Airtran, who has flown on them?

So we know about southwest taking over airtran, how do they differ from Southwest? We just booked a flight with them. They still had free bags and the price was $99 from Phila. I know they assign a seat at checkin. I’m just hoping when we check in we get two seats together, don’t really care where. Do they have other fees like a charge for air to breath or seatbelts?

We only booked the one way, still hoping coming home flight prices get better.

We have flown Air Tran, but not since the merger. I do not recall any issues with them. The planes seemed a bit worse for wear.

Stayed at Grand Floridian 5/31- 6/3. We flew Southwest to Orlando and Airtran back. Didn’t check any bags since it was just a long weekend W/O kids. We were able to check in with the airline at the hotel just before boarding M.E., so we got seats together. DEFINITELY see a difference in customer relations between the two airlines. Airtran flt. attendants were downright nasty to my wife when she had her carryon, a small Disney merchandise bag, and her purse getting on the plane. I’ve seen people getting on returning flts with extra items plenty of times. I wonder how the two cultures will merge.

ouch, doesn’t make me feel good.

We had an issue with SW coming home and they were great with customer service. We got home late at night. I didn’t open our suitcases until the next afternoon. One was fine. The other, everything was wet. Not just damp, like it could use a couple more mins in the dryer, more like fresh from the washer wet. We had a couple of magazines, disney maps, that sort of stuff that was trashed. I called up southwest and they asked some info, and I ended up getting a travel voucher. Of course I would have been much more unhappy if this had happened on the way TO disney. But I think SW did ok.

We’ve always flown AirTran and never had a problem, haven’t flown since the merger so I’m not sure about the bags, etc. I always pay the extra $ so we get seats together and close to the front.

I booked thru SW ,so there isn’t a charge for a seat but you can’t get a seat assignment until 24 hrs ahead of time. It’s just my DH and I, so I would like to sit together, but it’s not like I have a 4 yr old with me. Also no baggage fees for 2 bags. I was able to use credit from a SW flight to book the airtran flight.

I know people tend to complain more than praise, but reading reviews, hardly anybody likes them.

I was hoping the SW customer service would make it’s way into airtran planes.

Have to be honest here and say I could care less - for $99 flight and free bags, they can not talk or serve me at all. It’s a 2.5 hour flight and I don’t care. With their poor service will come no loyalty to their brand - their loss. I go with who ever is the cheapest. If it were a longer flight, I may care.

And why don’t I ever come across the $99 deals?! :crying:

I would have to agree, for that price I don’t care about much other than transportation to my destination. We paid a lot more than usual on SWA this year so I may have to start looking around next time.

Have flown airtran 4 times and never had a problem. I have seen these carry on bags that I could fit into with room. Some people get up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes, but they should not take it out on you. $ 99 flights sound good.

I don’t care so much about getting a bag of pretzels, but more concern with flight delays and overbooking.

Yes, I never understood the bag rules, we carry stuff that fit under the seat. I’ve seen bags that I never thought would fit in an overhead bin.

You all have made me feel better about our purchase.

I checked SW, Spirit and my arch enemy Us Airways…SW was the highest. They are currently having a “sale” and they are still higher then I paid with Spirit and I am including the bag fees etc. Another huge consideration for me is parking and how much is costs. US Airs who has been ridiculous in pricing beat SW even with bags fees. I also have to tell you that I rather pay $20 to pick where I am going to sit. SW and their stupid Early bird $10 each way is doing the same thing, but wording it different.

Yeah, lowest price wins.

Flight delays happen with every single airline. They just do. Spirit has had ONE single delay since I started using them and I have flown them quite often. I also take the first flight out (hard to screw that up) and the last flight home (delays are rare).

I don’t need pretzels or a drink for a two hours flight…no one does.

If it is a short flight (under 3 hours) they could chain me to the seat for the right price.

I flew out to Des Moines on AllegentAir last year. Cheap direct flight to a city that you normally have to hope half way the North Pole to get to. They charged for everything including the seat. It was still about 1/3 less the other carries and I didn’t have to change planes a half dozen times.

Anyway…I found in Des Moines there is a nice store you can buy carrie on snack packs for less than they charge inflight…not that I need that…but it was nice to have more options at a lower price…the other problem was I ate my snack before I boarded so I had to buy another one…which I started before I got on the plane and finished before take off…I am such a big fat fatty.

AirTran will most likely go away in the next few years as it is absorbed into Southwest…

Well, we went ahead and booked tickets for both ways. I was able to use a SW credit and I had a voucher from the wet luggage thing, so the cost for us RT was about 225. Can’t beat that, I’ll bring my own pretzels.:laugh:

[QUOTE=Dana;1134712]I checked SW, Spirit and my arch enemy Us Airways…SW was the highest. They are currently having a “sale” and they are still higher then I paid with Spirit and I am including the bag fees etc. Another huge consideration for me is parking and how much is costs. US Airs who has been ridiculous in pricing beat SW even with bags fees. I also have to tell you that I rather pay $20 to pick where I am going to sit. SW and their stupid Early bird $10 each way is doing the same thing, but wording it different.

Yeah, lowest price wins.[/QUOTE]

You know I swore that I would never ever fly USAir again—and didn’t for years. But…last summers trip from DC to Orlando they had airfare at less than anyother airline — by about $80 at the time. So we booked them. I was pleasantly surprised. This was an evening flight and it was not full so perhaps that helped.

I can’t remember what airline use to have sections. Was that Airtran? or was it JetBlue? Way back—you were assigned a boarding section and then just took a seat anywhere when you were called to board. At one point, my DD and I were assigned two different sections even when purchasing at the same time!! I got that changed when we checked in…but still—whichever airline it was I remember it being a scramble down the boarding ramp to get a seat you wanted together.

I would rather pay a little extra to have an assigned seat!!!

I flew Airtran from Orlando to St. Louis in February as part of my Southwest ticket. The plan was seemed really small and so did the seats. Not much room. We usually fly Jetblue out of Newark to Orlando, but it was a last minute trip and the price was right on Southwest. I have to say, I did miss the TV on the flight. But other than that it was fine.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1134719]You know I swore that I would never ever fly USAir again—and didn’t for years. But…last summers trip from DC to Orlando they had airfare at less than anyother airline — by about $80 at the time. So we booked them. I was pleasantly surprised. This was an evening flight and it was not full so perhaps that helped.

I can’t remember what airline use to have sections. Was that Airtran? or was it JetBlue? Way back—you were assigned a boarding section and then just took a seat anywhere when you were called to board. At one point, my DD and I were assigned two different sections even when purchasing at the same time!! I got that changed when we checked in…but still—whichever airline it was I remember it being a scramble down the boarding ramp to get a seat you wanted together.

I would rather pay a little extra to have an assigned seat!!![/QUOTE]

I’m just the opposite, I like not having an assigned seat on Southwest. I like just grabbing the first open seats we see, boarding seems to go faster.

USAir is the only airline I won’t fly. I don’t know how they are now but they used to have an awful on time record. When I fly I want everything to run smoothly and the flight to be on time. I know things happen but their record was terrible.

Steph -

That’s exactly why I stopped flying US Airs a long time ago. They have improved, but they would have to be super cheapo for me to book them. I was considering them for September because my parents would get points for the flight if I used their card for them and it was fairly low. I went to book and it went up over $100, so Spirit won.:laugh: