Advice for doing WDW solo?

My family and I will be in WDW the third week of November.* My wife and two young daughters will be traveling with my mother-in-law and her long time “husfriend.”* They will be driving the van and breaking the trip into two days.* I decided to fly because, if I went with them, we would need two vehicles.* I decided to burn some AmEx points and fly to WDW for free.
Since they are taking two days to drive, I figured I didn’t want to sit around the house the first day they left to go to WDW and then also wait for them to get back on the second day of their drive.* So, I extended our vacation two days, one day at the beginning and one day at the end. I will fly out the morning they hit the road, and fly back the evening they get home.*
Now that you know the background, here are the questions…

1. What would you do if you were solo at WDW?
  1. What places would be the best at which to eat when alone?

Hmmm ignore the “*”. I posted from my iPhone and those appeared.

oooh dying to know the answers to this as i am contemplating a one day/ four park solo adventure…

how cool that you get to do that! i would hit all the attractions that you think you would want to do and that nobody else in your group may like. or do the attractions that you absolutely LOVE! as far as eating, i’m kinda shy in real life so i would probably just do counter service and sit in a corner . but there are places that you could probably sit at the bar. mostly resorts. it really depends on where you wanna go! have a ton of fun!!!

I was able to spend a few days in WDW solo a couple years ago. I think your experience greatly depends on your personality and outlook on the whole thing. Some people would be miserable alone but I felt completely opposite, I thought it was heaven. haha.

My suggestion honestly, do whatever you want. :laugh: How often are you going to have the experience of being 100% clear of family obligation when traveling? If you like to shop do DtD and the World Showcase, if you never get to see “the boring stuff” because your kids dislike the movies in EPCOT or other non-thrill options than do that, if you always wanted to do a tour like the “Segway Tour” or 'Behind the Seeds" than it’s probably a good day to do that, if you like photography & your family isn’t usually patient with your camera take time to photograph things.

As far as dining goes I really had no issues at all. I chose to eat at Trail’s End in Fort Wilderness. It’s a rustic buffet and is usually pretty slow and quiet, I never felt weird there. If you are more uncomfortable about it than eat counter service.

You’ll have fun, enjoy!

Where are you staying BTW?

[QUOTE=Bigjon010;997438]Now that you know the background, here are the questions…

1. What would you do if you were solo at WDW?[/quote]

Anything and everything I wanted to do and never got a chance to do because other people weren’t interested.

1. What places would be the best at which to eat when alone?

Eat? I wouldn’t even care about that. Grab a sandiwch or whatever your heart desires…have ice cream for dinner. there won’t be any witnesses.:laugh:

Pop Century.

We had reservations at the POFQ, but the creature known as Negatorus Partypoopus, AKA Mother In Law, poo poo it saying they were too expensive for her and the husfriend to afford.

Last stay was at AS Music… not making that mistake again.

Forgot to add that we are on the dining plan.

You will have fun. Do anything that you want… I would spend the day wherever you think that they will not. Animal lover? go to AK, go to epcot to sample drinks… whatever floats your boat.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

[QUOTE=Bigjon010;997478]Pop Century.

We had reservations at the POFQ, but the creature known as Negatorus Partypoopus, AKA Mother In Law, poo poo it saying they were too expensive for her and the husfriend to afford.

Last stay was at AS Music… not making that mistake again.

Forgot to add that we are on the dining plan.[/QUOTE]

Negatorus Partypoopus and her husfriend should stay at POP and you should suprise your family with POFQ.:laugh: By the way you refer to her, you may need the day before to prep yourself for hanging out with her as much as you will need the day after they leave to “wind down” from her. Drink heavily!

[QUOTE=Bigjon010;997478]Pop Century.

Negatorus Partypoopus, AKA Mother In Law, .[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
sorry that is hysterical!!!

I would insist we went as just our family. The motivation to have the in-laws is because our oldest daughter will have her 4th birthday 4 days before we get there, and our youngest will be 3 months. Having them there will be a great help. She isn’t bad at all really. She is just seems to see the negative side of things a lot and tries to shoot things down for the slightest reasons sometimes. Plus, she is a fantastic Grandma.

ok then…take it back. I got the wrong impression. Have fun!

grandparents are VERY handy when spending extended times at disney. i actually LIKE staying at the louder resorts now because i don’t feel so guilty when my kids wake up screaming at 3am!

they did that a couple nights at the CBR and i felt like i was disturbing everybody

I agree with Wishy with the EPCOT idea, you can wonder around the worlds have some beer and we really like the Fish and Chip QS in the UK and it had a cute little patio that overlooked the lake!

I used to go to WDW all the time alone, and have a few times since I got married. The nice thing about going alone is you don’t reach a consensus with others and it is easier to be flexible and change things on the fly.

Definitely do things that you like and the others might not.

For food:

Flying Fish has a counter that overlooks the cooking area. It is interesting watching the cooking action. I have never had issue in just walking in shortly after opening and getting a seat there with an ADR

At the Tune In lounge you can eat at the bar of the menu of the Prime Time Cafe

Having said that I have at many restaurants alone with no issue. Places like California Grill, Brown Derby, Kona Cafe etc.

We have had 2 trips now where Sharon and or I have been there for a few days by ourselves, before catching up with each other. We always have a blast when alone (not that we don’t together). Do the things that you want to, that maybe others in your group would not want to do. Sharon heads for MK, and I have gone to EPCOT. As far as where to eat, anywhere and everywhere. Don’t feel uncomfortable in sitting down by yourself. I do like Dana’s advice about the ice cream with no witnesses though.

I think I love you

I would go to places like the Rose and Crown and enjoy the adult time. You will meet people w/whom you can converse.

Solo is great. You get to do what YOU want to do, when YOU want to do it. Single rider line at Everest. Get the LARGE beer at Octoberfest without that evil eye. Take a nap. Ride ISSW. (Just kidding - NOBODY would do THAT!) Go ahead and watch that hot chick walk without fear of getting wacked upside the head by DW. Have desert with EVERY meal. Wear speedos to the pool. (BossMouse excluded of course.)

Of course, these are just things I could think of that you could do. I spend my solo time helping little old ladies cross the street and such. :angel: :whistling

HAVE FUN!