Another question about tipping

But everyone take a deep breath, it is not about the appropriate amount to tip. :laugh:

On my next trip, I will be traveling with 7 people and we will be on the Dining Plan. I know that this means the tip will be automatically added to our bill. My question is basically, how does this work? We will be using 2 KTW cards to “pay” for dinner every night using our DDP. Will they automatically charge the tip to one of our room cards? Or will they just bring the bill with the tip amount on there, which is pretty much what happens for everyone whether you have 6 people or two people?

Basically, I just want to be sure that we can leave cash for a tip since we are splitting everything and don’t want one person’s KTW card to be automatically charged everytime.

Can someone explain how the check process is different for parties of 6 or more as opposed to smaller parties? Thanks!

ok, here’s what I am thinking.
if you pay with two cards, then the server will ask you which meals belong to which card. that’s how they calculate the tip.

Is this too simple or am I missing something?

The server will take both cards to charge the DDP and split the automatically calculated tip with the appropriate percentage to each bill. Then each room will have the option of paying OOP for the tip or charging the tip back to the room.

So essentially it is not really that different from what happens now with smaller parties? They bring everyone a bill with the tip calculated on it already as it is. Then you just have to decide how to pay for it. This seems like the same situation.

I don’t think they bring the tip pre-calculated on smaller party bills?
We are a party of 7, so our bills are always pre-calculated, but when my mom and dad went out for dinner on their own one day at EC, they were so used to having the tip added, that they forgot to leave a tip. I don’t think they would have forgot if it was pre-calculated. (BTW - they went back once they realized their mistake!)

They do bring the tip precalculated, at least they do if you are on the DDP. My mom and I just got back from a trip just the two of us and the first bill they brought always had the tip precalculated as a “suggested” amount at both 18 and 20%. I am guessing maybe the big difference is that it is not listed as “suggested” on the checks for parties of 6 or more, it is just listed as the tip amount?

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;998854]I don’t think they bring the tip pre-calculated on smaller party bills?
We are a party of 7, so our bills are always pre-calculated, but when my mom and dad went out for dinner on their own one day at EC, they were so used to having the tip added, that they forgot to leave a tip. I don’t think they would have forgot if it was pre-calculated. (BTW - they went back once they realized their mistake!)[/QUOTE]

yes they do. They suggest the tip for 18% and 20 %, so that you don’t have to do the math.
They don’t add it for smaller parties, they suggest it.

I guess I don’t remember seeing any suggested tip calc’s when my DH and I have gone out ourselves, maybe that is new, or maybe it’s that he always pays so maybe I’ve just missed it!:laugh: When you are a larger party the tip is calculated at the end of the bill with the final bill amount. You are given one bill to charge your meal to your DDP and you are given another bill to pay for your tip, either OOP or charge to your room.

it was new to us in January :closedeye

We just got back a couple of weeks ago and here is how it worked for us. We were a party of 10 on the DDP with four seperate KTW cards. The bill was split up 4 ways and each bill was automatically charged 18% and then it was your choice on whether you wanted to give more or not. If you want to pay cash for the tip, make sure you tell the server when they first take your card because they will automatically charge it to your room if you don’t. All the servers did ask if we wanted to do cash or charge for the tip, except for the one on the first night we were there and we didn’t realize we needed to specify. She automatically charged it to all of our rooms even though 3 out of are 4 parties did not want it that way.

We had a similar experience on Saturday night. There were 8 of us, 4 of us on the dining plan. My wife’s aunt wanted to pay for the whole check, but we convinced her to use our points because otherwise, they might go to waste.

So, the server first brought 2 checks. The first check used my TS points and had an 18% gratuity added on just those items. Once I signed that, she then updated the primary check and my wife’s aunt took care of the balance. It was actually pretty easy.

Thanks everyone for the info!

I will be sure to let our servers know that we want to pay OOP for the tip and NOT to charge the rooms.

We experienced the same thing. It wasnt a problem to tell them you wanted to pay cash for the tip, but you needed to do that when you specified how many meals per card. Most places asked, but those that didn’t, automatically charged it to the room.

You said you had 2 ktw cards to charge at meal time?
Be careful to tell the waiter/waitress that in the begining of the meal. We went this past March w/ my mother in-law and it was a bit of pain at a couple of places when we forgot to tell them ahead of time. Nothing major just a little time blurp!
Have fun!

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;998937]Thanks everyone for the info!

I will be sure to let our servers know that we want to pay OOP for the tip and NOT to charge the rooms.[/QUOTE]

Karen- also be sure to check your room charge summary. Last year we ate at Captain’s Grille (Yacht Club) and even though I left the tip in cash and put a ~0~ on the tip line , the waitress also added a tip to my room charge! When I checked my room charges a day or two later, I caught the mistake and took my receipt to the front desk at BC. They fixed my room charge and actually credited me with $50 as an “inconvenience charge”! I was super nice, and they were super nice, and I haven’t been back to that restaurant :laugh:

Thanks for that tip, Leslie! I wouldn’t hav even thought of the possibility that we could leave cash and it might accidentally get charged to the room too. Now that you’ve said it though, I can totally see how it could happen.

I am thinking we might just decline the option to charge to the room all together since we are all going to be spliiting everything. It may be easier to not have the option at all.