An Unexpected Tradgedy At Pop Century

Because CNN is my home page, when I opened my browser, I was greeted with very bad news from the Pop Century. A 13 year old boy drowned in 4 foot deep water Sunday night in one of Pop Century’s pools. Judging by the picture posted it was the bowling pin pool in the 50’s section. I’ll post the link so you all can read for yourselves.

Boy pulled from Disney resort pool dies - CNN.com

I’ll also see if there’s anything from the local papers or stations.

More: Boy pulled from pool at Disney’s Pop Century Resort dies

It appears he drowned and was rushed to the hospital Sunday night, but passed away today (Tuesday) and it does look like it was the bowling pin pool. I feel so bad for this family and for anyone who witnessed the event.

Disney hotel drowning: Missouri nearly drowns in pool at Disney’s Pop Century Resort - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
According to this article, this occurred in the main Hippy Dippy Pool (if that makes any difference).

I just realized I put this in the main forum when I should have posted in the resort forum. If one of the mods feels that this thread should move to the right forum, please do. I guess I was in a rush to post before going to bed.

So sad, it’s a shame that these things happen. The family needs a prayer from all of us.

How awful for the family and also for those guests who witnessed this…

So sad. How horrible for his family.

That’s terrible. So sad for that family.

I don’t understand how this could happen. I would say why weren’t his parents watching, but he was a teenager and in 4 ft deep water, so it’s not even like inability to swim was a problem. I wonder if they were horseplaying… I feel like that’s the only way it could’ve happened, but why wouldn’t they have noticed sooner? Crazy.

Strange and sad things can happen in small depths of water. Horseplay could have indeed been involved Victoria—he may have hit his head on the bottom—he may have dove in when he shouldn’t have… :frowning:

A woman I had worked with drowned when she broke her neck in 5 feet of water and nobody saw her. She was in a crowded pool and no one knows how it happened…

Very sad for everyone involved at Pop that day…they will all think “what if?”

Heartbreaking for that family… You would never want that to happen anywhere. I can’t imagine going on a trip, least of all to Disney, and having that happen. Prayers for that family.

An absolute tragedy, I feel so terribly sad for everyone affected by this.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1131056]That’s terrible. So sad for that family.

I don’t understand how this could happen. I would say why weren’t his parents watching, but he was a teenager and in 4 ft deep water, so it’s not even like inability to swim was a problem. I wonder if they were horseplaying… I feel like that’s the only way it could’ve happened, but why wouldn’t they have noticed sooner? Crazy.[/QUOTE]

It can happen so quickly. Kids fooling around in the water…my dh once had this idiot friend who - under the guise of “just having fun” held my daughter under the water once. In a couple of seconds she was totally panicked and swallowing water. My dh grabbed her up and she was very close to passing out. She’s still traumatized by that. Needless to say I gave that idiot ten seconds to get off our property…so in a couple of seconds, just young teens horsing around - it can happen.

Update (03/12/13): Boy remains in critical condition after near-drowning at Walt Disney World hotel - Disney News

In this article it says the boy and his cousins had been running and jumping into the water. I am so sad for this family.

As I have not swam in a Disney pool in years, I cant remember are there signs warning of no jumping due to shallow water posted?

I’m sure there are… And when I was there, during the day- when the lifeguards are there… They watched that place like a hawk. It was unreal. I was thankful for it as a parent. I even saw them jump in after a kid that was “fake drowning”. He was about 8. and his Mom was so mad at him… But the lifeguards did their job well… It seemed like a good exercise for them, and no one was hurt. The Mom even made her son apologize to the lifeguard.

I understand that no lifeguards were present, but this is so sad for all parents.

Thoughts and prayers for the family. They are going through HECK right now. :closedeye :crying:

Oh ouch. That is heartbreaking!!! I can’t even begin to comprehend what his family is going through as well as anyone who was there at the time. Thoughts and prayers go out to all.

Speaking of strange things in shallow water. Did you know that a shark can attack you in only three feet of water? I also don’t know how this could have happened, though the reports seem to say the family was playing in the water at the time. But I will not guess or try to guess. This happened and it was an accident.Time to let the family grieve in private.
About the lifeguards, this was after the lifeguards had gone for the night.

[QUOTE=christina101902;1131067]
As I have not swam in a Disney pool in years, I cant remember are there signs warning of no jumping due to shallow water posted?[/QUOTE]

There are signs.

It’s so sad that he passed away. I cannot even imagine what that family must be going through.

[QUOTE=christina101902;1131067]Update (03/12/13): Boy remains in critical condition after near-drowning at Walt Disney World hotel - Disney News

In this article it says the boy and his cousins had been running and jumping into the water. I am so sad for this family.

As I have not swam in a Disney pool in years, I cant remember are there signs warning of no jumping due to shallow water posted?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are signs at every pool and it’s enforced when lifeguards are on duty. There is also a huge sign with all safety rules and a bigger one when the lifeguards are done for the day like they were in this situation.

this is so sad that I can’t even begin to put it into words…just that my prayers to the family

So sad and tragic, my thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.