A friend in need - DVC through dis or resale?

A dear friend of mine is at WDW right now. She JUST finished a DVC presentation and is VERY excited.
Her question is about Disney sales vs. resales.

Anyone?

Bought through resale and paid $65 a point for OKW. It all depends on what you want to do. This is a link to the company that we used and were very happy with. They have listings for all the resorts. The resale market also offers resorts that have been sold out for many years.

Have her research it and wait to make a decision. Either way being a DVC member makes me:happy::happy::happy:

DVC Resales / Disney Vacation Club / The Timeshare Store, Inc.

Thanks! I’m txting her now!

Bottom Line: You can pay less money going by resale, but get the newest properties by going direct through Disney. If the location isn’t as important as just being a member, you can pay less up front through resale. If the newer locations are more important (like Bay Lake Towers) you’ll be going through Disney. Be sure to take into account the length of the contract (expire dates are sooner for the older properties) and the annual dues for each property when making your decision.

Originally purchase points at BW in 1998 and then decided to add on several years later and bought VB points. Just a few months ago for the first time bought additional paoints via resale. We bought additional VB points for $58 per point!! We actually have never been to VB yet but have used our points and have been abl eto stay everyone we have chosen to at WDW although we do travel at slower times of th eyear. Good Luck with whatever she decided but we were very happy with our experience purchasing resale through the Timeshare Store.

Just FYI they do have the BLT available for resale already:wink:

And yes I agree that the dates are different too. My OKW DVC membership expires in 2047 but the new properties expire much later.

One thing to be careful of in resale is closing cost which can really run up your cost per point. $500 closing costs on a 100 point effectively adds $5 per point to your cost.

Resale prices are better on the older properties. But these locations also expire sooner too. The best buys right now IMHO are at SSR.

Other consideration is financing. Buying direct is easy to finance. While there are some way to finance, resales are generally cash deals.

[QUOTE=Dawn;1047272]Just FYI they do have the BLT available for resale already:wink:
[/QUOTE]

But may not be as good of a deal. I see BLT resales for $102.00 per pooint. When we bought BLT direct from Disney, their special was a certain amount off per point, which turned out to be $96.00 a point. So, definitely check the Disney specials before doing resale for the newer DVC resorts.

Like a PP said, older resorts expire in 2042. BLT expires in 2060. 18 years difference.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1047165]A dear friend of mine is at WDW right now. She JUST finished a DVC presentation and is VERY excited.
Her question is about Disney sales vs. resales.

Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on what you’re looking for. We are old enough that the extra years really don’t matter to us, we’re more interested in the resort fitting us. When we bought our theory was we would rather be happy for 32 years than unhappy for 45 years (or what ever the numbers were at the time we bought). We are not flexible with when we can go so being able to book at our favorite resort at the 11 month mark is important to us.

We bought a sold out resort directly from Disney. At the time the price difference wasn’t huge when we added in the resale closing costs (no closing costs through DVC on a sold out resort). DVC won’t offer the sold out resorts but they are available, however, you may have to go on a wait list to get them. Our wait was only 3 months to get the resort we wanted, other resorts are available right away.

UPDATE!!!

My friend sent me a message today saying that (on the last full day of their trip) they closed on BLT! :flowers:

WOW!! I’m still in shock and can only imagine how she’s feeling right now…how exciting! She keeps saying over and over again “Welcome Home”! :heart:

…and they want to take my husband and I on an anniversary trip next August! Woohoooooo!!!

Where to go…

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1047342]UPDATE!!!

My friend sent me a message today saying that (on the last full day of their trip) they closed on BLT! :flowers:

WOW!! I’m still in shock and can only imagine how she’s feeling right now…how exciting! She keeps saying over and over again “Welcome Home”! :heart:

…and they want to take my husband and I on an anniversary trip next August! Woohoooooo!!!

Where to go…[/QUOTE]

YAY! How awesome. Especially that they want to share with you! Congrats to your friend! :happy:

Welcome Home to your friend…and you! How great that they are going to share it with you. Have a wonderful time!

yes,especially okw which started 20 years ago and original contracts unless extended have a short life span left

Our pals are home now and invited us over for a campfire and beverages. The four of us (adult kids!) spent quality time figuring out where to go and what points we’d need.

Result? 4 nights at AKL and the last night at BLT! :heart:

This is exciting for my hubby and I since DVC membership doesn’t really pay off for campers. (We :heart: our FW!) We’ll have a chance to see how DVCers do disney and enjoy the benefits that our friends will recieve.

Glad they chosen to “WELCOME (us) HOME” as they experience their first DVC trip!

Yay us!..Two trips in one year!

Welcome home to your friends…and I’m glad they are taking you with them. Buying DVC is so exciting, and you just can’t wait to start planning your next vacation. DVC membership was the best purchase my DH and I ever made. We use ours all the time, and so do our kids and friends!

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1047342]UPDATE!!!

Where to go…[/QUOTE]

They are your new BFFs!

Have they gotten the bug to add on yet? :laugh:

Congratulations to your Best Friendsand yourself!!!

I loved your thread because I have been thinking of buying but not sure yet. Your thread will open up the conversation again with DH

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1048136]They are your new BFFs!

Have they gotten the bug to add on yet? :laugh:[/QUOTE]

HA HA HA…:laugh:

OF COURSE!!! My girlfriend said her DH was already looking at how to payoff earlier, buy another set of points…and eventually have enough for a month of stay!! :cool: (and this was just after closing on their first 160 points!)

:biggrin:

We just sent the paperwork back Friday. I can’t believe we are really DVC members! BLT is our home resort, I’m not sure if I can stand not going back until next August!