A dead horse

Ok, Let’s continue to beat a dead horse: DDP worth it or not? I know we have some number crunchers here so read; and the advise.

I used to be a staunch advocate for the plan, but that was with all the mini-mice. For DW and I this trip I am trying to do the math.

It seems if I look at a menu from Cali grill and figure $90 for a meal and $60 (high est.) for wine.

Using the DDP would cost me $13 for an appitizer and the $60 for wine. Round up the DDP to $60/day and allocate $30 for dinner. Two meal plans for CG = $60; I would pay $73 out of pocket so total cost would be $133.00 (+ tax/tip).

Out of pocket; $90 + $60 = $150. TiW would save me $30 for a total of $120.00 (+ tax/tip).

Somewhere in the trip is the $100 for the TiW card. As we plan to dine at Victoria & Albert’s, the 20% savings there alone pay for the card ($118).

What say you?

We have used the dining plan and used TiW. For us TiW works out best and saves us the most. We eat what we want and save 20%, win, win. Even at $100 we still come out ahead for the 3 of us during one trip. Most of the time we can get two or more trips out of one card making it an even better value.

Since you’re doing Victoria and Albert’s I say go for it. That one meal will pay for the card, after that it’s all savings.

I know a lot of people have trouble with the tip being required but we tip at least 18% anyway. The servers at buffets work just as hard clearing all the extra plates so we always tip the standard amout there anyway.

Dt, are you recommending doing both OR the TiW over the DDP?

I would just do the TiW. For us the numbers just don’t add up to a savings in the dining plan. I have come to love the freedom of paying out of pocket.

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through;
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we really like to do;
It ain’t no trick to get rich quick.

(Like what I did there?) So as I dig into this the TiW can only be used at V&A main dining room. We were hioping for the chef’s table. Two years of hiding/saving $$ and we have enough. But to save 20%…

Really stupid question here, but. . .i go to TiW site, it gives a quote for cost for a florida resident or a passholder. . .but right now I am neither, so I can’t participate?

I have had an annual pass the past few years, but I am on the fence about getting one this year. . .two trips with park hopper passes equals the cost of an annual pass, so not sure I want to shell out the $574 all at once. Anyway, need to see what benefits to having an annual pass are beyond the cost.

I know. . . a long ramble of a message. :blink:

[QUOTE=Magic;1127732]Really stupid question here, but. . .i go to TiW site, it gives a quote for cost for a florida resident or a passholder. . .but right now I am neither, so I can’t participate? [QUOTE]

Sounds like a good question. We qualify as DVC owners.

But others? Stay tuned - someone here will know.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1127730]We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through;
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we really like to do;
It ain’t no trick to get rich quick.

(Like what I did there?) So as I dig into this the TiW can only be used at V&A main dining room. We were hioping for the chef’s table. Two years of hiding/saving $$ and we have enough. But to save 20%…[/QUOTE]

:laugh:

Ohhhh, the Chef’s Table…Nice. What a treat. We ate in the main dining room and loved it, I can’t imagine how wonderful the Chef’s Table would be.

[QUOTE=Magic;1127732]Really stupid question here, but. . .i go to TiW site, it gives a quote for cost for a florida resident or a passholder. . .but right now I am neither, so I can’t participate?

I have had an annual pass the past few years, but I am on the fence about getting one this year. . .two trips with park hopper passes equals the cost of an annual pass, so not sure I want to shell out the $574 all at once. Anyway, need to see what benefits to having an annual pass are beyond the cost.

I know. . . a long ramble of a message. :blink:[/QUOTE]

TiW is only open to passholders, Florida residents, and DVC members.

I do dining plan every so often, to change things up. Its a “mental” thing for me. I’m very frugal and when I look at a menu, I’m not only looking at food choices, but prices. So, even though I have used TIW for a good discount, I’m still picking chicken over steak because its priced lower. If I get the dining plan, I choose what I really, really like because it doesn’t matter the cost. I know, I’ve worked the numbers and TIW saves more money, but when I want to pamper myself, I know the only way to get passed my frugality is to have it already prepaid.

:laugh: I’m the opposite, when we used the dining plan I was always basing my order on getting the most bang for our buck by not ordering the less expensive items. I felt like I had to get the steak because it was more expensive.

It’s so funny, I look at the prices no matter what.

How do you feel about dessert? DDP is so focused on dessert, Dessert, DESSERT!

Do you have cocktails or wine with your meals? How about in addition to meals?

We don’t care for dessert and we prefer appetizers. Sometimes I order two appetizers as the whole meal. Not only that, but we like our alcohol to be discounted, as well. (hiccup)

TIW works best for us. We save the cost of the card almost immediately.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1127743]How do you feel about dessert? DDP is so focused on dessert, Dessert, DESSERT!

Do you have cocktails or wine with your meals? How about in addition to meals?

We don’t care for dessert and we prefer appetizers. Sometimes I order two appetizers as the whole meal. Not only that, but we like our alcohol to be discounted, as well. (hiccup)

TIW works best for us. We save the cost of the card almost immediately.[/QUOTE]

Wine with a nice meal is usual. Wine with a bad meal makes it better, so it is usually usual. We also prefer appitizers over desserts.

Ohhhh, the Chef’s Table…Nice. What a treat. We ate in the main dining room and loved it, I can’t imagine how wonderful the Chef’s Table would be.[/QUOTE]

We have tried the dining room (awesome) and last time th Queen Anne’s Room. I had some kind of coughing spell from the carpet fiasco at the WL. So it is either a re-do or the Chef’s table. My math tells me the TiW would save $74 from the main dining room. And if I have socked away the money already, why mess w/it?

Since I budget practically everything down to our snacks. I have found that TIW will beat the DDP by around $425.00 on this trip. We bought it last spring so we do not have the cost on this trip. Last trip it was about $250.00 cheaper with the cost of the card figured in that time.

I love that you did the math!!! BUT –

For us, it’s about having total 100% freedom to order what we want, when we want, where we want, and have the booze discounted, as well. It really gets down to the freedom factor.

Entree/Dessert/Soda is not our style!!!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1127749]I love that you did the math!!! BUT –

For us, it’s about having total 100% freedom to order what we want, when we want, where we want, and have the booze discounted, as well. It really gets down to the freedom factor.

Entree/Dessert/Soda is not our style!!![/QUOTE]

If I were DVC or had AP’s and were eligible for TIW everything you listed above would be reason enough to not even consider DDP.
Since we can’t get TIW I went online and priced items from places we plan to visit and every time OOP was less than DDP. Now, if we planned to visit V&A or CG I may have to rethink it, but since we’re not DDP doesn’t make much since.
Long story short…with the places you have listed TIW appears to be a better deal than DDP.

If I didn’t have TiW, I would do the Deluxe Dining Plan-especially if you are going to eat at signatures. I always felt that if it was just DH and I, that was the best deal. (I have not looked at the 2013 prices yet so it might not be a good deal anymore!)

Oh, and forget the 20% discount and book yourself that Chef’s Table you have been saving for- You will not regret it!! We will never eat in the mail dining room again!

For us, neither plan is worth it. DH doesn’t drink and my one glass of wine doesn’t justify the cost. We rarely have appetizers or dessert - or I’ll have 2 appetizers for my meal. Or sometimes will both share appetizers and then have dessert - just depends on how we’re feeling. My dh hates to waste food - he’s almost pathological about it - and I could never eat appetizers, meal and dessert -or even meal and dessert. So for us, no.

If we were like normal people I’d go with TIW.

We used DDP on this trip … (Free w/ our trip)

• Right out of the gate our first meal for 5 had a total of $120. There was no way out of pocket we would have made it thru the week. We did not know what to expect, but we were happy with the results !!! We hope they offer it up again on our next visit.

I’m forcing myself to take a “wait and see” approach for our (tentative) upcoming trip. Not that I have much choice in the matter. :laugh:

We’re considering 10 days- which seems to be about the tipping point for getting an AP, so TIW might be an option.

If there’s free dining, we’ll just go with that and do what we can with it.

One thing I will not be doing is paying for the Dining Plan. Seems like it was originally worth it, but now it’s not. I enjoy appetizers and wish they’d remained as part of the plan!

I’m really hoping for an excellent room discount rather than free dining. :happy: