Animal Kingdom: "Picnic in the Park"

[B]My jury is still out on this one. :laugh: Although, I guess a ‘family of 2’ doesn’t exist with this option. I think Daniel and I would totally try it because we haven’t been thrilled with counter service options in the AK park since Tusker House closed as a CS. Not sure I would use 3 credits just to create an invisible friend in our party. :laugh: Anyone want to join us for a picnic in AK this June? :tongue:

Took this from Allears:
[/B]

As of April 7, 2009, Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be offering a new meal program called Picnic in the Park. As part of this program, you will be able to purchase a meal for the family packaged in an “Every Tree Has Character” reusable bag, which can then be taken to one of a number of picnic spots throughout the park. Plates and utensils are provided. Meals include a choice of entrees, side dishes, desserts, and water. There are two tiers available:

Tier 1 features a chicken wrap, ham grinder, tuna pita, or turkey focaccia sandwich, with pricing starting at $24.99 plus tax for a meal for three.

Meal for Three – $24.99 + tax
3 Sandwiches, 1 Large Gourmet Side, 3 Desserts or Fruit, 3 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Four – $32.99 + tax
4 Sandwiches, 2 Large Gourmet Sides, 4 Desserts or Fruit, 4 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Five – $40.99 + tax
5 Sandwiches, 3 Large Gourmet Sides, 5 Desserts or Fruit, 5 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Six – $48.99 + tax
6 Sandwiches, 4 Large Gourmet Sides, 6 Desserts or Fruit, 6 bottles of Dasani water

Tier 2 offers a choice of rotisserie chicken or ham, with pricing starting at $29.99 plus tax for a meal for three.

Meal for Three – $29.99 + tax
6 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 lb. of Ham, 2 Large Gourmet Sides, 3 Desserts or Fruit, 3 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Four – $38.99 + tax
8 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 1/4 lb. of Ham, 3 Large Gourmet Sides, 4 Desserts or Fruit, 4 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Five – $47.99 + tax
10 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 1/2 lb. of Ham, 4 Large Gourmet Sides, 5 Desserts or Fruit, 5 bottles of Dasani water

Meal for Six – $56.99 + tax
12 Pieces of Rotisserie Chicken or 1 3/4 lb. of Ham, 5 Large Gourmet Sides, 6 Desserts or Fruit, 6 bottles of Dasani water

Gourmet Sides (16 oz.)
– Chips
– Macaroni & Cheese
– Seasonal Fruit Salad
– Coleslaw
– Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
– Tomato and Cucumber
– Corn Medley
– Orzo Pasta Salad
– Green Beans •
– Oven-Roasted Potato Wedges

Desserts
– Apple
– Brownie
– Cookie
– Cornbread
– Crisped Rice Treat
– Orange

NOTE: No modifications or substitutions are allowed.

Guests with food allergies should alert the Cast Member when placing their order, who will then contact a chef.

Place your order at the Picnic in the Park podium located in front of Guest Relations at Animal Kingdom, between 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. daily. After that time, or if you decide to get a picnic pack after you’re in the park, go directly to the podium at Tusker House Restaurant to place the order.

Pick-up time needs to be at least two hours from the time the order is placed, and you’ll need to bring the copy of the order form as confirmation. The pick-up location is at Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery.

Payment is due upon pick-up of the order. If you’re on the Disney Dining Plan, Picnic in the Park may be used as a Quick Service Meal (requires one adult entitlement per meal amount). For example, a meal for three will require three adult entitlements.

It sounds interesting. Like you, we’re not thrilled with the dining options at AK so we might think about this if we were planning a full day at AK.

This sounds like a great idea for families but I don’t know if its worth it for just my DD and I. On days we go to AK or HS we usually eat a nice breakfast so we won’t be hungry till dinner.

Doesn’t Daniel eat for two like every other guy I know. :laugh:I don’t know where my guys put it! :blink:

Where, exactly, are the picnic areas in AK? I would think it would be nice if there were picnic areas somewhere you could watch some animals, like maybe the monkeys? But as I was considering this, I was wondering where in the park you would eat? I have seen families bringing in coolers before, so I know there must be tables somewhere???

Our kids are considered “adults” this year for Dining Plan, as the youngest is 10 - this will work for us, but for a family with little ones? It takes adult CS credits…

I think this is a great idea. I don’t think $10/person too excessive for lunch in the park and I’m sure AK has some beautiful areas for outdoor lunch (and people watching :happy:).

Sounds interesting! We’ll have to try it!

Wow, that is very interesting! I know we would be game to try it next time we go.

Although I think the choices at the park are pretty good, especially with the addition of the Yak & Yeti.

This sounds like a good option for a lunch in AK. I think we will give it a try in May.

So with the dining plan can i order either tier 1 or tier 2?

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;951742]Where, exactly, are the picnic areas in AK? I would think it would be nice if there were picnic areas somewhere you could watch some animals, like maybe the monkeys? But as I was considering this, I was wondering where in the park you would eat? I have seen families bringing in coolers before, so I know there must be tables somewhere???

Our kids are considered “adults” this year for Dining Plan, as the youngest is 10 - this will work for us, but for a family with little ones? It takes adult CS credits…[/QUOTE]

Actually, a CS credit is a CS credit. They don’t separate them into Adult and Children CS credits.

$24.99 for a family of 3 to eat? Not bad when you think about it…I might give this a try one trip!

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;951787]Actually, a CS credit is a CS credit. They don’t separate them into Adult and Children CS credits.

You know, you’re right! I had forgotten that…something I read made me wonder what families with little kids would do…It was on All Ears, here it is:

“If you’re on the Disney Dining Plan, Picnic in the Park may be used as a Quick Service Meal (requires one adult entitlement per meal amount). For example, a meal for three will require three adult entitlements.”

That’s odd, huh?

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;951791][QUOTE=iluvwdw;951787]Actually, a CS credit is a CS credit. They don’t separate them into Adult and Children CS credits.

You know, you’re right! I had forgotten that…something I read made me wonder what families with little kids would do…It was on All Ears, here it is:

“If you’re on the Disney Dining Plan, Picnic in the Park may be used as a Quick Service Meal (requires one adult entitlement per meal amount). For example, a meal for three will require three adult entitlements.”

That’s odd, huh?[/QUOTE]

Definitely…but we know that a CS credit is a CS credit…well, until that changes. :wink:

This sounds like an interesting new option as we have been less than thrilled at the CS choices as well. I agree with cowanfamily though, I’m not sure where you would eat it. Also, am I assuming correctly that you get to keep the bag or does that have to be returned somewhere. I can see the tables in Pizzafari getting filled with people enjoying their picnic.

I’ll have to see what DH thinks. He has a good appetite, so I’ll have to see if he feels like it’s enough food for him. Although, in Sept. it is usually pretty hot still, so a light picnic lunch might be a nice change of pace.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess we’ll have to wait until someone tries it and they’ll let us know.

As this meal plan seems reasonably priced, it may be a good option for an out of pocket purchase, then you could use the CS credits some other way.

I like the sound of this idea- we enjoy picnics and people watching and with this option you could combine the two.

I’m liking this idea. I love picnics so I think this sounds fun. Even though there is not an option for 2 people I’m okay with the “picnic for 3” because my husband still can eat like a teenager.

Jess I’d love to join you for a picnic in June!!

Huh. It’s a neat idea but I agree it needs to have a 2 person option. It’d make for a great romantic lunch. It’s good that CS credits can be used.

I hope someone here trys it soon so they can fill us in on where you can sit, if the food is good…

We were planning on flame tree bbq for our CS. I have heard good reviews but does anyone know different? We were never there.