AKL, cool idea

I was thinking last night;
wouldn’ it be cool if the AKL had a different form of transportation to the AK? :happy:
I’ve never stayed there and don’t know wabout the transportation or how far or close it is to the AK but it sure would be neat!

“AKL = AK Express!” :AK:

That would be great if AKL had different transportaion for their guests to AK. My DH and I were talking about that when we were there a few weeks ago. He said, “what???no extra perks for being at your resorts park?” Kind of like the monorail and ferry for GF, POLY…

Your own private safari would be great!

I agree, I think that would be an excellent idea! (Especially since DH and I love AK sooooo much!)

How about an environmentally-friendly “train”? :tongue: That’s my vote…

I just rode it a few weeks ago, and it is a very short (5-10 mins) bus ride.

An environmentally-friendly bus/train would be very neat and go with the concept and theme of AK.

Prezcatz Paul

[QUOTE=Scottish.Mickey;870521]I was thinking last night;
wouldn’ it be cool if the AKL had a different form of transportation to the AK? :happy:
I’ve never stayed there and don’t know about the transportation or how far or close it is to the AK but it sure would be neat!

“AKL = AK Express!” :AK:[/QUOTE]

There’s pretty much no other way to do it. The AKL is land locked, there’s no water near it that goes anywhere. Building an exclusive monorail is just fiscally out of the question, plus, possibly disruptive of animal habitat in AK, depending on route. So, it’s buses. Besides, if anything, there would be an extension of the Epcot monorail line to DHS before anything else is built. I doubt Disney would even bother with a ground level train, and if they build an elevated train, it would have to be electric, not steam or diesel, so you’re still back to a monorail as the most effective alternate. The only other choice would be a people mover like the TTA in Tomorrowland and as originally suggested by Walt himself in the Epcot promotional film.

You have to remember that the MK monorail system was part of Walt’s original grand plan, part of the “big reveal” for guests who parked in the TTC (the gateway to the MK) and especially in the case of the GF, existed for 20 years before the GF even opened. As originally built, there were no vehicles, even buses, that were allowed to drive up to the MK, or even near, with the exception of guests at the Contemporary. That’s very different than the AKL/AK.

That would be a neat option too. :cool:

There is a AKL-only safari, but I think that you have to be staying in the concierge section to do it. AK is about 5 minutes from the AKL, so however you get there, it doesn’t take very long.

You could ride a safari to AK from AKL. :wub: :laugh:

I think that would be awesome if they did that and maybe with other hotels too!

[QUOTE=Prezcatz;870889]I just rode it a few weeks ago, and it is a very short (5-10 mins) bus ride.

An environmentally-friendly bus/train would be very neat and go with the concept and theme of AK.

Prezcatz Paul[/QUOTE]

Converting the buses from diesel to natural gas would accomplish the same thing, and is likely the best short term (5-10 years) work around for tightening gasoline/crude oil supplies.
I am currently advocating the switch to natural gas for all municipal/state/federal fleets as well as all bus transportation fleets.

How about riding on an elephant or camel??? Okay, you do know that I’m kidding.

Ah, yes. I think they should do this with all deluxe resorts. I personally think they should extend the monorail to cover the entire world, since it is the best form of transportation that currently exists. However, I’m liking the environmentally friendly train idea, and maybe this could extend to Downtown Disney, as well.

I would totally do that! :laugh:

Ok, not really…I’m afraid of heights. I can’t even ride a horse. :blush:

That was totally my first thought when I read this. Unique travel? How about elephant rides!:happy:

But really, that’s why my DH doesn’t want to stay at AKL, no monorail.

I’m not sure how long a walk it would be, but how about a jungle adventure walk on a cool path from the resort to the park… or do they already have that?

No sidewalk extends from AKL to AK’s parking lot or bus station. Sure, you could walk along the side of the road, but pedestrianism is not encouraged in large parts of the WDW property. In short, most places, “you can’t walk there from here”.

I was imagining the construction of something very creatively themed, with monkey bridges and stepping stones and so forth, right through the thicket to the gate. I will have to go look at a map and see if my vision even could come to life…

Your vision could be brought to life, but I don’t think there’s any willingness to do so on Disney’s part even in the best of economies. With the current realities, I think many projects and enhancements will be placed on back burners or back into filing cabinets. I’m sorry I’m being such a wet blanket on this subject. Chalk it up to a hard dose of being hit upside the head with reality.:wacko: