Another annual pass question

Ok we are going to be on vacation for two weeks the second week will be on disney the first week of 2011. If I buy annual passes for the four of us and they have a discount can I get a discount offered plus a annual pass room discount. And if I buy the AP than I am wanting to do an Oct. trip for a week the tricky part is am I better off to buy AP or to wait and try and get a package discount such as free dining which they have had the last three years or would it be better to have the AP and get a room discount thru it. And than in Oct. be able to afford a upgrade to WL.
I am trying to figure out which way to do this. In Dec. the we are using our timeshare offsite and will visit two days to Disney that week and than the second week only Disney. So I will purchase 8 day hopper tickets in and have the last 6 transferred to the room key upon checkin. We are going to stay at PoP the second week two rooms for this trip. the Oldest boy and his fiance is going with us on this one. But if they offer as in years past a shopping card for the the stay in Jan. can I get it and use a AP discount or pay regular room rate.
But as I said above if I do get AP than to make it pay for itself than it would be only logical to do a second trip before they expire. (one way to guarantee another another trip in 11 I know a little underhanded but hey).
thanks for all your advice.

Not sure I got the whole thing, but I can answer this:

You can not use two discounts together - AND your AP discount is going to be better then anything else - IMHO!

My next stay is at WL (Aug 13) and my AP rate was $157/night, which is an awesome deal. Last year I got AKL Christmas week for $190/night (savanna view)

I did stay at Pop one year and even though I used my AP discount, I did qualify for the GC, but I think they have changed the rules on that as well? (Not 100% sure on that)

GOOD LUCK!!

Remember when using the free dining deal you will pay full rack rate for your room. One year for WL I ran the numbers and it was a better deal to use our AP discount. For a family of four, the free dining will probably work out cheaper.

Regardless of room deals and discounts, if you plan on spending that many days at the parks, I think that the AP is the way to go. This way you’ll HAVE to plan another trip.

Mickey, do you think that you get the better discount if you stay at a Deluxe Resort vs Mod or Value using your AP discount??

And then remember you can get a TIW discount card to save on food purchases if you use the AP discount rate.

Also remember AP discounts are not a guarantee. Right now there is free dining until dates in Dec, but ap room discounts only until early Oct. That can still be coming, but you never know. Also you only need 1 AP to get the room discount, not everyone in the room has to have an AP. You used to be able to book 2 rooms with 1 AP, but I think they changed that, not really sure.

Here is the sample AP rate (taken from the WDW passholder site)

Spectacular Savings!
Up to 42% off at Select Disney Resort Hotels

Save up to 42% at select Disney Resort hotels from August 15 through October 2, 2010. Save all week long or stay for the weekend!

For example, it’s just $54 per night plus tax for stays most Sunday through Thursday nights and only $60 per night plus tax for stays most Friday and Saturday nights at select Disney Value Resorts from August 15 through September 30, 2010.

A Terrific Time to Visit
This time of year, there may be fewer Guests in the theme parks, but no shortage of excitement. And with this offer, you can take advantage of great resort benefits like enjoying the fun when the weather may be more comfortable, thanks to Extra Magic Hours (valid theme park admission and Resort ID required). So treat yourself to a hotel stay—and get away with spectacular savings:

[B]Where to Stay Passholder Savings

Select Disney Value Resort Hotels Save 35%*
Select Disney Moderate Resort Hotels Save 35%*
Select Disney Deluxe Resort Hotels Save 42%*
Select Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts Save 42%* [/B]

*The number of rooms available at these discounts are limited. Minimum length of stay requirements may apply for Friday or Saturday arrivals where applicable. Savings based on the non-discounted price that a non-Passholder pays for the same room. See Important Details.

Rooms fill up fast! Book through October 2, 2010.

Yes, you can still book 2 rooms. And I’m almost 99.9% sure they will have AP rates Oct - the end of the year.

Glad you knew. With us getting DVC, there are many details I just don’t notice anymore.

I also agree about the 99.9, but I wouldn’t want to tell someone “buy the AP, you’ll get a discount”. Before DVC, we bought APs because we would always plan 2 trips in one yr, so we’d get maybe 20 or so days use ( we still do that). Any room discounts were just gravy.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1042937]Glad you knew. With us getting DVC, there are many details I just don’t notice anymore.

I also agree about the 99.9, but I wouldn’t want to tell someone “buy the AP, you’ll get a discount”. Before DVC, we bought APs because we would always plan 2 trips in one yr, so we’d get maybe 20 or so days use ( we still do that). Any room discounts were just gravy.[/QUOTE]

Very true! Don’t buy it cuz I said so . . . :laugh::laugh:

I do hope there is a Winter AP discount, I use it for the week before Christmas.