Alilmagical32's Very Magical Trip Report

Hi Guys-- School is finally winding down here, so I will post my TR. I have about 3400 photos so I will be uploading some of those as well! Enjoy!

[B]DISCLAIMER[/B]: This trip report will be obnoxiously long and detailed. Its for my benefit and that of my family. I do hope you will enjoy!

[B]Pretrip:[/B]
The Cast;
Myself
DS1 and DS2 aka The Boys aka C & J → Identical twin boys, age 3
My Mom: aka Grammy
My Dad: aka Pap

This marked the boys first trip to WDW. Sort of. They were in Magic Kingdom for about 3 hours one day when they were 1. A CM friend got us in with her pass, but it was about 107 in the shade that day, and it was just too much for them! The only things they had ridden prior to this trip were the carousel and Buzz and I am certain they have no recollection of either! :laugh:

Departure:
We left on Friday April 27, 2012 at 12:00 am on the nose. I had planned to sleep for a few hours before driving, but of course, that didn’t go the way I planned. I laid down about 10pm and got up at 11pm for a shower. I loaded the boys in the car at 11:45 and we headed off to pick up Grammy and Pap.

The Drive:
I had decided to drive the first leg, because I am usually pretty good at staying up late. I am still recovering from Mono however, so I was a bit worried about my ability to come through. My dad and mom both mentioned that they would stay up with me, so that I wasn’t fighting it alone. They both made it about an hour before they crashed. I drove (all alone) through the very mountainous WV until we needed gas. First stop was about 5:30am near Beckley, WV. Gas was $3.88 about ten cents a gallon more than at home. Dad drove from there and I CRASHED for a couple hours. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel somewhere just over the NC boarder and had breakfast. Gas there was about $3.95—most expensive we saw the whole trip!

We alternated driving the rest of the day and stopped at a Chic-Fila in GA for lunch. We don’t have this franchise anywhere around us, so we always choose it when available. I LOVE the indoor playgrounds. It’s so nice to give the boys a little time to stretch and play!

We stopped for the night around 6:30. Stayed at the La Quinta Inn just off 95 in St. Augustine. Overall, it was very nice with a decent continental breakfast in the AM. The weather was HOT but the water in the outdoor pool was FREEZING. We set off very early the next morning, excited to get to WDW! :mickey:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d like to see all 3400 pictures. Looking forward to more reading.

I’m with you Jo Jo!

P.S. I’m glad your Dad was able to make it. :slight_smile:

I Haven’t even seen all 3400 yet, but I am weeding my way through! I will be sure to share a lot!

[QUOTE=DisneyFreak78;1112157]

P.S. I’m glad your Dad was able to make it. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Me too :wub:

YAY! New trip report! I am really looking forward to this!

YAY!!! A TR to help the next 9 days go by faster! I can’t wait to read more!

Oh, so close to the world. That would have driven me crazy knowing there were only 2 more hours to go.:frown:
But with you recovering it was probably the smartest thing looking at the big picture.
I cannot imagine having 3,400 pics. We had one trip with 750 over 10 days. But 3,400. Did the camera ever leave your hand?:laugh:

More please…

Lovely, a TR! Please share some of those photos, and I look forward to reading ( and seeing) more!

YES!!! A new tr… So far so good.

Yea, another trip report–loving it.

VERY familiar with the “I’ll stay up and keep you company…” comment that is followed by a snore less than an hour later. One reason I love my wife is she point blank says “You got this, and if don’t you best just pull over and find a room bc I am sleeping.”

Excellent start! Can’t wait for more and to see those 3,400 pics!

Great start! How did your boys handle all that time in the car? I love pictures, so I’ll happily look at at least 3,399 of them :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1112164]Oh, so close to the world. That would have driven me crazy knowing there were only 2 more hours to go.:frown:
But with you recovering it was probably the smartest thing looking at the big picture.
I cannot imagine having 3,400 pics. We had one trip with 750 over 10 days. But 3,400. Did the camera ever leave your hand?:laugh:[/QUOTE]

It DID drive me crazy, BUT not as crazy as the two screaming three year olds in the 3rd seat! :blink::blink::laugh:

In all honesty, they did wonderfully. There were some hairy moments, but they did worlds better than I expected! Sometimes its good to prepare yourself for the worst!

Saturday April 28:

We arrived at AKV around 10:00 am. Our plan was to check-in, park, and hit MK. What we were not expecting was our room to be ready. When we arrived however, our room waiting for us!

I’ll take time out here to plug DVC rentals. We rented points from a fellow MBer (not sure if he wants to be named?) and everything was WONDERFUL! It was cheaper than two rooms at a value or even one family suite at ASM. (I think rates on the family suites were hiked up due to cheerleading/dance worlds)

My family LOVED staying DVC. I am counting down the days until I can purchase my membership! Our owner had requested a room near the lobby for us, and that is exactly what we got. (Definitely do this if you are staying here, the hallways are (L O N G). As a side note, if you wanted to use the amenities at Jambo house, it would be good to request a room at the END of the building. I almost wished we had done this, because there were several times we missed having quick service in our building.

The resort itself is breathtaking. Its rustic beauty took my breath away and the overall calming and relaxing feeling that is AKV cannot be beat!

I will note, however, that we were HIGHLY disappointed in the Savannah. We did not do a Savannah view, and I was VERY glad. The whole week, we saw MAYBE 10 animals out there, total. We visited the outdoor viewing area several times each day, hoping to see animals, and it just didn’t happen. We also dined as Sanaa and saw nothing during the entire meal. This didn’t take away from my love of the resort, but I will never pay the steep price increase for the Savannah view.

Anyways, since our room was ready, we decided to go ahead and unpack. Bell services unloaded the car and brought everything up for us. (We had the exact same issue with bell services/valet and the double tipping thing) I fell in love with the details in the décor. I want the headboard for my bed at home! :heart:

[QUOTE=alilmagical32;1112233]Saturday April 28:

We arrived at AKV around 10:00 am. Our plan was to check-in, park, and hit MK. What we were not expecting was our room to be ready. When we arrived however, our room waiting for us!

I’ll take time out here to plug DVC rentals. We rented points from a fellow MBer (not sure if he wants to be named?) and everything was WONDERFUL! It was cheaper than two rooms at a value or even one family suite at ASM. (I think rates on the family suites were hiked up due to cheerleading/dance worlds)

My family LOVED staying DVC. I am counting down the days until I can purchase my membership! Our owner had requested a room near the lobby for us, and that is exactly what we got. (Definitely do this if you are staying here, the hallways are (L O N G). As a side note, if you wanted to use the amenities at Jambo house, it would be good to request a room at the END of the building. I almost wished we had done this, because there were several times we missed having quick service in our building.

The resort itself is breathtaking. Its rustic beauty took my breath away and the overall calming and relaxing feeling that is AKV cannot be beat!

I will note, however, that we were HIGHLY disappointed in the Savannah. We did not do a Savannah view, and I was VERY glad. The whole week, we saw MAYBE 10 animals out there, total. We visited the outdoor viewing area several times each day, hoping to see animals, and it just didn’t happen. We also dined as Sanaa and saw nothing during the entire meal. This didn’t take away from my love of the resort, but I will never pay the steep price increase for the Savannah view.

Anyways, since our room was ready, we decided to go ahead and unpack. Bell services unloaded the car and brought everything up for us. (We had the exact same issue with bell services/valet and the double tipping thing) I fell in love with the details in the décor. I want the headboard for my bed at home! :heart:[/QUOTE]

First of all, I’m amazed you can remember such details a month later.

Hmmmm having three MBers with the double tipping. :mad: I did write to WDW about this. Wonder if I’ll hear back.

Yes, that hallways at Kidani is unbelievable. We were down halfway and we felt like it was a long walk.

Did you know there is a van that goes by and forth all day to Jumbo? Several times we jump on the van, went for some CS food and jumped back into the van again. The CS had covers for the plates and little (2 oz?) cups for mustard and stuff and bags to carry it all.