Airline Fees

…Just found out that we may have to change our WDW trip dates…so I checked with USAir just to see what’s involved to change a ticket…

…$150/ ticket to change to a different flight!!! 150…I almost keeled over! I was thinking $50 perhaps but gee whiz… The tickets only cost $215 each!!!

I understand they need to charge something so that people don’t keep buying and changing…but am I the only one that thinks that’s obsessive? Surely a percentage of price paid would be fair…but then again…airline travel isn’t very “fair” anymore is it? :frown:

Sigh… Done ranting…can’t do anything about it…we will see if things work so that we need to change…

The change fee is just ridiculous. It’s been that high for a very long time…even before they starting killing you on every possible fee they could. I will not fly again. No matter which way I do it, driving is cheaper for two people…insane, right?

I hate taking the extra time to drive down and back—plus at $215 one way—it would cost me more in my car. But if flying gets more expensive—we all will be back on the roads!!

I read somewhere that Congress was going to look into excessive fees that airlines charge–however—the lobbyists will get to them first I am sure.

First time we’ve flown the entire family since our youngest was a baby. Between TSA and airline treatment, I wonder why anyone flies for anything other than business.

—I just noticed I’m a Big Cheese now—when did that happen? :laugh:

91 posts ago! Congrats!

Good Lord I am slow!!! :laugh: What a doofus I am.

I need a vacation!!!

[QUOTE=smallworld;1114785]Good Lord I am slow!!! :laugh: What a doofus I am.

I need a vacation!!![/QUOTE]

sounds like a perfect excuse to go investigate the WL rooms:tongue:

I like the way you think!

[QUOTE=smallworld;1114756]…Just found out that we may have to change our WDW trip dates…so I checked with USAir just to see what’s involved to change a ticket…

…$150/ ticket to change to a different flight!!! 150…I almost keeled over! I was thinking $50 perhaps but gee whiz… The tickets only cost $215 each!!!

I understand they need to charge something so that people don’t keep buying and changing…but am I the only one that thinks that’s obsessive? Surely a percentage of price paid would be fair…but then again…airline travel isn’t very “fair” anymore is it? :frown:

Sigh… Done ranting…can’t do anything about it…we will see if things work so that we need to change…[/QUOTE]

That stinks. I knew it was high but that’s almost as much as you paid for the flights. I hope you can keep your trip as scheduled so you don’t have to pay the change fee.

Thanks—but this is really a mixed “blessing” sort of thing—My DD is a teacher and has applied for an opening in a different county here. If she gets the position—and I really hope she does–its a great position—she will have to have “new teacher orientation” the week we had planned to go to WDW in August. I really really want her to get this job—but if she does, we will have to change to the week before the one we planned. She is not going to say anything during her interview next week, but if she gets the job, she says she will ask if she can take the orientation earlier in the summer. Certainly there are other teachers who can not make that specific time period?

We will see in a couple of weeks. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1114818]Thanks—but this is really a mixed “blessing” sort of thing—My DD is a teacher and has applied for an opening in a different county here. If she gets the position—and I really hope she does–its a great position—she will have to have “new teacher orientation” the week we had planned to go to WDW in August. I really really want her to get this job—but if she does, we will have to change to the week before the one we planned. She is not going to say anything during her interview next week, but if she gets the job, she says she will ask if she can take the orientation earlier in the summer. Certainly there are other teachers who can not make that specific time period?

We will see in a couple of weeks. :)[/QUOTE]

That’s a great reason for having to change a trip, I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Sending Pixie Dust that your daughter gets the job.

Thank you all so much…This job is exactly why she got her masters—where she is teaching right now is just not completely what she wants to do—but she is young so if it’s not to be—she will keep looking out—and we will go on to Disney! :mickey:

I’ve been looking at flights for our trip and none of them get us there early in the day and the flights that get us there early-ish are the more expensive. I have now elected to rent a car and drive half way in the evening before and rent a cheap comfort inn or similar room and wake up early and finish the trip in the am. This gets us there early and it actually will save us a few hundred. Turn the car in at Orlando and fly back home. It’s a savings and we get the full day. I’m hoping it works out this way.

You know what we should do? We should start several blogs or fb pages or whatever else it takes for the masses to come together and protest these outlandish charges.
Dammit, charge everyone across the board the same price for tickets across the continental US and call it good.

I am gong to start something :angry:

Well, I never thought I would drive, but it’s going to work out. Get off work, get the girls out of school, pick up the rental, pack the bags and out the door. Probably hit somewhere around panama type area and crash for the night. Up around 4 or 5 and in WDW for 11ish. I’ll save a few hundred dollars and we get there 4 hours earlier.(even better bc I will drop the car off at the car care center at WDW) that way, no travel time from the airport. I’m kinda glad the airlines have pushed me this route. Hopefully the girls sleep a lot on the ride cause I like to drive, I just don’t like a lot of jibber jabber while driving.

That sounds like a good plan…if I lived closer I might consider driving…