Another silly annual pass question!

We are going to be arriving the day after Christmas staying offsite I am planning on buying us all annual passes four of them. So I can use it again in Oct… Is there any difference between buying the passes ahead of time or just paying for them at DTD when we go to get them activated?

If you pick them up directly at the window they are activated for the year that day. If you buy them early from another source you can ask for a receipt. Most retailers can do this if they are reputable. You can take the receipt to any park window and pick the passes up and activate them at that time. The one thing I would not do is allow a company to send you actual passes that have been activated. This is how Shades of Green does AP’s. They can only sell passes for a limited number of days in legnth. The windows know what to do when we hand them the receipt.

There is no official discount for Disney annual passes although some ticket agencies may run their own promotions that yield an annual pass at a discount.

So there is no real advantage in purchasing an AP in advance. If you order an AP from Disney in advance you normally get a receipt that is brought to a Guest Relations window or park ticket booth to get the AP itself issued.

If you buy an AP at a Disney store at Orlando Int’l Airport, the AP is already activated starting with that day.

Inspect your AP immediately to be sure that the activation day as printed is correct. Once in awhile a mistake is made.

Disney Vacation Club members can purchase AP’s at a lower price. This is a special pricing, not a discount.

We did buy 4 passes upon arrival on the day after Christmas at Downtown Disney. went real easy. glad we bought one after we where not getting to MK until noon on New Years eve and the park was full except for AP and resort guest at that time and we got right in via the monoral from EPCOT.

Are you saying they were only letting in resort guests and AP holders? Just curious.

[QUOTE=seashoreCM;1061230]There is no official discount for Disney annual passes although some ticket agencies may run their own promotions that yield an annual pass at a discount.

So there is no real advantage in purchasing an AP in advance. If you order an AP from Disney in advance you normally get a receipt that is brought to a Guest Relations window or park ticket booth to get the AP itself issued.

If you buy an AP at a Disney store at Orlando Int’l Airport, the AP is already activated starting with that day.

Inspect your AP immediately to be sure that the activation day as printed is correct. Once in awhile a mistake is made.

Disney Vacation Club members can purchase AP’s at a lower price. This is a special pricing, not a discount.[/QUOTE]

In addition to DVC, FL residents as well as Military ID holders do receive a big discount with the latter also being tax exempt.

It sounds like they were doing that becauase it was at capacity. We don’t always see CM’s when boarding the monorail, never seen them checking for passes but I guess they would if at capacity.

I just learned that AP holders aren’t even eligible to attend EMH unless they are a resort guest. Wow, thinking of the Florida residents that just go for one day. Seriously, wow.

That is what confused me. Just getting on the monorail does not mean they will let you in the park. Maybe I have missed something but I thought once parks were at capacity they were closed to everyone.

The parks can only hold X amt of ppl. The guest in the resorts amt to a certain percentage, say…30%. Not really but this is just an example lol. The general population would be 70%. Once the general capacity has reached the 70% they must close the doors to assure room for the rest, even if only 15% of that 30% is in, or even planning to go, to the parks that day. One of the perks of staying on-site. (or so I was told by our tic rep):smile:

I have seen on other sites that there are different levels of closing based upon number of people there… I would not want to be there on one of those days…

THere was a sign out at the monoral that said Mk was or at ner capacity so they had the monoral roped off and a cm said I either had to be a resort guest or ap holder to be able to board the monoral to mk that day. I was also told later that they have different phases I guess up to a phase 4 capacity crowd.

[QUOTE=seashoreCM;1061230]There is no official discount for Disney annual passes although some ticket agencies may run their own promotions that yield an annual pass at a discount.
[/QUOTE]

AAA offers Fl resident annual pass discounts - they don’t do this for other states? I also have “Tickets at Work” through work, and they offer passholder discounts - both are only in the $20-$30 range, but it’s something!

I’ve been a passholder for 5 years, and when I renew my pass it starts on the day of renewal. When I buy a new pass (which I’ve done to change my anniversary date) it starts the first day I run it though at the gate.

Learned something new. I think if they were at that high capacity though I would head for another park anyway. It’s good info to have though.

Not at all curious for New Year’s Eve and what they refer to as “stage three”.
This is where the TTC lot has been closed to all traffic and Disney hotel guests are strongly encouraged to use Disney Transport to get around.
When a guest gets to the MK’s turnstiles, if they are in stage three, day guests are turned away and only Disney hotel guests (show your keys!) and Annual Passholders (whether staying on property or off) are allowed into the park.
It isn’t curious, it’s standard operating procedure for the busiest days (Dec 25, Dec 31, July 4, and usually Dec 26 and potentially Easter Sunday as well.