Airline checked bag question

Hello all! I have a few questions about checking my bags with airlines and also about carryons.
I really want to just only use carry ons for my trip. I figure we each get 1 to carry on. I thought about using one for clothes and 1 for water, juice, snacks. So would I be allowed to use 1 for that or not with the liquid rule/law? If not I don’t mind checking that and still have 2 carryons. Also what is the rule for makeup in a carryon? I don’t want to check my makeup just in case if something happens to it. I didn’t know if the consider foundation and mascara liquid.
Thanks in advance!

You are still limited to what each person can fit in a one quart bag. Any thing that isn’t a solid has to go in the bag (3 oz bottles or less). I’m sure there’s a full list on the TSA website.

PS–Aren’t you taking a 10 day trip? There’s NO way I could pack in one carry on for a trip that long. Good for you for being a light packer, I can barely get a weekend packed in a carry on.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;949537]You are still limited to what each person can fit in a one quart bag. Any thing that isn’t a solid has to go in the bag (3 oz bottles or less). I’m sure there’s a full list on the TSA website.

PS–Aren’t you taking a 10 day trip? There’s NO way I could pack in one carry on for a trip that long. Good for you for being a light packer.[/QUOTE]
:laugh: well I was thinking I would try. I probally could do it. I would lay my stuff out and poss roll Madisons stuff. She is 45lbs soaking wet :laugh: I hate hate hate carting around a ton of stuff. If it was up to me I would buy clothes and things when we got there. I actually always leave/throw away tooth paste shampoo and everything else that was travel size. But now I guess I will be checking 1 suitcase with waters and snacks and each of us have a carryon. And then when the snack case is empy I will put my carryon into the other and we will be back to only 2 suitcases :laugh:

Nothing liquid, over 3 oz, is allowed past security. You won’t be allowed to pack a suitcase with water for a carryon. I’m not sure about the foundation, you might want to check the airport website.

Don’t do what I did on our December trip, we got to the hotel and started to unpack and I couldn’t find my makeup brushes ANYWHERE (I wear Bare Escentuals makeup - it’s all powder - I needed my brushes)…Did I forget to pack them!!! :ohmy::blink::huh::crying: I checked everywhere and with everyone; there is nowhere in Disney that sells makeup brushes. So I went a week without and survived. I did have my mascara which was good, so I didn’t look too plain. When we got home, after a week vacation, there was my pouch of brushes lying in the middle of my bed.:laugh:

Sorry to get off track, just though I’d share that horrifying story with you. As far as mascara goes, I always put mine in the quart size bag and never had a problem getting it through security.

I probally flying airtran so im scared they may delay the bags so im going to fill up 2 zip lock bags 1 for me and the other for me but my DD can put it in her case. im going to check the water and snacks.i have to see if they charge for a check bag.

AirTran charges $15 for the first piece of checked luggage. $25 and up for more pieces. We used to take our own water (hate Floridas water), but no more.

Be careful packing water and juices and things. The bags get very heavy very quickly. Bags that weigh over 50 pounds incur another charge, and it gets very costly (found out the hard way). It would probably be less expensive to do a grocery stop and buy the water and juices off property before you get there.

Remember even if you check water and juices the airline have the right to open an luggage even checked and remove anything not approved. If they opened your bags then there will be a little notice inside your bags. It has happened to me before.

Most makeup is under 3 oz.I have never had a problem with my makeup.I put my things in a clear quart size ziplock bag.As for drinks and snacks it maybe cheaper and easier to use Garden Grocer or similar company.

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;949536]Hello all! I have a few questions about checking my bags with airlines and also about carryons.
I really want to just only use carry ons for my trip. I figure we each get 1 to carry on. I thought about using one for clothes and 1 for water, juice, snacks. So would I be allowed to use 1 for that or not with the liquid rule/law? If not I don’t mind checking that and still have 2 carryons. Also what is the rule for makeup in a carryon? I don’t want to check my makeup just in case if something happens to it. I didn’t know if the consider foundation and mascara liquid.
Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
They don’t allow you to bring bottled water beyond the security checks, they will not let you shlepp a carry-on with that in it. You could check that one bag if you wanted to.
Why, if it’s just the two of you would you want to bring that anyway?

[QUOTE=Dopey;949673]They don’t allow you to bring bottled water beyond the security checks, they will not let you shlepp a carry-on with that in it. You could check that one bag if you wanted to.
Why, if it’s just the two of you would you want to bring that anyway?[/QUOTE]
I like to have water in the morn and FL sucks. Also i hate the bottled water they sell. Whats it called? dasani? it taste like dirt.id rather drink pool water:laugh: i would rather have spring water. Madison likes to have poptarts and whatnot for breakfast.

Hey Tink!!

Everyone is right about the liquids, 3 oz, quart bag etc… I travel 180 nights a year and have a suggestion:

You can buy your liquids (sodas and such) after going through security and carry them on no problem. If you have enough people to carry on small enough bags for your everything you are taking with you, I say - do it!!

If not, Airtran will charge you $15 per person for the first checked bag. Also, your 1 carry-on does not include a purse or brief case which you can also carry-on with an appropriate sized piece of luggage.

A

When we went in Feb. 07 my Sister Inlaw packed water in her suit case. Then her case was over the weight limit HAHAHAHA. So she had to pay an extra $25 fee HAHAHAHAHA. After we got to Disney we figured she could have bought as much water their as for what her extra fee was and she did not even use all the water she hauled down there.

Tink,
If you are still going for10 days as I previously saw just go to the supermarket on 535 (go past the DTD hotels to the end, turn left, supermarket on right) or Super Walmart. Both are a short cab away. We drive and I could not imagine trying to carry everything we need for or typical 9-10 day trip to the airport and then again to WDW. Save the hassle and buy it there. Your back will THANK you.

I am like the self-proclaimed queen of carryon only. You CAN do it for a ten day trip but,for me, that includes throwing a load in the laundry while enjoying the pool on day 5. I would never bother with more snacks than fit in my carryon though. You can get poptarts, snacks, & juice at all the dvc resort stores, do a grocery delivery, or make a grocery stop.

Thanks wish but I sold the DVC~I have no prob doing wash but I dont want to spend $100 just for the stuff to dry:laugh:Perhaps I will just get delivery.

There are exceptions to the liquids rule (and anything semi-solid or semi-liquid seems to be a liquid). It’s really easy to go the TSA website and find exactly what you can do (it changes). Also, you can check your airline’s website for their carry-on sizes and number, size, and weight limits for checked bags (and the charges for checking them). Every airline has that. Good luck on packing!

Honestly, if you need to pay a baggage fee for a suitcase with food and drinks why not spend the same amount of money and have all of it delivered to your resort by We Go Shop or Garden Grocer? That would be so much easier than hauling food and water through an airport. We did that last summer and plan to do it again.

Why not save yourself the headache and trouble and have the water and snacks shipped to the resort and have it waiting for you when you get there? you could also ship the travel sized stuff that you intend to throw away too. You are going to pay for checked luggage anyway, so you mine as well ship it down there and pay the costs for that. Just have it shipped to yourself in care of the resort and have your check in dates and CLEARLY marked on the package…ship it about a week and a half before you go. Pack your clohtes in a carry on. Take basics pants/shorts that can be worn multiple times with different T-shirts and only pack for 5 days…do laundry half way through on a break day. You make up can go in your checked luggage…I just did this twice on two different flights. you are allowed one carry-on and one personal item…that’s two bags per person.

Awesome idea! Problem solved! Thanks Dana