Accident at EE

Disney Expedition Everest: Light pole falls, roller coaster closes briefly at Disney’s Animal Kingdom - OrlandoSentinel.com

Disney Expedition Everest: Light pole falls, roller coaster closes briefly at Disney’s Animal Kingdom - OrlandoSentinel.com

We had pretty wicked storms that past two days. Lots of rain, lightening, and gusty wind.

I personally lost part of my fence line…don’t worry no one was injured or had to go to the hospital. I think my neighbor might have a little damage to a bush.

:ohmy: Yikes!

Well I guess my first post did work, computer was acting up here at work.

…something weird with the website I think…there are several double posts today…:slight_smile:

Did this happen a second time? I read about this a few weeks ago.

I’m guessing this was a train on that spur just outside the station.

Here’s something funny from the article: “It hit the car on Expedition Everest, a ride designed to look like a train.”

Wow! Who would have ever thought that they designed a roller coaster train to look like a train! I mean beside everyone. It’s a train, of course it looks like a train, duh!

Hanwill, the article is dated June 7, so that’s last Wednesday or Thursday it happened.

Yikes. Just seeing the title scared me so badly.

The first time I rode EE, the jerk-boy I was sitting next to played along with my “is this supposed to happen??” fears and I seriously thought we were LITERALLY going to DIE. I was saying my prayers and everything.

So glad this accident wasn’t that serious.

Oh this is a bit scary. At least there were no injuries though, by the sound of things!

I have to say, it does make me a bit nervous to ride it while we’re there now! :pinch: Although, I’m sure Disney wouldn’t open it up again if there was something wrong with it. Hope not anyway! I will get back to you guys on how the riding experience goes!! :happy:

[QUOTE=Screever;1113815]Yikes. Just seeing the title scared me so badly.

The first time I rode EE, the jerk-boy I was sitting next to played along with my “is this supposed to happen??” fears and I seriously thought we were LITERALLY going to DIE. I was saying my prayers and everything.

So glad this accident wasn’t that serious.[/QUOTE]

All boys are jerks. And girls have cooties. That’s what I tell my 9yo DD now, and that’s what I’ll be telling her when she’s 60!

I hate the Orlando Sentinel, by the way. That paper will cover any news from WDW it can cast in a negative light, so I was expecting the article to be the usual pablum. But this does seem newsworthy (well done at long last, Sentinel). I am sure the EE procedures have been re-adapted to address the light pole issues in storms by now.

Our local paper’s the same way. If it’s negative, it’s news. “Boy Cries at Community Easter Egg Hunt: Did C’ville Provide Enough Eggs for the Children?”

LOL. That made me laugh! :happy:

I’m just wondering if your complaint is aimed at the on line version or the actual printed paper, which does differ from the on line version.
They do print plenty of positive theme park stories. Just keep in mind that the nine main parks and five major waterparks, along with hundreds of tourist spots, tourism is the most important industry in central Florida, so there will be enhanced coverage of everything bad and good that happens, be it an accident, a ride breakdown, or a major incident, or for a park opening, major announcement, or special event.

Overall, the Sentinel and its Fort Lauderdale cousin, the Sun-Sentinel, are better than average papers by all measures.

As a side question, whatever happened to the Paterson papers and the Newark Daily News? We know the answer is the same as what happened to the Miami News and the NY Herald Tribune as well as papers from coast to coast. They went away for various reasons and never came back.

The Sentinel banned me from posting in the comments. I did use any bad words, slurs, or threats, I just disagreed with a certain position of the editorial board and called them on their bias.

Now I can’t login…

And yes they do like to sensationalize non-issues into big stories they hope will catch the populations imaginations so they can write about it for days and days.

Their Disney Blog is pretty good but on the news side they seem to be digging for dirt

Ha – the egg story still has me laughing!

A billion years ago, I was slaving away at journalism school. We spent hours (days, weeks, semesters…) studying news organization trends. My classmates and I yapped about it until our jaws hurt. I can’t place the exact line between good news coverage and shameless sensationalism, but I know it when I see it.

The Sentinel has always been stomach-turning to me. I think my first experience with that paper was years and years ago when I didn’t care for its coverage of a death at WDW. It occurred to me that with the number of visitors to WDW each and every year (now estimated to be over 40 million!) that someone is bound to pass away on property.

As for why papers go out of business, it is almost always because of reduced readership and the resulting diminished advertising revenue.