Adding a Dining Package

Hi all, I have a dining plan package question.
How late can you add park tickets and a dining package to your reservation? And, if you booked a room-only reservation, with a discount, can you still pay full price for the tickets and dining to make it a package?
Has anyone had experience with this?

A couple months ago I called down and paid off the balance of our trip. At the time, the CM said that I had up to a week? prior to our arrival to add the dining plan along with tickets. Upon further discussion, my parents decided that they wanted to add the CS plan to their reservation. My DF just called down the the CM he spoke to said that he would have to cancel his reservation and re-book to make up the package. If we cancel our reservation, we’ll loose our discount on our room as there are no specials on right now for our trip date.

Because I’ve had two different answers from two different CM’s, I thought I’d come here to see if I can find any input/experience. :happy:

Thanks!

Hmmm… I think the first answer is right. But I don’t know…

I’d simply suggest CM roulette until you get someone who thinks they can do what you’re asking for. :happy:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1069628]Hmmm… I think the first answer is right. But I don’t know…

I’d simply suggest CM roulette until you get someone who thinks they can do what you’re asking for. :happy:[/QUOTE]

That was my thought too…keep calling until I get the answer that I want. :laugh: Thanks.

I think you can only add the dining package if you are using the Magic Your Way package or you are an annual passholder or you are staying at DVC on DVC points. If this is true you would need to cancel your room only reservation and book a MYW package to get dining.

I thought that by adding the tickets and the dining I was making it into a MYW package. I’m still not sure why I have to cancel, but it sounds like it might just be some sort of policy.

Hopefully, you are correct. Keith, at Mouseketrips, should be able to answer this question for you. He will definately know and can help you get it set-up if possible. You might try giving him a call.

Although Disney is one huge company, it is actually comprised of several smaller companies. In the case of resort reservations, one company handles room-only reservations and another separate company handles package reservations.

By definition, a room-only reservation is just that, a room reservation. A package reservation is defined as room +tickets, with the option of adding a dining plan. So if you add tickets to a room-only reservation, it can’t possibly be a room-only reservation, it now becomes a package reservation.

And any Disney Dining Plan MUST be part of a package; the DDP can’t be added as an a la carte item (except for the exceptions listed above by 6Baggs4Dis). So as you can see, you can’t just add the DDP to your room-only reservation, it must be changed to a package reservation. And the package reservation must include a minimum of a 1-day base ticket.

Money-wise, when you change from a room-only to a package, it isn’t as simple as just transfering the reservation. In reality, the package is booked, and once that is confirmed then the room-only is cancelled. This also means that you can’t transfer funds between the two reservations. To book a room-only, you make a deposit of at least one night’s room rate + tax. If you then change your reservation to a package, you must make a separate $200 deposit on the package; you will later receive a refund of your entire room-only deposit (in the form in which you paid it), but that money can’t simply be transfered from the room-only to the package.

The payment terms also change. After the deposit, the balance of a room-only reservation isn’t due until the time of check-in. For a package, the balance is due by 45 days before arrival. But if you book a package fewer than 45 days before arrival, the entire balance is due immediately. So if 4 weeks before your trip you want to change your room-only to a package, you must pay the entire cost of the package at the moment you make the new reservation.

I am 100% certain of everything I wrote above. The one thing I’m NOT certain of is whether, in changing the reservation, you might still be able to hold onto the discount on the room. I THINK I’ve read some reports of being able to do so but I can’t confirm it. I don’t like reporting things I’m not 100% sure of.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1069650]Although Disney is one huge company, it is actually comprised of several smaller companies. In the case of resort reservations, one company handles room-only reservations and another separate company handles package reservations.

By definition, a room-only reservation is just that, a room reservation. A package reservation is defined as room +tickets, with the option of adding a dining plan. So if you add tickets to a room-only reservation, it can’t possibly be a room-only reservation, it now becomes a package reservation.

And any Disney Dining Plan MUST be part of a package; the DDP can’t be added as an a la carte item (except for the exceptions listed above by 6Baggs4Dis). So as you can see, you can’t just add the DDP to your room-only reservation, it must be changed to a package reservation. And the package reservation must include a minimum of a 1-day base ticket.

Money-wise, when you change from a room-only to a package, it isn’t as simple as just transfering the reservation. In reality, the package is booked, and once that is confirmed then the room-only is cancelled. This also means that you can’t transfer funds between the two reservations. To book a room-only, you make a deposit of at least one night’s room rate + tax. If you then change your reservation to a package, you must make a separate $200 deposit on the package; you will later receive a refund of your entire room-only deposit (in the form in which you paid it), but that money can’t simply be transfered from the room-only to the package.

The payment terms also change. After the deposit, the balance of a room-only reservation isn’t due until the time of check-in. For a package, the balance is due by 45 days before arrival. But if you book a package fewer than 45 days before arrival, the entire balance is due immediately. So if 4 weeks before your trip you want to change your room-only to a package, you must pay the entire cost of the package at the moment you make the new reservation.

I am 100% certain of everything I wrote above. The one thing I’m NOT certain of is whether, in changing the reservation, you might still be able to hold onto the discount on the room. I THINK I’ve read some reports of being able to do so but I can’t confirm it. I don’t like reporting things I’m not 100% sure of.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. We’ve already paid our balance of our room only reservation, so I don’t think we’ll bother with the dining plan. We were only planning on doing the CS plan, but I don’t think the plan is worth that much of a savings to go to all this trouble of switching reservations, and having to pay for a second package up front, or worth risking our discount - not to mention all the long-distance charges that I am accumulating!!:pinch:

Here I was all ready to hand over another $1400 to Disney this morning for tickets and dining, and now it’s still in my pocket…Disney, turn away money, go figure!:laugh:

Let me try to make you feel even better about NOT buying the Quick-Service Dining Plan. Unless you are the type to eat dessert with two meals a day every day, then the QSDP isn’t a money saver.

Don’t get me wrong, I love desserts. But, at least while at WDW, my family and I will tend to NOT get dessert with a meal but would rather grab some ice cream and such as a mid-day snack or an end of the night snack. So, in my case, I wouldn’t be using the desserts that come with the 2 CS meals per day, and it’s not like you can get some sort of credit to use later for a part of a meal that you didn’t eat.

So what I’m getting at is, if you look at the menu prices ( Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World ) you’ll see that if you price out 2 CS meals per day WITHOUT desserts plus 2 snacks a day, you’ll usually be below or maybe just barely make up the daily cost of the QSDP.

72 hours out.
I know.
I’ve done it frequently, at the last minute adding the dining plan to a room only reservation so I wouldn’t be forced to pay the vacation in full 45 days out.
One little thing, it will be processed as an entirely new reservation, so it will take about 3 business days for the original one full night deposit to be returned to you. (On a room only, you’re only required to pay one full night in order as your deposit and you don’t have to pay the balance until you check in. With a package, you have to pay in full 45 days out.)

[QUOTE=Andrea;1069628]Hmmm… I think the first answer is right. But I don’t know…

I’d simply suggest CM roulette until you get someone who thinks they can do what you’re asking for. :happy:[/QUOTE]

the first answer makes sense to people like us who have common sense and do things the easy way.

The second one, where they will cancel your reservation, you lose your discount, re-book the package with all that you want, is what they’ll do.

I have encountered that personally for our trip this past January…

The frustrating thing about Disney is that their rules do not follow common sense. We have to forget that common sense exists, and just accept that Disney’s rules are Disney’s rules.

When we try to make sense of them, or we try to make assumptions about what the rules must be, we get disappointed and frustrated.

Years ago, I resigned myself to learning the Disney rules rather than trying to figure them out. I hate explaining Disney rules to people, because when I, figuratively, tell them that 1 + 1 = Banana, I get funny looks from people.

And Disney’s rules make about as much sense as 1 + 1 = Banana.

Soundgod is right, 72 hours will 100% work. You can do it and add dining no problem. While in their system it may show as a cancel, it doesn’t for you. They will modify your room ressie no problem what so ever. I know this for a fact!

[QUOTE=Dopey;1069766]The second one, where they will cancel your reservation, you lose your discount, re-book the package with all that you want, is what they’ll do.

I have encountered that personally for our trip this past January…[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was afraid of…the dining plan isn’t worth losing our room only discount that we got.
If they would just switch it all over and still keep our discount, I might have gone for it, but at this point, I’m not going to bother changing it all.
Thanks for the input.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1069650]

And any Disney Dining Plan MUST be part of a package; the DDP can’t be added as an a la carte item (except for the exceptions listed above by 6Baggs4Dis). So as you can see, you can’t just add the DDP to your room-only reservation, it must be changed to a package reservation. And the package reservation must include a minimum of a 1-day base ticket.[/QUOTE]

:nonono2::nonono2: you forgot us again. :wink:
Granted, we (military) are not the majority but the exception is made.
Otherwise a lot of helpful advice for any reader here. :happy:

I don’t know about the dining package but I do know that add the dining package it has to do with the number of days that you are staying at a disney world resort. As far as the park tickets on one of our vacations I did not call to add the park tickets till 3 days before we left. All I did what do will call and when I got to the resort I gave that conformation number to the front desk and they added it to my room card.

No they won’t. at least not if you are dealing with Disney by phone.

I would not risk losing the better discount.

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1069788]That’s what I was afraid of…the dining plan isn’t worth losing our room only discount that we got.
If they would just switch it all over and still keep our discount, I might have gone for it, but at this point, I’m not going to bother changing it all.
Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE]

That is odd, they actually just transferred over our discount.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1069892]No they won’t. at least not if you are dealing with Disney by phone.

I would not risk losing the better discount.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, that is how we did it with the GF. I figured we would eat on our own with the 40% room discount a couple of years ago. A few days before I called and added the dining and they took care of it for us and added it to our room and our package only changed by the price of the dining. This was the same year I had called when the 40% came out and made a change then too. I made several changes on that trip and they did it for us with ease.

I haven’t tried it again, and I 100% trust you Dopey, but it did work out for us that once. Good to know, I won’t take a chance again without asking first.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1069946]That sucks, that is how we did it with the GF. I figured we would eat on our own with the 40% room discount a couple of years ago. A few days before I called and added the dining and they took care of it for us and added it to our room and our package only changed by the price of the dining. This was the same year I had called when the 40% came out and made a change then too. I made several changes on that trip and they did it for us with ease.

I haven’t tried it again, and I 100% trust you Dopey, but it did work out for us that once. Good to know, I won’t take a chance again without asking first.[/QUOTE]Was the 40% a room-only discount or had you already booked it as a package? I’ll bet a case of Mickey bars that you already had the vacation, 40% discount and all, booked as a package. THAT is why the total cost increased only by the cost of the dining plan.