An Old Lament

I know this isn’t original…

…but pricing flights to DL today has put me in sticker shock! :eek::pinch:

And I’m also feeling generally cranky, because we have some FF miles… but of course not enough, because instead of 25,000 all the flights cost 50,000 FF miles now. :mad:

Andrea, I’m cranky too. But…that’s because my college student Son can’t find a part time job (not because of lack of trying).

I’ve been waiting for our September flight to come down in price for a long time also. It’s been stuck at $300 for months, which is not normal for Southwest. Ususally there is movement in prices throughout the week. Not for our dates though. Come to think of it, now I’m getting even more cranky! This economy STINKS (feel free to input a harsher word if you would like.)

Yep… there’s a word I’m thinking of… :laugh:

I don’t think things will get any better until at least 2014 and that has several variables involved. Inflation is taking off and prices just keep going higher. Especially fuel. Also, Southwest has no competition now in most places so they can charge more. We already decided that we will be driving on the spring trip.

I’m cranky too…I see no end in sight to renting-to-live, and if I want to stay in this state without going broke, I need to live in a van down by the river! Or something.

But we just gotta stick it out til it improves! :heart:

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1107287]
I’ve been waiting for our September flight to come down in price for a long time also. It’s been stuck at $300 for months, which is not normal for Southwest. Ususally there is movement in prices throughout the week. Not for our dates though. Come to think of it, now I’m getting even more cranky! This economy STINKS (feel free to input a harsher word if you would like.)[/QUOTE]

We finally settled for $268pp for September. The prices have not moved and I am the kind of person that needs to get stuff done early.

I would JUMP on $268 for going West… but that does sound like a lot for heading South…

Tell me about it. I kept putting off buying tickets for September in hopes the price would drop. Well, last week tickets jumped from $208RT to $238RT. Today, the tickets I priced at $238RT are now up to $306. In other words, the cost jumped $500 for me in the last 10 days!

I told Lil’ if they don’t drop by the end of August, we’ll drive the 16-hours each way. The only reason we were considering flying was that the price of gas had only offset the price difference by $200. Now, it’s $700.

We have a Capitol One card which we put EVERY THING on. Then we pay the balance at the end of each month. You can then book your flights and after you book you just call them and apply miles to pay for the flight.

My trip down to Ft Lauderdale was around $950.00 for the flight and hotel so it ‘cost’ me about 95,000 miles. ( yes they cover both the flight AND the hotel )

The only problem with this is that you only have so many years in which to use them. At one point we had over 400,000 miles and all of a sudden they started to disappear. Once we realized what was happeneing we paid for a bunch of trips for the kids. Everyone loved that one!

-H