Animal Kingdom Lodge

We are looking at staying at AKL in Oct 2010 - anybody got any advice / tips? We have heard getting between the parks could be troublesome.:confused:

It’s only the bus that you need at that moment that never comes.
When you want to go to Epcot, you’ll see 3 buses for the studios and 3 for DTD before you see one for Epcot. Until you decide to go to DHS, then you’ll never see a DHS bus and there’ll be 3 Epcot buses. Going to DTD, here’s 3 AK buses, 3 MK buses, and a TTC (which is the rarest of all buses).
No, it shouldn’t be much of a problem, after all AKL doesn’t share its buses, however, there are now two stops, one for the main lodge and one for Kidani Village.
And I’ve stayed at AKL about 5 times now, so I should have a good idea.

Thanks for that. Are the rooms small?

I am sure you will love AKL! It was always the least attractive of the deluxe resorts to me. Then I stayed there (at the request of extended family I was traveling with) and fell in love!

We never had much trouble getting between parks. Some of the bus rides seem like they take forever (like to DTD) but we didn’t have any real bus complaints.

Make sure to make an ADR for breakfast at Boma for one of your days - it is my favorite breakfast anywhere (WDW and anywhere else!)

The Mara also has the most wonderful Chicken pita sandwiches! AKV Jambo House is my favorite place to stay. The lobby is magnificent, the smells and aromas, the artwork. It’s just a beautiful place to enjoy. I would recommend that you get a savannah view. There is nothing like relaxing out on your balcony, watching the animals.

AKL is a fantastic resort. Don’t worry about the buses. No one’s experience is the same. We were there in March and the buses were just fine.

I have stayed at AKL twice and found the transportation to be one of the best on property. The lack of sharing with other resorts (except for villas) makes the commute more efficient in my opinion.

Tips: get a savannah room…totally worth it.
Talk to the CMs at the animal lookouts. They have so much info!
Go to Boma for dinner and be there by 4:30 so you can see the opening ceremony… very cute!
LOVE the gift shop!
Only one adult beverage per person at the mara…got me as to why

the rooms are a bit smallish to me. I found them to be only a touch or what felt like a touch bigger than a moderate’s room. Teh furniture is what makes it appear smaller in my opinion. 4 people can sleep comfortable if you don’t mind being a bit crowded. I don’t like more than two in those rooms, but I am weird like that. I need SPACE!

We’ve stayed there a few times now and it is our ultimate all time favorite resort! Its like coming home every time we arrive! We have never had a problem with the busses and always found that the bus we need has arrived with plenty of time. I agree there may be times when the bus your after isn’t there straight away but we always leave with plenty of time to spare incase of such an event and we take our trips with such a laid back attitude now we could fall over!
Having stayed at SSR in a 2 bed deluxe villa, going back to a standard room at AKL will seem small but the standard rooms themselves at AKL are fine for us and where a family of four aged between 18 - 46! We’ve never payed to have a savannah room but twice now we have been put in them for no additional cost!!
You will have an amazing stay at AKL, its truely a magical experience!

I think the rooms seem small because of the colours - very earth-tone and the light. The lights are DIM. At least they are in the villas. That was my only complaint - I like a lot of light.

Beautiful resort. Would make up for any bus issues you may have, totally!!Bus issues can come with any resort you stay at.

We love AKL… Its is our favorite resort to stay at… We have stayed at both Kidani Village and Jambo House… We like Jambo House better and here is why…

• the lobby at Jambo House is just so impressive:eek:…
  • they have animal viewing with night vision:ph34r: (kids love it)
  • they have Simba’s Playhouse (parents love it:laugh::laugh:)
  • they have the Quick service meal restaurant…:happy:
  • completely covered bus stops/sidewalks
  • they have the Zebra Domes:wub::wub: (you can get them as a snack)

we have never had trouble with the buses… the bus stops at Jambo are the best, completely covered which i great for when weather is not the greatest:laugh:…

you will love AKL…

well, i can’t say i’ll be booking again. it was okay, but not great. i don’t have near the experience in disney as any of the others but i was just as happy at pop century. akl was the first time at a deluxe for me and i realized the first day that i had made a mistake and should have gone with another. nothing major, just not my cup o tea. didn’t care for jiko, didn’t really see too much wildlife, and the theme just didn’t inspire the disney feel for me.

The rooms seem small because they are the second smallest of the deluxe resorts. The trend has been to build the rooms smaller with each generation. That’s why the original 3 are so spacious.
WL- 340
AKL- 344(standard)/381(deluxe)
Yacht/Beach- 380
Boardwalk- 390
Poly- 409
(Numbers are unavailable for GF and Contemporary, but I assure you that the rooms in the Contemporary are very big, the biggest single room I’ve had in WDW.)

[QUOTE=fito;1029091]

• the lobby at Jambo House is just so impressive:eek:…[/QUOTE]

If you try really hard, you can see many similarities to the GF’s lobby as well as the WL’s lobby. But with the same architectural team and form following function, are you surprised?

I never found the transportation to be too troublesome, sometimes the buses seemed a bit slow but we experienced that exact same thing when we stay at Boardwalk Villas too. The resort is peaceful, the Mara (counter service & small grocery) has good options, and you have Boma, Jiko, & Sannaa right there (all 3 restaurants are excellent). The pool at AKL is great & nothing beats relaxing out by the Savannah in a comfy rocking chair.

Yes they are very dim. I noted that when we arrived. I noticed the lack of lighting in Jambo and Kidani. But despite the dark, I love it.

[QUOTE=fito;1029091]We love AKL… Its is our favorite resort to stay at… We have stayed at both Kidani Village and Jambo House… We like Jambo House better and here is why…

• the lobby at Jambo House is just so impressive:eek:…
  • they have animal viewing with night vision:ph34r: (kids love it)
  • they have Simba’s Playhouse (parents love it:laugh::laugh:)
  • they have the Quick service meal restaurant…:happy:
  • completely covered bus stops/sidewalks
  • they have the Zebra Domes:wub::wub: (you can get them as a snack)

we have never had trouble with the buses… the bus stops at Jambo are the best, completely covered which i great for when weather is not the greatest:laugh:…

you will love AKL…[/QUOTE]
Have not stayed at Jambo, just visited alot. are the villas the same size as Kidani?

I would say the suites are basically the same size - but you can see that the suites in Jambo have been changed from “regular” hotel rooms to “villa” rooms; that being said, they’re still very nice. Kidani is slightly more up-to-date.

AKL surprisingly to us is starting to become our favorite resort. Between the 2 houses we like Jambo better because it just seems like there is so much more going on there. Plus, for some reason I think the savannah views are better at Jambo.

We have never had any problems with the buses there that we haven’t had any place else, so I don’t ever base the bus system on my resort choice. As for the room size, the way I look at it we sleep and shower there and that is about it. As long as there is enough room to do that, I am happy.

AKL is absolutely tranquil. The lodge is the warmest welcome home you can have from being at the parks hustle and bustle all day. The pool is amazing and its disney magic at its finest how they created it to make the guest feel like they are swimming in a lagoon.

My tip for you would be (and is this only if you have to book bunk beds and savannah view) is too upgrade to concierge. Its only a few dollars more and you are able to have breakfast and snacks all day long…not to mention all the other little extras.
Also, zebra trail is the side that was best for our family because its a great view of the animals, an elevator right down to the pool, laundry and quick service all on the same side.

Have a magical trip and if you book AKL you will not be disappointed.