6 nights at AKLV versus 5 at BCV or BWV?

We are booked for another family trip at AKL- Kidani for June 2014. However, we have less people coming this time and thus do not need 3 rooms, only 2. Because of that, we have enough points to either add a night at Kidani or move over to the Beach Club or the Boardwalk for 5 nights (the same length we were originally planning).

Why I would normally go with a longer trip over a different resort, I am leaning towards recommending the move to the Boardwalk or the Beach Club just because of location. Some members of our group are worried about the heat/humidity in June and I think the Epcot area offers a lot more in the immediate vicinity to keep people occupied without traipsing into the parks.

So what would your vote be?

That’s a tough one. I normally would go for more days but your point about having more non-park options at BVC or BWV is true. The pool at BCV is great fun for all ages and the boardwalk area has a lot to offer, especially at night. However, I think I would still have to go with AKV and the extra night, I like more time…we never seem to have enough time to “do everything” at WDW.

If it was just me and DH, I’d have a hard time choosing, but with other people involved, I’d go for BCV. We have gotten sooooooo spoiled with DVC and being able to walk home from Epcot or DHS during hot muggy weather, that makes the choice for me.

If the choice had been V@AKL or V@WL, I’d have automatically said WL because I love boating on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. But your choices are two Crescent Lake DVC resorts or V@AKL and with those choices, I’d quickly book AKL. Sure, I love the views from rooms on Crescent Lake and you are centrally located between two parks, but I’d take the extra day and animals. Dining at AKL is very good and your buses only make two stops before going to the destination. The Crescent Lake 5 often share one bus.
Oh yeah, coming back to boating, I hate boating on Crescent Lake because the waters are too confined and there are far too many no wake zones, plus you always have to watch out for the Friendships, which have the right of way.

I’ve read that several times on here but in all of our stays at Beach Club we have never shared a bus with all 5 resorts other than to and from Downtown Disney-never any other time.

Same here. We’ve shared with all 5 going to DTD but never any other time. That doesn’t really bother me that much anyway because it is offset by the ease of walking to Epcot.

Thanks for your input everyone. Keep it coming! Does anyone have any experience with the Boardwalk pool? I know it has that hideous clown slide but are there generally enough beach chairs? Does it feel crowded?

You’re both lucky.
During our last trip, except to MK at times the 5 were sharing buses.
Same went for October.
I’ve seen it both ways, the same as I’ve seen the All Stars share and not share as well as the two Port Orleans resorts.
And yes, the 5 do always seem to share DTD buses.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1140729]You’re both lucky.
Same went for October.
I’ve seen it both ways, the same as I’ve seen the All Stars share and not share as well as the two Port Orleans resorts.
And yes, the 5 do always seem to share DTD buses.[/QUOTE]

That would only leave Animal Kingdom if the Magic Kingdom bus wasn’t shared, that wouldn’t be a big deal for us.

I vote BWV! I just had the option of booking WL, AKL, or BWI and I chose BWI in a heartbeat. I love the theming of AKL and WL, but the Boardwalk has so much more to offer for peeps like me who can’t sit still. If DH wants to stay in and take a nap, I can take a leisure jaunt around the lake, go to DHS w/o the hassle of the buses, or grab a bite to eat at Epcot.

O[QUOTE=mairinmaureen;1140732]I vote BWV! I just had the option of booking WL, AKL, or BWI and I chose BWI in a heartbeat. I love the theming of AKL and WL, but the Boardwalk has so much more to offer for peeps like me who can’t sit still. If DH wants to stay in and take a nap, I can take a leisure jaunt around the lake, go to DHS w/o the hassle of the buses, or grab a bite to eat at Epcot.[/QUOTE]

You’re right, staying at an Epcot resort makes it easy to split up and avoid the need for transportation. The Epcot resorts are our favorite hands down, the location just can’t be best. I would love to stay at WL again but I just can’t not stay at Beach Club or Bosrdwalk.

Bus sharing—I know I have seen people talk about it but…honestly we must time it right. We have stayed at Port Orleans many times now, and take those visits and multiply them by 6 days using the buses—and I remember one time that we shared the bus with Riverside next door…only once. I guess we have indeed been lucky.

And we have been at low times (January) as well as high times (Christmas-New Years and summer) Now watch me say this and next summer we have to share a lot!!! lol at least POFQ is first drop off coming back… :smile:

I picked Beach Club. Two reasons. One is reasonable, location and ease to the parks. The other is selfish on my part, and the decision would only affect me. My favorite place in the world is AKV - Jambo. I do not like Kidani whatsoever. I know, people are yelling at the computer right now, but it annoys me to no end that Disney cut so many corners when building Kidani, with the details (just walk down a hallway in both Jambo vs Kidani, there’s detailed woodwork and various nooks with Jambo, whereas Kidani one straight line of wallpaper.) I know it sounds petty, but I take it personally that Disney wasn’t up to Disney standards. Okay…off my rant. Let us know what you decide!

That’s very true. you’re walking to Epcot and there’s the Friendships to DHS and Epcot. And for us, we drive to AK far more often than we take the bus regardless of where we’re staying, excepting AKL.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1140729]You’re both lucky.
Same went for October.
And yes, the 5 do always seem to share DTD buses.[/QUOTE]

I will say that that ride to DTD from the Epcot area resorts always seems to take a lifetime.

We have a family meeting this weekend to make a final decision. LOL We’ll see what happens.

There are quite a few times that we’ve headed straight to DTD after Illuminations.
Every time, we’ve walked out to the Beach Club’s bus station. Almost every single time, the bus continued to Boardwalk before going to DTD. The wait seems to be the worst part of that. We’d probably walk out to the Boardwalk’s station, but it’s a longer walk and by 9:30 or 10, DW doesn’t want to do any more walking than necessary.

So the choice has been made…drumroll please…I switched our reservations to the Boardwalk this week. We would have preferred Beach Club but that involved waitlists as I expected and with needing two rooms, it seemed like too much of a risk. I will keep an eye on availability as we get closer to travel time when cancellations start popping up but I think we will most likely end up at the Boardwalk.

Thanks so much for all your input everyone!

As a DVC member staying at BWI, you are entitled to use Stormalong Bay.
At least that had been the policy in the past.

For us the bcc is the choice we would make. Even you lose 1 day, you will be glad to use the pool and be able to walk to and from EPCOT. We have stayed at the BCV and enjoy that perk. Plus we love the Boardwalk at night.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1140968]As a DVC member staying at BWI, you are entitled to use Stormalong Bay.
At least that had been the policy in the past.[/QUOTE]

There are a few pools that pool hopping isn’t allowed and stormalong bay is one of them.