A few questions about pins

I tried searching for these questions on MB, but I came up with nothing… apologies if these have been posted/answered already!

I have been collecting pins for a while, but rather casually - just ones that I really like, not trying to get a whole series or anything. Also I’ve never traded, because I only buy ones I want to hold on to. :happy: Anyway… I have quite a few, and I thought it’s a shame to just keep them hidden in my room, so I bought a lanyard and want to wear them on my next trip. But now I’m thinking… would it be rude (impolite, show-offy, whatever) to wear a lanyard just to display my pins, and not intend to trade any of them?

Also, I’ve read the great stories people have of trading with CMs. If I did decide to trade, would I be allowed to trade with a CM, or is that reserved for younger pin traders?

Thanks in advance! :heart:

Anyone regardless of age is allowed to trade with a CM. As for wearing your lanyard and not wanting to trade, I don’t think this should be too much of an issue. People are more likely to strike up conversation for trading purposes with a CM because CM’s have to. If someone does want to check out your pins for a possible trade, fine, I would let them and if they don’t have anything you want, kindly decline. No big deal.

You can trade with any CM’s with a blue lanyard. If they have a green lanyard it is only for kids to trade with.

Oh, you can definitely wear it “for show.” We used to wear lanyards that were 75% “treasures” and 25% “trade bait.” By the end of the trip, they would be 100% treasures.

People will still definitely want to look at them and may want to trade, but it’s all optional.

Bruce

If you are going to wear them just for show, I would recommend the locking backs. Pins have a tendency to fall off the lanyard when you are just walking around wearing them. You wouldn’t want one of your treasures lost now would you? I think plenty of people wear their pins for show, it’s like jewelry!

Enjoy pin trading . . . my girls LOVE it! :heart:

Remember to leave some room on your lanyard for new pins. We will by some pins with the idea of trading them for fun.

Pin trading with CMs is the best way to pin trade. They are willing to let you guide what you trade from rather than a stranger who picks a specific pin. you are allowed to wear them for show of course. If anyone asks you for a trade, just explain they are not trading pins, just show pins. Keep a couple of traders on there for children though…the little kids may not get it. You should have at least a few for them to pick from and tell them which one are for trade etc.

I agree with everyone else, you can wear your pins just for show. Don’t feel bad saying no to a trade, they are your pins. I keep a ZipLock bag in our backpack to put my son’s lanyard in when he’s not wearing it, it keeps it a little safer and if pins do fall off they are in the bag not loose in the backpack waiting to stab me.

I second the locking backs, we’ve found a few pins on the ground.

I will wear one with my favorites to show and carry a second one in my pocket for trading…by the end of the day though…well i have two lanyards with favorites :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;942843]I agree with everyone else, you can wear your pins just for show. Don’t feel bad saying no to a trade, they are your pins. I keep a ZipLock bag in our backpack to put my son’s lanyard in when he’s not wearing it, it keeps it a little safer and if pins do fall off they are in the bag not loose in the backpack waiting to stab me.

I second the locking backs, we’ve found a few pins on the ground.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing . . . easier to grab too. My DDs even wear their lanyards and we keep traders in a smaller baggie, so it’s grab and trade. DD5 always wants to take the back off herself, and thank goodness most CM have patience, sometimes it takes a loooooooong time for her to make a trade! :laugh:

We’ve scored a few pins that way and jibbitz, those things come right out of the mickey hole crocs!

Thanks so much for all the info! :heart:

I will indeed, then, be wearing my lanyard “for show”. :happy: I really like the idea of putting some traders on there too so that kids don’t get disappointed… that’s what I was most worried about.

I’ll be watching for the CMs with the blue lanyards. I feel like I need to trade with them at least once, just to say I did it. :laugh:

I didn’t even know they had locking backs - I will definitely be getting these. Do they sell them at any pin store/stand?

my DD & I both traded pins on our last trip…not one person approached us to trade. we traded with CM’s…i personally would not let my DD approach anyone other than a CM to trade either…don’t want her to be denied a trade! lol

i wouldn’t worry too much about being asked to trade by other park goers…jmho

have fun…wear you pins and show them off! :o)

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;943018]Thanks so much for all the info! :heart:

I will indeed, then, be wearing my lanyard “for show”. :happy: I really like the idea of putting some traders on there too so that kids don’t get disappointed… that’s what I was most worried about.

I’ll be watching for the CMs with the blue lanyards. I feel like I need to trade with them at least once, just to say I did it. :laugh:

I didn’t even know they had locking backs - I will definitely be getting these. Do they sell them at any pin store/stand?[/QUOTE]

Yep! All the pin places have them. You can try ebay too, cheaper!

My kids have never been approached by another child or adult to trade, we always go to CM . . . and once you do, you will be ADDICTED! :mickey:

Yes the rubber pin backs are sold en masse at all pin locations in the World!:laugh:

[QUOTE=chottsy;943020]my DD & I both traded pins on our last trip…not one person approached us to trade. we traded with CM’s…i personally would not let my DD approach anyone other than a CM to trade either…don’t want her to be denied a trade! lol

i wouldn’t worry too much about being asked to trade by other park goers…jmho

have fun…wear you pins and show them off! :o)[/QUOTE]

My son has only traded with CMs. I guess if he wanted to trade with another guest and it looked like a fair trade I would be fine with it but we’ve never been asked to trade in all our trips.

I agree my girls just love to trade pins when we have been there both times before. I go on ebay and buy anywhere from 50 to 100 each for them to trade there. It is so much cheaper than buying them at wdw and plus you can do it over time so you are not out as much money in one stop. They have a new cast lanyard series of the alphabet out I am hoping to get both girls name spelled out for them So I can put it in a case on there wall with there other favs. from WDW.

Thanks so much for all the help! So it sounds like I may not even need to worry about trading with anyone but CMs… but however it works out will be fine. I’ll come prepared. :happy:

I already have all my pins arranged on my lanyard… and I found a Tinkerbell keychain to put on the metal ring at the bottom… now all I need is a Disney trip!! :laugh:

a friend of our that worked in the CP got our family hooked on pin trading and it’s absolutely one of the best parts of going to Disney World (except for those old pin sharks in Downtown Disney, but that’s a different story)