A bit creepy, River Country today

Check this link out, and be sure to look at some of the other closed parks

PHOTOS: Creepy Abandoned Theme Parks - weather.com

These pictures are so depressing to me because River Country was literally one of my favorite places growing up in WDW, we always stayed at Fort Wilderness so this was like my backyard vacation playground as a kid. I sware I can still remember what it was like when you’d fall off the zipline in the middle of the lake and you’d taste that nasty lake water when you fell in. haha. Just to see the Whoop N’ Holler Hollow slides so beat up makes me want to cry. Miss it!!

We had a lot of fun there too. The double slide drop into the pool was a favourite of ours. It makes me sad too to see how neglected it looks, and its been this way for many years now- very strange that nothing has been put in place to address this.

I never got to RC…but the pictures are sad…I guess because of the location and layout, it would be a major undertaking to create something else out of it?

I was reading online about it’s closing…there are some thoughts that it closed after Blizzard Beach took all the attendance away…but I also found news articles from Orlando citing a couple deaths from amoeba like organisms. …first I’ve known about the deaths…but it does happen in lakes everywhere occasionally.

It looks so sad :frowning:
I never went to RC I sure it was amazing. I am surprised they just left it like that.

I’m glad River Country closed - yes, I am. My dd, my dh and I almost came close to drowning there. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. DD had swung from the rope swing, with us watching her from a couple of feet away. Suddenly (mother’s intuition) I realized she was having problems trying to swim back to us; and she was a good little swimmer. The smile on her face turned to panic. I immediately began to swim toward her and I was caught up by an under-current which was pulling me down. DH saw we were both in trouble, managed to swim out and grab both of us - dd was crying and I wasn’t far behind. DH had a heck of a time pulling us back. Some man saw us and reached out a hand to dh and literally yanked us in. I don’t know what it was - maybe just a freak occurrence, but by the time we got to shore we had had enough - we packed up and left without looking backward. We were so close to drowning. I’ll never forget it. In fact, dd said to me a while ago “remember when we almost drown at RC!” - nope - I’m glad it’s closed.

Wow…I didn’t know there were undercurrents…I’ve only ever been in one lake here locally and I hated the water…I can’t stand the thought of not seeing what’s in the water!!!

What a frightening experience for all of you!

Disney’s River Country, 1981 - YouTube

i just searched for a video of the park in action and I think it looks very dangerous.

Miss RC tons. Wish they would build a big wall along the lake to keep the lake water out and rehab the sight. Many fun days at RC growing up.

Wow Janice, that’s an awful experience, no wonder you were glad to see the end of it.
I remember the pool part was very different. The water was murky and didn’t it have a sand bottom? I know it was supposed to replicate a river- and it did. Luckily our times there were always good.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1131758]I’ve only ever been in one lake here locally and I hated the water…I can’t stand the thought of not seeing what’s in the water!!!

[/QUOTE]

I totally get this.

I love to waterski… but believe me, it’s an act of bravery. I know the lake I ski on is very deep, so that’s okay… but I do worry that a fish might touch me (yeah, I’m that girl)… but mostly I do NOT want to touch the bottom, because I can’t see it. If I go in from the shore, I pretty much take two steps in and skim out… I do NOT want to touch what I can’t see!

No lifeguards? Crazy! I’m glad you avoided a tragedy.

Are those snakes in the water in picture 23? I never saw it in person, but it sure looks sad and creepy.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1131765]I totally get this.

I love to waterski… but believe me, it’s an act of bravery. I know the lake I ski on is very deep, so that’s okay… but I do worry that a fish might touch me (yeah, I’m that girl)… but mostly I do NOT want to touch the bottom, because I can’t see it. If I go in from the shore, I pretty much take two steps in and skim out… I do NOT want to touch what I can’t see![/QUOTE]

My experience with a lake was a time when I was young—and I was swimming doing the breast stroke—when I opened my eyes to see a frog right in front of me—doing the same thing!!! :eek::eek::ohmy::ohmy: I was out of there…

And you are right about the bottom–muck muck doesn’t appeal to me either…however, I have friends who grew up on lakes and they have always enjoyed swimming and boating on them…

I’m sad to see any part of WDW looking so bad…

I’d like to have some of the artifacts as souvenirs .

Hmmmm

Never made it to rc, sad to see it like this, too bad they couldn’t fix it up in a safe way

I was showing DH these photos and he reminded us of another Disney park that bit the dust- Discovery Island? We went there a couple of times it was near to RC and was OK to spend an hour or two. Exotic birds and some animals were there- anyone else remember?

I never made it there…

Here’s a “home video” someone posted of just a bit of it…

Vanished World of Disney 7 - Discovery Island - YouTube

I’m sure there are better ones out there.

Actually—if you go to Youtube—and type in Vanished World of—you can find videos of 20,000; Skyway; Imagination; etc…

I love Youtube for stuff like this…