AKL - guests can create unusual animal ornaments

The popular make-your-own holiday ornament tables will be set up again this season at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Guests can join cultural representatives from Africa from 3 to 7 p.m. in the lobby of Jambo House and from 4 to 7 p.m. in the library at Kidani Village on Dec. 15 to 29 to make their creations.

Unfertilized ostrich egg shells from Animal Kingdom Lodge and the neighboring theme park are crushed and then dyed into colorful pieces that guests glue onto animal-shaped ornaments. Glitter and beads personalize the mosaic-like ornaments, and they are hung by recycled telephone wire.

The project is free, but a suggested donation of $5 per ornament goes to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund.

Kerri Sue Callahan visited Walt Disney World last December and said her family had fun making the ornaments. Because the keepsakes are paper with fragile egg shells, Callahan recommends parents use a few coats of sealer when they return home to preserve their hard work.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge guests can create unusual animal ornaments – A Mom and The Mouse – Orlando Sentinel

This sounds really neat. Wish I was going to be there during that time! What am I talking about? I wish I was there all of the time!

That sounds really neat! My girls would love that, to bad we won’t be there this year for Christmas. Maybe they will have it again next year and I can take the kids.