Airline travel then and now

We often chat about airlines and cost of flying…the hassle…the food etc. this is a short article comparing flying 50 years ago with today…not real shocking info…but I was surprised at the cost comparison…:smile:

Flying Today vs. 50 Years Ago

The first time we flew to England we dined off Royal Doulton China and had real silverwear. We had late afternoon Tea, (scones and clotted cream) Dinner and Breakfast. We had fluffy pillows and blankets AND slippers. They offered warm, damp towels before every meal and warm, damp hand towels after every meal. They offered hard candies - served on a silver tray - for take-off and landing. The STEWARDESSES actually SMILED - and they were happy to fill up my dh’s hot water bottle for his bad back. Not a problem at all! And all that was in economy! I really miss the old days.:crying:

…oh…that sounds wonderful…

I remember my first flight…I was in my early 20’s …and we were flying from Washington Dulles to San Juan Puerto Rico. We flew early morning on American Airlines in coach…and we were served steak and eggs on china plates…it was a good experience. I wonder what first class was served!! :slight_smile:

I remember about 30 yrs ago the cost of flying from phila to Milwaukee to springdale ark, for 4 was around 2 grand. We had to split the cost over two credit cards cause we didn’t have enough of a credit line.

I have a streak of formality in me… I just love the idea of dressing as if a trip matters, I’ve got nostalgia for something that probably never existed, something with grace and class and manners.

On the other hand. Cheaper = good! :laugh:

The first time I remember flying was in 79 on Eastern Airlines. I remember breakfast being served as it was the first time I had a crepe. Now we are lucky to get a couple of cookies.

We always get envious looks because we grab a subway meal before boarding…then get the soda from the cart to go with it. One time I had a man who was angry because he thought United had given us the subs and he didnt get one!!!

Ah, the good old days. I remember that we dressed nicely for our first trip to Europe(arrived in Frankfurt). Mom took my sis and I shopping for our “travel outfits”. I loved mine, it was a plaid gouchos set with the matching vest and white shirt. I wore the heck out of that thing! That was the only time that I remember dressing for a flight. After that, it was usually jeans. Blah… However, if I was traveling for business(travel industry) we always dressed up. We joked that you could always tell which passengers were either business people or travel agents. We were the only ones dressed nicely. Now that the airlines no longer like agents, we get to dress as comfortably as we like. That being said, I can’t bring myself to wear sweats or yoga pants.

I have always flown under three hours, so there was never a meal served, but there was always snacks, drinks etc. I just flew Spirit last week and you have to pay for water - no joke.

:ohmy: you have to pay for water now??? Wow… I don’t understand why they can’t just add $5 to every ticket and be done with the soda and snack charges…

One of the first times I flew in the USA with Continental I was wearing a navy blue trouser suit. Losing DH and DD as people scrambled to get off first, I waited by the door area, most of the passengers thanked me for the flight service as they disembarked…

My parents tell me all the time about flying to Hawaii on United. They got 2 full meals, free soda when asked, seats were twice the size, smoking in sections ( would hate that) and a movie. One flight they got free drinks the whole flight. They stayed at the Sheraton on Waikiki for a week at 900 dollars total and that included airfare. There was cheaper deals but they always stayed at the Sheraton. Of course this was 1976 and candy bars were only a nickel.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :huh: :happy:

On principle alone, I absolutely refuse to ever buy anything on a plane. I’d rather STARVE than buy one of their stale sandwiches. Fortunately, I don’t think there’s much chance of starving in a 3 hour flight. But if there was - I still wouldn’t buy their crummy sandwiches.

I agree. I have to tell you if given the choice to pay an extra $5 to get the drinks etc, I would forgo it. If you can’t go a mere 2.5 hours without a snack, there a problem. You are allowed to bring the over-priced food/drink you buy in the terminal on the plane.:laugh:

I always stick granola or nutri grain bars in my carryon and buy a bottle of water before boarding… If its going to be mealtime-as was our flight last summer to Orlando, we buy a subway sandwich… On longer flights ie cross country or to Europe, I do like a cup of coffee to wake me up when we are near…

For me it all depends on the timing…getting to the airport at least 2 hours ahead of flights around lunch or dinner would not be good for me without something to eat at some point in time. Especialy with the long security lines…Plus…I need to have something to eat when I take my Dramamine… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1134075]I always stick granola or nutri grain bars in my carryon and buy a bottle of water before boarding… If its going to be mealtime-as was our flight last summer to Orlando, we buy a subway sandwich… On longer flights ie cross country or to Europe, I do like a cup of coffee to wake me up when we are near…

For me it all depends on the timing…getting to the airport at least 2 hours ahead of flights around lunch or dinner would not be good for me without something to eat at some point in time. Especialy with the long security lines…Plus…I need to have something to eat when I take my Dramamine… :)[/QUOTE]

We can’t get food or drink through security. They throw it out forcing you to wait, buy over-priced airport food or over-priced airline food.

We can’t take drinks, but I’ve never had a problem taking stuff like cheese and crackers or a chocolate bar through.

Last week (was it ONLY last week:crying::crying:) we took peanut butter on a bagel thru and no issues.

Did you hold out a tip jar??? Might have paid for your trip.