American Idol Experience

Has anyone had experience with auditions for this? My DD is considering auditions while we are there. (She is vocalist–teaches choral music to middle schoolers) Friends and family have been after her for YEARS to try out for the real thing, but she isn’t interested in being a “star”.

I was reading up on this on the website, and it looks like you really do get through the first step to real auditions for American Idol. If you win at DHS, you get a Direct Ticket.

Now, it says you can keep the Direct Ticket and not go on, or you can pursue further auditions. Later on in the rules and regulations, it says that anyone can audition, however if you win and don’t intend to go further on, you are taking away someone elses chance for the real show. Hmmm—

Now, we are thinking she shouldn’t do it—although if she wins, it will look great on her resume, and boy would her students absolutely love it!!! But—She really has no aspirations to be an American Idol Star.

Anyone else on here have a family member who tried out? Just curious about the process and if he/she/you won that day, if you went on. Thanks

…I guess no one has had any experience with this…I may be the one reporting back on it this summer! :slight_smile:

So think about THAT guilt trip for a moment. If I’m better than everyone else in the place, and I choose not to go on, then I’ve some how robbed someone who wasn’t good enough to win an audition slot from a chance to be on the real show.

I think the AI judges would THANK YOU for weeding out some of the rabble who would otherwise waste their time.

I have never watched or tried out for it. My daughter (by far the worse singer on the face of the planet, but adorable) keeps making a joke that she is going to try out just to see the look on the CMs faces.:laugh:

[QUOTE=Cavey;1111318]So think about THAT guilt trip for a moment. If I’m better than everyone else in the place, and I choose not to go on, then I’ve some how robbed someone who wasn’t good enough to win an audition slot from a chance to be on the real show.

I think the AI judges would THANK YOU for weeding out some of the rabble who would otherwise waste their time.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: …hadn’t thought about it that way…

I say do it! We watched an ‘episode’ for the first time on out recent trip and one of the singers was reslly really bad. . . I honestly think they must have had a hard time filling the days shows to let him through.

We will see if my DD decides to go ahead…it sounds like the whole process takes up a good portion of the day so we will probably wait until the end of our week to be sure we have done everything at DHS we want to…

I am starting to not feel guilty about it now after thinking about your comments…thanks…

My DD did it a few years ago. She didn’t win, but she did have a great time and is thinking about doing it again. Just so you know, the process of qualifying for the show takes up a lot of the day.

I am actually a fairly accomplished musician ( at least in my little pond ) but I have a vocal sound that loosely resembles a garbage disposal with a fork caught in it. Still it would be a real hoot.

The last time I was at the Lotusphere conference they rented out Jelly Rolls for one night and did an open mike. There seems to be a lot of musicians amongst the programmer set. The crowd was VERY generous, but I think it was cause I was fairly sober and could actually remember the words to the songs my little group did.

-H

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1111379]I am actually a fairly accomplished musician ( at least in my little pond ) but I have a vocal sound that loosely resembles a garbage disposal with a fork caught in it. Still it would be a real hoot.

The last time I was at the Lotusphere conference they rented out Jelly Rolls for one night and did an open mike. There seems to be a lot of musicians amongst the programmer set. The crowd was VERY generous, but I think it was cause I was fairly sober and could actually remember the words to the songs my little group did.

-H[/QUOTE]

Well it sounds like they need to do an “Americas got Talent” show then!! That would cover it all. :smile:

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1111379]I am actually a fairly accomplished musician ( at least in my little pond ) but I have a vocal sound that loosely resembles a garbage disposal with a fork caught in it. Still it would be a real hoot.

[/QUOTE]

I once heard an established musician talk about how most of the U.S.’ greatest bands/vocalists would have never won A.I.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1111365]We will see if my DD decides to go ahead…it sounds like the whole process takes up a good portion of the day so we will probably wait until the end of our week to be sure we have done everything at DHS we want to…

I am starting to not feel guilty about it now after thinking about your comments…thanks…[/QUOTE]

Looking back throug pics last night and wanted to add: one of the contestants at our show was well above the age guideline for the real AI, so his golden ticket would not mean anything either! Good luck!

I did it. It was a blast! Very realistic. They do pretty much everything they do for the show. Even so far as to have a Ryan Seacrest lookalike host and judges that are very similar to the Simon, Paula and Randy combo.

It does take up a big portion of the day, but if you get on, it is something to remember forever.

First you have a straight audition where you just stand in front of a judge and sing a song a capella. That person has you try another song of their choosing (with printed words) if they are interested in you.

If you pass those 2 songs, they have you try a couple more songs to find a performance song that fits you. They give you an mp3 player with the songs on it to go rehearse. Then you go back and audition for the producer.

If you pass the next audition with the producer, then you are on the show. They take you to the green room and show you videos on what to expect, then send you to hair and makeup and a vocal coach.

If you win your set, you go back for the final performance of the day and compete for a ticket to the real AI auditions.

I won, but was also too old for the real AI. But I was well aware I was older than 29 when I went in. :laugh:

Ohhhh… Ok…so they must know that not everyone intends to go on to the real show…good to know…thanks so much for your comments…I will let you know how it went after our August trip…

Absolutely. In fact, the actual wording says you MAY win a direct pass. They let anyone audition, young and old, and there were other people in the experience that day with me who were older than 29 too. And it is the audience who decides who wins.

There was also a young teenage girl there with her mother and the mother was with her through most of the day. The only thing about the young girl was that she was very upset when she didn’t win. (which I personally feel is the problem with letting kids in competitions like that anyway)