A Few Last Minute Questions

So my family and I will be in Disney World at this time in 18 days!!! That’s just a little over 2 weeks!!! Woohoo!!! I’m so excited! :biggrin:

So anyway if you all don’t mind, I have a few last minute questions that you might be able to help me with.

(1.) I haven’t been to Disney since since I was young. Now, I have a cell phone, a credit card and a wallet of my own to worry about. Is a fanny pack the right way to go? should I get one big enough to put my own wallet in or should I pick up a small money pouch and just hang onto my ID, Money, cell phone, and credit card?

(2.) I was originally planning on just putting all my trip money into my account at home and using my debit card everywhere we went. I found out that even though we have the DDP we’ll still have to pay for Tips and any alcoholic drinks we have. Should I carry cash with me or should we use traveler’s checks?

(3.) If I’m going to have things like my cell phone on me all the time, will the people at the rids be able to hold onto fanny packs or backpacks while you go on big water rides? (Kali River Rapids or Splash Mountain for example)

(4.) What are things that people usually forget to bring to Disney with them that I should remember to bring?

Any help or last minute suggestions would be great! Thanks bunches!

• Drea

I know you are sooo excited! I hope you have a wonderful trip!! To answer your questions:

1. I personally don’t like fanny packs, because I think it would make me hotter to have something strapped around my waist. I like a cross-body bag, and I have a couple, but the one I use the most at Disney is my Vera Bradley large hipster. I saw a lot of ladies on our trip last week using the small hipster. If you are only going to need to carry your cell phone, id and small essentials, I think the small one would be great.

2. We like to just charge stuff back to our room, keeping an eye on how much we’re spending as we go, and just pay one big bill at the end. I would not carry my debit card, and I don’t think you can get traveler’s checks anymore. You might want to consider getting a Visa gift card for yourself and just put all of your trip money on that. But be warned: if you get to lower amount on those cards than your bill is, sometimes they won’t go through. For example, you have $50 left on the card, but your bill is $51 and you want to use the remaining $50 and pay the extra $1, it might not run. It’s happened to me.

3. On a lot of rides, there are little pouches for you to stick your stuff in while you ride. Kali River Rapids actually has a big thing in the middle that seals up. My stuff has never gotten wet on Kali, but I’ve been drenched! You really don’t get that wet on Splash, typically, so your stuff should be okay. I actually got SOAKED on Splash one night last week and although there isn’t any protective place for your stuff, my bag was only slightly damp. On the rides that don’t have place for your stuff, I just wrap the straps of my bag around my legs and tuck my bag behind my feet in the floor of the ride.

4. I like to have wet wipes with me to clean up sticky fingers or nasty tables at counter service restaurants that haven’t been wiped yet, but it’s the only place to sit!

A few thoughts:
~I prefer a backpack to a fanny pack…you can carry water bottles (VERY expensive in the parks), a light sweater for the evening, etc.
~I use my debit card for nearly everything (even most snack kiosks); I carry very little cash.
~Things to bring? Sunscreen, lip balm, tylenol, sudafed, band-aids, etc…all sold down there, but you’ll have to take a second mortgage out to be able to afford them!
~Final thought: HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Whenever DH and I go, we put everything in a camelbak or a small backpack. The camelbak is great b/c it’s also like a big waterbottle that stays cold for hours. If you’re staying in a WDW resort, they give you this cool room key/ticket thing that you can also charge things too. That’s what we always did (but we did keep a debit card on us just in case). As for the water rides, your stuff shouldn’t get too wet, your cell should be allright. There’s a little “waterproof” bucket type dealy on kali river rapids that keeps things resonably dry. Like i said before, a cellphone should be fine, i would only be weary if you had an iphone…b/c who wants to risk getting $100 worth of phone wet? A fanny pak? if you feel comfortable with it, then go for it, but i preferred a tiny backpack. As long as you have sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, a back up poncho cash and ID, you should be all set for Disney…IMHO.

Small camel back, your room card will charge anything back for final payout, it’s real easy and convenient. Relax, enjoy, see you there!

Oh yeah, take a couple of big zip locks for your stuff to stay dry and stick them in the camel back!

Take as little as possible into the parks, room key, cell, water, sunscreen, hat, CAMERA, etc. Small backpack or fanny pack to hold it all, as you prefer.

Don’t forget those pesky chargers for your electronics, cell, camera, you’ll be really ticked when your batteries die and you can’t plug in overnight (been there, will never do that again.)

We leave tomorrow, I’ll let them know you’re on your way… (just kidding)… have a great trip, we plan to.

I just have my little over the shoulder leather handbag. It works for me. My husband likes a back pack - Not often, because we only take our wallets when we go to the parks.
We usually have one of those that you can buy in the parks with drawstrings

[QUOTE=diofthesouth;986415]A few thoughts:
~I prefer a backpack to a fanny pack…you can carry water bottles (VERY expensive in the parks), a light sweater for the evening, etc.
~I use my debit card for nearly everything (even most snack kiosks); I carry very little cash.
~Things to bring? Sunscreen, lip balm, tylenol, sudafed, band-aids, etc…all sold down there, but you’ll have to take a second mortgage out to be able to afford them!
~Final thought: HAVE A GREAT TIME!!![/QUOTE]

I agree everything is so expense, don’t forget the sunglasses

You must be getting excited!!

1. Not a fan of the fanny-pack. Unless you’re a supermodel the fanny-pack is not a fan of your hips - anyone’s hips. I like a small, soft, over the shoulder bag - one with a wide strap at the shoulder. It’s easier to get into and looks WAAAY nicer. Look around - there are some great ones out there. (appearance is important, even at WDW.:closedeye)

2. I always carried a bit of money. Unless you’re going for a meal, you won’t really be tipping anyone in the parks… Traveler’s checks can be a bit of a pain.

3. That’s been answered.

4. The most important things to carry are sunscreen, moleskin (for blisters) and hand sanitizer.

I’ve been told by castmembers in the past that I could leave my backpack/bag on the platform while I rode a ride, but they would NOT watch it nor be responsible for it. So I always carry my bag on with me. I usually stick a gallon ziploc bag inside my backpack so that I can put my phone, camera, etc in it for the water rides, just in case my backpack does get wet.

Everyone’s advice is great! Have fun!

We use a regular backpack for carrying around extras. We try not to take a lot to the parks but we have a ziplock bag for our son’s pins, an umbrella, autograph book/pen, a small ziplock bag with an assortment of over the counter meds and bandaids, and maybe a snack or two.

I’m just not a fan of fanny packs but I understand people want a way to carry small stuff.

I bet you are getting so excited, I wish you a great trip!

To answer your questions…

I would try a hipster or a small backpack, not a fan of the fanny pack!

Personnaly I would not trust anyone else to watch my stuff unless they were in my traveling party. You can never be too careful! Like someone else said, some of the rides have spaces to hold your stuff while you ride, like Kali Rapids, but in order to keep the things you have safe and dry I would keep cell phones and the such in zip lock bags inside your choice of item to carry them! Zip Lock bags are a saving grace at Disney!

I would also just leave a credit card on file at your hotel, and everything will be charged to it. It helps us keep track of our spendings and then we get the one bill at the end. When I get home (or even before, if I remember) I just take the cash and pay the card. (This way I begin accumulating rewards on my Disney Visa for next trip! ). I of course always have our debit card on us incase we need cash, and we always travel with some cash as well!

I tend to bring a mini flashlight when we go, I find it useful at night when we need to find something in the backpack, stroller, my purse, ect… It just hangs on the backpack, so light it adds no weight at all!

GUM!!! If you are a gum chewer, you will not find gum sold at all on Disney property, so you must bring it with you!

A poncho and/or umbrella (you can buy both in Disney, but why would you if you could buy them at your local $ store for as little as a $! We have never taken a Disney trip that we haven’t experienced rain. In florida it usually doesn’t ruin the day, but it tends to shower here and there, and it seems to help with the cool off! (If you choose a small backpack to carry and are wearing sneakers, pack an extra pair of socks!)

I could go on and on, but I will stop here! You get the picture!!! Have a blast!

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;986457]

A poncho and/or umbrella (you can buy both in Disney, but why would you if you could buy them at your local $ store for as little as a $! We have never taken a Disney trip taht we haven’t experienced rain. In florida it usually doesn’t ruin the day, but it tends to shower here and there, and it seems to help with the cool off! (If you choose a small backpack to carry and are wearing sneakers, pack an extra pair of socks!)![/QUOTE]

This is good advice. Actually, if you’re doing water rides (and very good for the flash floods that happen in the afternoons) - throw a cheap pair of flipflops in the backpack.

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;986457]

A poncho and/or umbrella (you can buy both in Disney, but why would you if you could buy them at your local $ store for as little as a $! We have never taken a Disney trip that we haven’t experienced rain. In florida it usually doesn’t ruin the day, but it tends to shower here and there, and it seems to help with the cool off! (If you choose a small backpack to carry and are wearing sneakers, pack an extra pair of socks!)[/QUOTE]

I bought ponchos at Target in the camping section for $1.14 each before our trip. They were very handy the 2 afternoons we had downpours last week.

Since most has been covered only a couple of things left.
Batteries for your camera, they’re a small fortune in park.
And if you’re a gum chewer i’ve never seen any for sale in the parks.
If you take your wallet, empty it before you go. I doubt your video store, grocery store or your local event schedules will do you much good down there. Just more unnecessary bulk to carry.

Ooh, good one about the gum…I totally forgot about that one…did you know that Walt himself decided gum wouldn’t be sold starting with Disneyland…too much of a mess!

My DH has a ‘summer wallet’ he uses. We take a lot of shorter trips in the summer along with a trip or two and he likes a certain wallet for travel. Sadly, he just switched back and put the summer wallet away until next year.

I’m one of the rare ones who loves using my fanny pack. I truly don’t care if it’s not stylish in peoples viewpoint. It’s the perfect size to carry a camera, lip balm, sun glasses and has great inside zippers for credit card, room card and cash. I love the feeling of not having to worry about holding or losing something if I set it down, and I don’t even know its there as far as weight on my back, etc.

1. I prefer backpacks as well. I like to carry several bottles of water (that way I can supply my family members with water when they forget theirs), a new shirt (weird but I always seem to have to change my shirt while in the park) and a few other items.
    2)I would carry a small amount of cash and your debit card. You should be able to use it while in the park and Ive never been charged for using my debit card while at Disney. Im not a fan of carrying large amounts of cash with me while on vacation.
  2. As far as I know No they dont. They have lockers in front if you are really worried about it. Ive always taken my bag on the rides with me and they seem no worse for wear.
  3. First time I went I forgot antihistamine. I was also pregnant and only allowed to use one type of antihistamine. Lucky the gift shop had some but it would have been a lot cheaper if I hadn’t forgot. My MIL forgot a prescription that time now (we are really glad they live near Disney now so when we forget things we can go back to their place to get them).

Suggestions: Have fun! Enjoy yourself and take tons of pictures!