Airline Baggage Fees

I was wondering how everyone is handling all the airline baggage fees? Are you:

Carrying on a ton of small suitcases to avoid the fees?
Loading up one or two big suitcases and paying the fees for those?
Traveling just like you used to do and paying all the fees?
Traveling naked?

Looking for some ideas for upcoming flights on Delta and Continental.

I wear 7 layers of clothing. Then strip down once I’m in the resort.

Now that is thinking! The airlines have not found the fee for that yet!

Yes they have, they are charging for large people.

Delta has the 50 pound limit. I once tried to pack my husbands things with mine on a flight. Our luggage was 55 pounds-for 2 people. Still got charge-even though there was less luggage. On the way home- we stuffed things into the carryon so it wold not weight too much… ridiculous by the way!

The airline that we use currently doesn’t charge for baggage fees, but a couple times we’ve flown with different airlines that did charge and we just paid the fee.

When the airlines charge for checked bags, it makes loading the plane such a hassle. We were delayed both times because people try to bring on so many bags that it delayed boarding because the airline staff were trying to find room for all the bags. Once there wasn’t any more room for carry-on luggage so the last bunch of people had to check their carry-ons.

I know some of the airlines are starting to charge for carry-ons now to discourage people from bringing everything on the plane.
I figure it’s worth the extra bit of money to not have to lug around my suitcases, in the grand scheme of the cost of a vacation, what’s another $40? I would just figure it into part of the cost of flying.

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1070793]The airline that we use currently doesn’t charge for baggage fees, but a couple times we’ve flown with different airlines that did charge and we just paid the fee.

When the airlines charge for checked bags, it makes loading the plane such a hassle. We were delayed both times because people try to bring on so many bags that it delayed boarding because the airline staff were trying to find room for all the bags. Once there wasn’t any more room for carry-on luggage so the last bunch of people had to check their carry-ons.

I know some of the airlines are starting to charge for carry-ons now to discourage people from bringing everything on the plane.
I figure it’s worth the extra bit of money to not have to lug around my suitcases, in the grand scheme of the cost of a vacation, what’s another $40? I would just figure it into part of the cost of flying.[/QUOTE]

As much as it ticks me off to spend the money, I sort of agree with you. I am on vacation and it costs $4K. What is another $100?

I just noticed that we have the same countdown…have a great trip!!:happy:

Oustanding, I will send you a PM.

Our luggage restrictions with Virgin Atlantic have reduced considerably. A couple of years ago it was two cases each weighing 32kgs (70lbs) and a cabin bag weighing 6kgs (12lbs)
Now, it is onecase at 23kgs (50lbs) and one cabin bag 6KGS (12lbs)
Considering no liquids can be put in the carry ons the cases soon weigh heavy and also as we come to America for a month it is difficult to pack for that long stay with just a 50lb limit.
Last trip, because we buy so much in the USA we bought two extra cases from TJ Maxx and paid $120.00 to Virgin Atlantic for having extra baggage- you can have as many extra bags as you like but they are charged at $60.00 each bag.
V.A say it an environmental issue, when we all know its just another way of levying extra charges on the passenger. If I am paying almost $1000.00 to fly to the USA for 4 weeks then I expect to be allowed to take the appropriate luggage allowance:angry:

I never ever check bags and just have one carry-on bag with me that has my clothes in it. Having a place in Florida now really simplifies things in that I keep tolietries, etc. here so I don’t have to worry about those now but even before then it was still 1 bag.

Oh I am so envious of that. When we flew Orlando to Las Vegas we just did carry on and the difference it made just to hop on and straight off the flight- brilliant.

Go for southwest airlines there is no baggage fees. In fact we usually just take a suit case for the both my DW and I and then another suit case for misc. With southwest we each get 2 checked bags free so we are bring a fourth bag.

We also fly Southwest. It avoids the whole problem :blush:.

That’s pretty much how we feel, also. All 5 of us take a carry-on, but then we still end up with 3-4 checked bags. I got a decent price on the flights, so I just figure that’s part of the cost of the vacation. When we’re spending thousands, the extra $100-200 isn’t going to kill us. DH would rather pay the $25 than lug another carry-on. It’s hard enough dragging the 3 kids through the airport!:laugh:

I wish Southwest was an option but we live in the NYC area and they avoid those airports.

Jetblue is the best option and we love them but sometimes they are way too expensive.

Last year on family vacation, everyone took their own carry-on bag and we checked one big suitcase with all the things that had to go in there plus the overflow items. I just can’t travel with out some of my own things: hairspray, hair products, toiletries…etc. It worked out well.

wierd - we are SW fans but they have crumby travel times for our trip. Air tran was the better deal even w/ the bag fee.

BUT

If the merger goes through, will Air Tran drop the bag fee?

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1070928]wierd - we are SW fans but they have crumby travel times for our trip. Air tran was the bette rdeat even w/ the bag fee.

BUT

If the merger goes through, will Air TRan drop the bag fee?[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering the same thing. We always fly AirTran because it’s convenient for us and the cheapest option around here. I was hoping when the merger went through, Southwest would keep AirTran around, but change it to Southwest so there were no bag fees. Here’s to hoping…

I hate bag fees, but always just deal with it when the time comes. We pack light when possible, but always end up checking at least one bag. I can’t stand the amount of stuff people bring on planes now that it costs to check bags. It takes forever to get on and off flights and those stupid bags fill up the compartments before I can put my measly little bag up there! :mad: I have to say we flew Southwest a couple of months ago for the first time and what a difference it was! No bag fees meant no huge bags being drug onto the flight as carry on. It was great!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1070793]The airline that we use currently doesn’t charge for baggage fees, but a couple times we’ve flown with different airlines that did charge and we just paid the fee.

I figure it’s worth the extra bit of money to not have to lug around my suitcases, in the grand scheme of the cost of a vacation, what’s another $40? I would just figure it into part of the cost of flying.[/QUOTE]

please don’t take this the wrong way,but they pray for someone like you ,that oh well attitude empowers them to just thinking up more ways to charge more ,pillows,blankets,food,phone calls,printing tickets etc…don’t go easy at least have some fun picking on them…the easy it gets for them,the easier it will be down the road to add more fees…