ADRs made.....finally

After pouring over the menus for weeks and weeks (ok, months) our ADR day finally came…and went. I didn’t get up at the crack of dawn like I used to, but I had planned to get on line at some point that day to make our dining plans. However, my husband ended up having emergency surgery at 7:00 that night and I didn’t get to make those ADRs for a couple of weeks. It was kind of funny, when the surgeon came out to talk to me after the surgery he said Mike would be as good as new in 6 months…exactly 180 days from our trip! I thought that was kind of funny after a really long day (it started at 10 am).

So here are our plans–finally:

Hoop Dee Doo
Cape May for breakfast
House of Blues (new to us–any feedback?)
Sci Fi
Grand Floridian Cafe (also new to us)
Kona Cafe for breakfast
Komonos
’Ohana

Most of those have become regular restaurants for us but we threw in a couple of new places to keep things fresh. I’m a little worried about House of Blues just because I haven’t read many reviews.

Now I have to plan all our Fastpasses. I like to have a rough plan for our trip but I’m not thrilled about having to schedule what time going to ride certain rides two months before our trip.

Do you usually do that many TS meals? I don’t know why, but it struck me as a lot for you. Perhaps I’m just losing my mind.

We are also doing Cape May for breakfast this trip. We thought DGS might like it.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1141181]Do you usually do that many TS meals? I don’t know why, but it struck me as a lot for you. Perhaps I’m just losing my mind.

We are also doing Cape May for breakfast this trip. We thought DGS might like it.[/QUOTE]

We usually do one ADR a day with a day or so w/o one. Those ADRs are over ten days so that’s about usual for us. Our trip is actually 16 days long, we don’t have any ADRs for the first half since its just Nate and I. We’re going to do counter service and keep things cheap until Mike arrives.

First off, well wishes to Mike for a speedy recovery! And, what a way to celebrate him being good as new with a trip to Disney!

We have a House of Blues here in Chicago, and quite popular. Honestly don’t know if they are the same, but I say go for it. Try something new. One thing I’ve learned about researching restuarants, it works better for me to just try it. I must have odd tastes, because everytime I think a meal was awesome, I see everything negative. And, then we try something that everyone is going on and on about, and I end up saying “I don’t get it!” So, you are doing the right thing. Keep to the ones you know and love, and try something new here and there.

Glad you made the decision to do the extended trip. Take the opportunity while you can as coming from a Mom with two boys in college, DH and I have pretty much done trips alone, seeing their schedules are so busy with school, and then when they have time off, they are working.

I too think you have to try a restaurant for yourself. My only exception would be if every single person on her posted that a certain place was dirty or horrible or something—no positives whatsoever—then I might think twice about it. Otherwise—every one is different—different expectations—different standards—and that’s good.

Differences are what make the world go 'round!!!

Enjoy your great plans!! I am going to make my very first ADR this coming week----very nervous…lol

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1141183]First off, well wishes to Mike for a speedy recovery! And, what a way to celebrate him being good as new with a trip to Disney!

We have a House of Blues here in Chicago, and quite popular. Honestly don’t know if they are the same, but I say go for it. Try something new. One thing I’ve learned about researching restuarants, it works better for me to just try it. I must have odd tastes, because everytime I think a meal was awesome, I see everything negative. And, then we try something that everyone is going on and on about, and I end up saying “I don’t get it!” So, you are doing the right thing. Keep to the ones you know and love, and try something new here and there.

Glad you made the decision to do the extended trip. Take the opportunity while you can as coming from a Mom with two boys in college, DH and I have pretty much done trips alone, seeing their schedules are so busy with school, and then when they have time off, they are working.[/QUOTE]

I almost didn’t book the first part of the trip with Nate after Mike’s surgery because I didn’t want to spend the extra money but I finally decided to just do it, Nate will be 16 and we may never have this chance again. The medical bills (ambulance to local hospital, ER, ambulance to another hospital, another ER, surgery, and PT) will get paid but I can’t go back in time once Nate is grown up. I’m going to enjoy those few days alone.

I agree about trying a restaurant, the menu has something for each one of us so that alone makes it fine. There has only been one restaurant at WDW that I thought was so bad I won’t ever return and couldn’t eat my meal but we’ve been fine at every other place we have tried. And it’s only one meal, it’s not the end of the world if it’s not perfect.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1141184]I too think you have to try a restaurant for yourself. My only exception would be if every single person on her posted that a certain place was dirty or horrible or something—no positives whatsoever—then I might think twice about it. Otherwise—every one is different—different expectations—different standards—and that’s good.

Differences are what make the world go 'round!!!

Enjoy your great plans!! I am going to make my very first ADR this coming week----very nervous…lol[/QUOTE]

Your very first ADR?? How fun! Which restaurant gets this great honor?

Yes—well—ahead of time—we usually wait till the day of and then make a reservation somewhere—or walk in----I can’t remember a time when I made a reservation way ahead of time…Specific food isn’t really that important to us at WDW. We are lucky to have such wonderful restaurants here in the DC area, and food isn’t really an important must to us…we mostly stop to eat because we are too hungry to continue. lol

I am going to get BOG for a birthday dinner while we are there—and possibly a breakfast buffet for the same day—then we will skip lunch in between. My daughter (27) is about to bust to get in to BOG—I bet she will be too excited to eat. I have to admit I am excited too—but nervous about this new system.

I hope I get in and get that reservation—otherwise—I don’t have any other place we want to commit to 6 months ahead of time. :slight_smile:

It’s usually just the two of us going to WDW now so—it’s much easier to walk into sit downs with 2…we rarely wait longer than 15 minutes at the most…or not at all…Last visit, I used the MY Disney app (the old one) a lot to check reservations a couple of hours before dinner. It helped a lot…

Lois

[QUOTE=smallworld;1141187]Yes—well—ahead of time—we usually wait till the day of and then make a reservation somewhere—or walk in----I can’t remember a time when I made a reservation way ahead of time…Specific food isn’t really that important to us at WDW. We are lucky to have such wonderful restaurants here in the DC area, and food isn’t really an important must to us…we mostly stop to eat because we are too hungry to continue. lol

I am going to get BOG for a birthday dinner while we are there—and possibly a breakfast buffet for the same day—then we will skip lunch in between. My daughter (27) is about to bust to get in to BOG—I bet she will be too excited to eat. I have to admit I am excited too—but nervous about this new system.

I hope I get in and get that reservation—otherwise—I don’t have any other place we want to commit to 6 months ahead of time. :slight_smile:

It’s usually just the two of us going to WDW now so—it’s much easier to walk into sit downs with 2…we rarely wait longer than 15 minutes at the most…or not at all…Last visit, I used the MY Disney app (the old one) a lot to check reservations a couple of hours before dinner. It helped a lot…

Lois[/QUOTE]

Good luck, I hope you get that first ADR. We have friends who say getting a walk up or last minute ADR for two is easy. We’ve not tried it with three but I bet it’s a little harder since we need a four top.

…I think that’s probably it Stephanie----three would need a 4 table…2 is easy to squeeze in…we are just lucky…but…now with this new system, we will see if we are able to walk in to sit downs as easily. We may find this next trip that we have to eat at more QS restaurants for dinner…or reverse and do sit down for lunch and QS for dinner!! :slight_smile:

I think you’ll be fine, you know the ins and outs of WDW and can work with whatever you have to. I’m leaning toward making a couple of ADRs for the first part of the trip but we’ll stick to less expensive places for a sandwich or burger. It will be more for the break than the food. QS places are fine but in July they can be so busy that it takes the break feeling out of the meal. Just getting a table can be a chore sometimes.

I’m thinking about The Plaza Restaurant. It’s not much more than QS and we will have a TiW card so the tip is a non-factor with the 20% discount. I may find one more similar restaurant for just the two of us. Nate just doesn’t care about food enough for us to spend money on too many nice meals for just the two of us. He has really come a long way but he still likes to stick to the basics and just isn’t impressed with a nice restaurant.

We have some friends who are may be there at the same time so that may change our plans a little. However, I still want the focus of this trip to be a mom/son trip. I hope I can find a nice balance that makes everyone happy.

Just saying, we did BOG for dh birthday a couples of weeks ago. Said it was the best meal he has had in his life. I had to agree with him!

We have eaten a couple of times at The Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast and have enjoyed it. We eat there when we have stayed there and are checking out. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. Food was good,hot. Staff was pleasant and prompt.

That’s all we’re looking for-- good, hot food and pleasant staff. We wanted something new but not too fancy, some place we could go and then pop over to a park.

I might have to think about that one. It hasn’t been on our radar because of how crazy popular it is right now.

Since you are BCVs, have you ever tried Captain’s Grille for breakfast? We really like the buffet they have. If not, perhaps next trip you might think about it.

Only for dinner once a long time ago. I’ve thought about breakfast every trip but we’ve never done. Maybe this trip we will do it if we can get a walk up. Once Nate is no longer with us I’m very sure we’ll be changing a lot about our trips and our Cape May ADR will be Captain’s Grille. He really doesn’t care about the characters now but I do and I want the pictures.

ooooo I(we) still and always have loved the characters…I could show pictures of my daughter when she was a teen waiting in long lines to get a picture with the princesses…it’s not crucial for us to have a character meal, but if it works out, we are happy. :slight_smile:

Nate may come back around to it later----I think the girls hang in there longer with their princesses…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1141203]ooooo I(we) still and always have loved the characters…I could show pictures of my daughter when she was a teen waiting in long lines to get a picture with the princesses…it’s not crucial for us to have a character meal, but if it works out, we are happy. :slight_smile:

Nate may come back around to it later----I think the girls hang in there longer with their princesses…[/QUOTE]

I think you’re right about the girls hanging in longer than boys. I think some boys secretly want to hang in longer but it’s not seen the same as girls. I’m lucky in that he wouldn’t ask for a character meal but he’s a good sport about it and seems to enjoy it. I think he’s ok with it because he can tell himself I made him do it. I really think he doesn’t know it’s an option to NOT have a character meal. I’m not sure we’ve taken a trip and not done a character meal. We don’t do the characters in the parks but we hit one breakfast each trip and always enjoy it.

I have to say that on our big family trip, we did a character breakfast (Tusker House) for the “little kids” and the big kids (15 and 13) ended up liking it almost as much as the little ones. Daisy took quite a liking to my 15 year old godson and Goofy wanted to run off my with 13 year old goddaughter. They were not thrilled about going at the start but that is one of our best memories of the trip and where we got some of our best pictures. Disney magic at work! We are going again in June and I thought we might skip the character meal this time but the “big kids” were not having it!