Airfare Pattern

Looking for some input from everyone, if they ever notice a pattern of pricing with the airlines. Southwest will be extending their flight dates next week, which is the window I have been waiting for. So, has anyone ever noticed if the airfare is lower on the day new dates are released? Or, do they inflate them the first couple of days seeing people like myself have been waiting a while and want to book our flights immediately.

After looking at flights for the last 3 months - I found there is no pattern AT ALL!!! It’s so random, the prices actually can fluctuate during the day. I was checking the airfare all day long b/f I booked!!! I think that prices are a little higher when they come out, can possibly go down a little and then go up (and stay up) as the date gets closer. Also noticed that the DINGS aren’t good at all anymore. In the 3 months I was watching there wasn’t 1 DING from my airport to Orlando.

Yes, I gave up on the Dings also. Never had one for Florida.

I have gotten some of the best deals the day they are released and never saw that price again. $59 last year when we were booking for December 2009. Now with that said…I tried it again for our next trip and the prices were very high on the release day and have pretty much stayed that high. I too am hoping that next week I can get an awesome deal on the flights for our March trip.

SO I guess that answer to the question is there is NO METHOD TO THEIR MADNESS:angry::crying::blink:

It has been YEARS since I got a good Ding for Florida.

Now if I can just get a good deal on a rental car…They are still $300-$400. I will walk before I pay that much:laugh::huh:

“They” say that prices are typically lowest on Wednesdays. Weekends are the worst. Your mileage will definitely vary though.

I don’t know anything about Southwest in particular.

I have found with SW that the day they open the schedule the fares were the lowest. The last two flights I booked were booked on the day the schedule opened. I have continued to check the flights for the last few months and I have never found it even close to the price I paid.

Book it early and keep checking the fares. If they drop the price, re-book at the lower fare. The extra money paid will be kept as a credit that you can use within the next year. There are no fees to change a flight.

[QUOTE=simplytall;1050772]I have found with SW that the day they open the schedule the fares were the lowest. The last two flights I booked were booked on the day the schedule opened. I have continued to check the flights for the last few months and I have never found it even close to the price I paid.

Book it early and keep checking the fares. If they drop the price, re-book at the lower fare. The extra money paid will be kept as a credit that you can use within the next year. There are no fees to change a flight.[/QUOTE]

That’s what we do too! I’ve been watching our Denver flight since June and it has fluctuated SO much. We got it at the rock bottom price ($89) and it’s gone as high as $171 and back down again to $141 at the moment. Our return flight has only fluctuated $8 or $9. However, my Mom book her Chicago flight 1st day they posted her dates and it lowered in cost 3 days later…so now she has a $30 credit to use by next June. (Some flights are refundable, so you get your credit back immediately, but we usually book the Want to Get Away deals and that’s where they’ll only give you a credit for a price difference) I just don’t know what drives the fluctuations!