AKL or Wilderness?

OMG, I can’t believe how hard it is to choose a resort! :pinch:
We’re thinking either AKL or Wilderness . . . not sure of standard room or villa yet. Keep in mind that we’re a Pop Century family (three times) just because it’s what we could afford and DS loves the theming. We did get an upgrade one time to Coronado but DS wasn’t impressed. Too adult for him, other than the pool. So, we’re looking at Dec. 5-11, DS will be 14, we’re hoping for at least a little swimming weather. We are park hoppers and enjoy all four parks and probably spend equal time at all of them. We’re not DDP people and don’t do too much in the way of table dining. We like a good, big breakfast and then prefer to munch our way through the day whether we’re at a park or at the resort. What are the pros and cons of each resort?? We need good info from people who have been to both to help us decide!! :wub:

Well if it was up to me, I’d pick AKL.

WL is right across from MK, but to me it’s a real pain waiting for that boat. Unless it’s changed there is no shelter on the WL side, so you could be waiting in rain, blazing sun, blizzards …ok maybe not blizzards.

At AKL there are always animals to see from various points around the hotel. At WL, there are trees, trees and you guess it more trees, but it does have that geyser which is sort of interesting.

If you can get a DVC room, go for it. We too were a " value" family but turned into DVC groupies. I love, love, love having a coffee pot right in the room. I was the one that always went for breakfast. I’m now the one cooking breakfast but at least the walk is 10 ft not 1,000 ft.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1036621]Well if it was up to me, I’d pick AKL.

WL is right across from MK, but to me it’s a real pain waiting for that boat. Unless it’s changed there is no shelter on the WL side, so you could be waiting in rain, blazing sun, blizzards …ok maybe not blizzards.

At AKL there are always animals to see from various points around the hotel. At WL, there are trees, trees and you guess it more trees, but it does have that geyser which is sort of interesting.

If you can get a DVC room, go for it. We too were a " value" family but turned into DVC groupies. I love, love, love having a coffee pot right in the room. I was the one that always went for breakfast. I’m now the one cooking breakfast but at least the walk is 10 ft not 1,000 ft.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your insight!
I’ve spent the last hour at Allears looking at pics of AKL and WL, both the standard rooms and villas. I LOVE the theming of WL . . . we spend a lot of time in northern WI, which is trees, trees, and more trees. And lakes. And we love it. So WL is right up our alley. But the idea of the animals at AKL is also so darn appealing, too. I hope other people have insight as well!

DH and I are DVC members so we have stayed at the WL villas once in a studio. We loved the cabin rustic feel, all the pine trees, the walking path down to the boat that takes you to the MK. I really dont have anything bad to say about the resort at all. Now when it comes to AKL… Oh boy… We have stayed there 2 times. (Once in a regular savannah view room & then again as a DVC member in a 1 bedroom savannah view) Once you step into the resort you fall in love. Alot of people have said that it is too dark inside, which I agree it is to a point however it is what helps make the resort theme. The pool is amazing, the viewing area of the animals is wonderful and there are CM’s from Africa that are more than happy to tell you about anything you would like to know. Both Boma & Jinkos have great food. Boma is a buffett which is good to let you try a little of this and a little of that. They serve both breakfast & dinner and have the BEST pressed coffee.
I hope that this helps ya a little. If it were me making the choice between WL & AKL my choice would be hands down AKL… I mean where else can you go and stay at a resort (savannah view room) where you can look out from your patio or balcony and see zebra or giraffas etc. The whole place makes you feel like you are in Africa…
Good Luck with your decision… Honestly either one you pick you wont be disappointed.

Jiko does not serve breakfast and I’ve never seen a coffee press at Boma at breakfast.

I like the place on the lake although I’ve stayed at AKL as many times as WL (which is a lot).

I have two ds’s, 15 and 18, and they only want to stay at AKL. In fact, our last trip, I made ressies for BLT the whole week. When I told the boys, at individual times, both responded the same way “you mean we’re not staying at AKL? Why can’t we stay there?” They love the pool, the counter service Mara is their favorite. In fact, we’ll be at a park, ready for some food, and many times they ask to go back to the resort to eat at Mara and then for a swim. The bus system is great. We were a little spoiled with only having one bus stop, and then off to the parks, so when the Kidani side opened I was nervous, but we have experienced it now with the two stops, and it still flows really good. And then, the savannah view. I would really recommend that you get a savannah view. Yes, you do have viewing stations all over the resort, but there is nothing like after a long, busy day at the parks, coming back to your room and sitting out on the balcony for some down time, watching the animals in their natural habit. The boys always would fix their breakfast in the room, and then go out on the balcony to eat with the animals. I have never stayed at WL before, but have visited. It is beautiful, but the lobby seems a little busier and louder than AKL. It also reminds me of the resorts we would always stay at in Wisconsin Dells, so doesn’t do as much for me as the uniquness of AKL. Have fun in your decision!

I would do WL. It’s just my favorite. :heart: But I do like AKL as well. Either way, you can’t go wrong.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1036638]Jiko does not serve breakfast and I’ve never seen a coffee press at Boma at breakfast.

I like the place on the lake although I’ve stayed at AKL as many times as WL (which is a lot).[/QUOTE]

I had to go back and read my post to make sure that I didnt type that Jiko’s has breakfast. I didnt… Thought I was losing my mind LOL!.. I see the confusion though…It’s the way I worded it by saying they (meaning Boma’s) serve both breakfast & dinner. Boma’s does served pressed coffee. That was the first place that I ever tried it when we were there. It was amazing. It was an african coffee which was AWESOME. It was so good that I had to buy some coffee before we left and then bought the pressed coffee pot when we got home. They also serve it at dinner time as well…

This post was my cha-ching moment. We can get wilderness/woods/nature any time we want if we go to the right places in WI. And it’s the real thing. But Africa? Yeah, not so much! Animals out my window? Only the bazillion neighborhood dogs and the squirrels that are trying to avoid them. So, I think the decision is made. AKL it is. :happy:
Now . . . standard room with savannah view or Kidani studio with savannah view . . . ??? :laugh::huh:

Thanks, I knew MBers would help me out. :wub:

WedinDisney, did they have pressed coffee only at dinner, or at breakfast as well.
I’m asking because I have eaten breakfast at Boma probably 20 times since 2002 and I can’t recall once seeing a coffee press, but certainly had bottomless cups of coffee served with the breakfast buffet. Pressed coffee has never even been offered or suggested.
Of course, we have yet to eat dinner there even once. It has always been hard to work dinner at Boma into our night time schedules because we like to eat after evening entertainment and naturally, Boma stops seating around 9 PMish.

And I’m not trying to turn this into a dining thread, sorry if we’re taking a detour here.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1036667]WedinDisney, did they have pressed coffee only at dinner, or at breakfast as well.
I’m asking because I have eaten breakfast at Boma probably 20 times since 2002 and I can’t recall once seeing a coffee press, but certainly had bottomless cups of coffee served with the breakfast buffet. Pressed coffee has never even been offered or suggested.
Of course, we have yet to eat dinner there even once. It has always been hard to work dinner at Boma into our night time schedules because we like to eat after evening entertainment and naturally, Boma stops seating around 9 PMish.

And I’m not trying to turn this into a dining thread, sorry if we’re taking a detour here.[/QUOTE]

Don’t apologize. Any info I can get on AKL is appreciated. Even if it is about coffee! :happy:

[QUOTE=smee57;1036663]This post was my cha-ching moment. We can get wilderness/woods/nature any time we want if we go to the right places in WI. And it’s the real thing. But Africa? Yeah, not so much! Animals out my window? Only the bazillion neighborhood dogs and the squirrels that are trying to avoid them. So, I think the decision is made. AKL it is. :happy:
Now . . . standard room with savannah view or Kidani studio with savannah view . . . ??? :laugh::huh:

Thanks, I knew MBers would help me out. :wub:[/QUOTE]

Glad it helped. What’s funny is that I didn’t realize you were from WI until I read this thread. So, you definitely know about the wilderness theming! And, you are right, you see the real thing. But, as far as which house to pick at AKL, Jambo vs. Kidani, I really like Jambo much better than Kidani. One thng for sure is we’ve gone there so much, it just feels like home, but the lobby is so much more extravegant in Jambo House, and I love the smell of spices in the air from Boma, and then they also have the Mara there, counterservice. Kidani doesn’t have cs, and that seems a little inconvenient to me. I’ve heard wonderful things about Kidani though, so I’m sure many others will chime in on their preferences.

Of course one of my biggest reasons I love WL is that it is Disney’s interpretation on the famous Old Faithful Inn and nothing in Florida looks like that. So seeing as I live in Florida, WL is my different. I can see how people from the woods up north would view it as being more of the same.

For me, Jambo would be my choice over Kidani House as it is the original AKL.
I don’t see much advantage to going to the DVC side unless you have a real need for a kitchenette or a desire for a one bedroom suite with full kitchen.
And of course, when you look closely, the lobby of Jambo House (the actual AKL) is very similar to the lobby of both the WL and the GF with the exception of the footbridge at AKL and the start of the stream that feeds into WL’s pool.

I would rather stay at WL. I have stayed there several times and I love it. I really was not interested in AKL once I heard about the bus issues (Jambo and Kidani Village share buses and Kidani is the last stop so the bus can get full before it gets to Kidani), and because it is so far away from everything but AK. For me though, I don’t like a resort where my only choice is the bus. I like to be closer to MK and I like the rustic feel and the food choices. The food choices at AKL never interested me as I am a picky eater, I have the same problem at AK as well. The good thing about WL, if you are not happy with the water launches, then just take the bus. You have a choice.

Both places are amazing and both basically have a lot of the same things. AKL was built around the same plan as WL so they even have the same basic layout. Both have good pools, great restaurants, nice rooms etc. but the tie breaker is…

AKL has animals but only bus service and it takes forever

WL has no animals but quick bus service and boat service.

IMHO! :slight_smile:

No matter what going from Pop to either of these resorts is gonna be awesome!

Lisa

Lisa, like I’ve said, it’s all about the lake where I’m concerned.
Being on Bay Lake means being able to walk to the marina and rent a boat to cruise Bay Lake. AKL is land locked.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1036667]WedinDisney, did they have pressed coffee only at dinner, or at breakfast as well.

And I’m not trying to turn this into a dining thread, sorry if we’re taking a detour here.[/QUOTE]

Yup they serve it both at breakfast & dinner. I found their menu on the web and cut and pasted what it says about it below:

Drinks

Press Pot African Coffee and Loose Teas - Served in your own Press Pot. African Blend $5.99 for each Pot. Loose Tea Selections: Organic Rooibos, Flowery Earl Grey, Eros, Harmony Herbal, Organic Breakfast, and Vanilla Rooibos. $6.00 for each Pot

I am staying at AKL in a few weeks. Do they have a coffee pot and refridgerator in a standard room? Just wondering?

Yes. At least they did the last time I visited in 2008

They certainly do.
If you need extra cream and sugar, grab a handful in The Mara because those little coffee service packs never have enough of either and wouldn’t you rather not be forced to use powdered coffee creamer.