUOTE=hanwill;953259]I think that the burgers at Disney are not real hamburger meat. I think that they are soy. Just a theory, but I was a nutritionist. It makes sense from a food safety perspective… No proof though.
Also, I saw something about the Disney pizza, and how they invented a pizza machine where they could make a pizza from start to finish in 12 minutes and there was no person involved… that might explain it. It showed the sauce being added, then the cheese, then baking, etc… It was interesting.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know…I have always eaten a lot of soy meat products and the burgers in WDW don’t have the right texture to be soy. Not sure if it’s a good quality ground beef but I’d be surprised if they’re soy.

I’ve never bothered to have WDW pizza because I’ve never heard anything but bad things about it! My sis had it once when we went as kids and said it was the worst pizza she’s ever had in her whole life. This was when she wouldn’t eat anything BUT pizza and caesar salads! Needless to say, she ate a lot of ceasar salads that trip. :laugh:

I have to say, now I am dying to try the Electric Umbrella, just because I want to know if it really is that bad.:pinch::laugh:

IMHO the food at ABC commissary is :blow:

San Angel Inn is the worst food ever…never again!