Animal Kingdom Lodge or Poly?

I have booked my family of four at AKL and I am thinking of changing it to Poly. We have never stayed at the Poly and when we visit OHanna for dinner every year it looks like a lovely place to call home for a week.

Anyone who has stayed at both resorts or even just the Poly, please give me any input. Thank you in advance.

I love the Poly! We never stayed there but we would dine there when my family and I used to stay at the Contemporary Resort. I always wanted to stay there. Having the monorail alone is a HUGE plus!

We have been several times and I can say unequivocally that the Poly is my hands down favorite. Without a doubt, of our experiences so far, it has the most “Disney Magic”.

We are doing the WL this year, but even as I type this I am wishing I could justify the $1200 more to stay at the Poly.

I have stayed at both AKL and the Poly. While I liked the AKL…especially our view…I LOVED the Poly. I love the theme, grounds, the feel…just everything! I’m not saying that I didn’t like the AKL theme…etc…I’m just more partial to the island:happy: The location can’t be beat! We loved watching the MK fireworks from out balcony…:wub: The counter service is much better at the Poly too(IMHO).
The only drawback that I can think of is the cost difference. The Poly price is pretty steep!:ohmy::pinch:

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1030217]We have been several times and I can say unequivocally that the Poly is my hands down favorite. Without a doubt, of our experiences so far, it has the most “Disney Magic”.

We are doing the WL this year, but even as I type this I am wishing I could justify the $1200 more to stay at the Poly.[/QUOTE]

We stayed at WL last year and had a great time. We only have BWV, AKL and CB to compare it to and in comparison the location is what stood out above the rest. You won’t be disappointed.

I can book a room at the Poly for $85.00 more then what I am paying at AKL concierge. Granted, the Poly price does not include concierge but it does include a monorail, beech view of fireworks and a resort that we have not yet stayed. Also, we booked the package when they were giving away the $750.00 gift card and when I inquired today if I can use the same promotion if I were to switch resorts the CM said yes!

[QUOTE=Remy;1030239]We stayed at WL last year and had a great time. We only have BWV, AKL and CB to compare it to and in comparison the location is what stood out above the rest. You won’t be disappointed.

I can book a room at the Poly for $85.00 more then what I am paying at AKL concierge. Granted, the Poly price does not include concierge but it does include a monorail, beech view of fireworks and a resort that we have not yet stayed. Also, we booked the package when they were giving away the $750.00 gift card and when I inquired today if I can use the same promotion if I were to switch resorts the CM said yes![/QUOTE]

$85 more:ohmy: DO IT!
Even if concierge wasn’t incl. Heck i’d even take the hammock on the beach if I knew the birds wouldn’t peck me at sunrise, heehee
Poly hands down. No question about it.

For me it comes down to budget.
Poly’s biggest plus for me is not being land locked and closer to the main parks.
AKL’s biggest plus is it costs less and instead of water, you’ve got animals.
You do what you can afford or justify and don’t worry about the rest.
You can always watch fireworks from the Poly’s beach and then grab a launch and head back to the MK bus station by the quickest route there is and head back to your own resort. Watching from your balcony? Well, you are talking about shelling out for an MK view room, which is a premium on top of a premium for staying at Poly. And you still won’t hear the music.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1030248]For me it comes down to budget.
Poly’s biggest plus for me is not being land locked and closer to the main parks.
AKL’s biggest plus is it costs less and instead of water, you’ve got animals.
You do what you can afford or justify and don’t worry about the rest.
You can always watch fireworks from the Poly’s beach and then grab a launch and head back to the MK bus station by the quickest route there is and head back to your own resort. Watching from your balcony? Well, you are talking about shelling out for an MK view room, which is a premium on top of a premium for staying at Poly. And you still won’t hear the music.[/QUOTE]

I am like you…I need to justify cost. I love, love, love AKL but its location is less then preferred especially if you have stayed in one of the resorts closer to MK.

I definitely won’t be booking MK view, just a regular garden view is what I got the quote on and what we can afford.

Oh, I forgot one major downside. Only the third floor rooms at the Poly have balconies. For whatever reason, the second floor rooms have a double sliding glass door which if it weren’t for a sturdy railing, would lead to a quick fall to the ground.

[QUOTE=Remy;1030319]I am like you…I need to justify cost. I love, love, love AKL but its location is less then preferred especially if you have stayed in one of the resorts closer to MK.

I definitely won’t be booking MK view, just a regular garden view is what I got the quote on and what we can afford.[/QUOTE]

ask for Samoa 1st floor Volcano Pool side. A hop/skip/jump to the beach for fireworks one way and ditto on the other way to the GCH.

Poly- for sure. Their customer service is fantastic and it is so close to everything. You will get spoiled staying on the monorail. It is FABULOUS! Loved staying there!!! I am going again-same hotel… I loved, loved, loved it. And so did the rest of the family. My kids loved the pool and the slide. This year, they requested that we stay there again.

We have stayed at both resorts, and I’d put the extra $85 toward the Poly.! We requested the Tahiti building for our trip last May, as it put us within walking distance to the Grand Ceremonial House and the Ticket/Transportation Center. There are other buildings in that area as well. Even if you’re not in a park-view room, you can take a quick stroll to the beach to see the fireworks and water parade. The TTC plays the fw music as well, so you can hear it if you’re on that end. Have fun!!!

That was my next question…i have no idea what longhouse to request. Thanks!

I’ve only stayed in Hawaii, but that’s the concierge longhouse and it’s probably a budget buster even if you do garden view (which overlooks the quiet pool, the Great Ceremonial House, the guest longhouse to the east of GCH, the monorail line, and if you’re on your balcony the volcano pool).

Side note: I know I’m in a small minority here, but I really like the Contemporary tower and always have.

We love Poly! It’s a great place to stay…on the monorail line, the restaurants are great and we really like the pools. The setting on the beach is fantastic, too! You can’t go wrong there

check out tikimans site. It has a layout of the resort with building locations. If you’re wanting to use everything poly has to offer i’d suggest as central as possible.
TikimanPages - The Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1030363]I’ve only stayed in Hawaii, but that’s the concierge longhouse and it’s probably a budget buster even if you do garden view (which overlooks the quiet pool, the Great Ceremonial House, the guest longhouse to the east of GCH, the monorail line, and if you’re on your balcony the volcano pool).

Side note: I know I’m in a small minority here, but I really like the Contemporary tower and always have.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you for being able to stay concierge, I checked into and its $800.00 more per week… so its not even a thought anymore.

The Contemporary looks too antiseptic for me. What do you see in it and explain the “magic” you feel at that resort…I just don’t get it but if someone shared their feelings on this particular resort I would consider it for future stays.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1030383]check out tikimans site. It has a layout of the resort with building locations. If you’re wanting to use everything poly has to offer i’d suggest as central as possible.
TikimanPages - The Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages[/QUOTE]

WOW I never knew that site existed. Thank You!!!