Another Trainer Killed at Sea World

Another trainer has been killed by one of the Orca’s at Sea World. It must have been horrifying, as it happened in front of an audience. Apparently the whale has been involved in two other people’s deaths. Another trainer and a man that snuck into the tank after-hours.

We love Sea World and we love the Shamu Show. The whales are so beautiful, but I guess we tend to forget that they are wild animals. Very sad.

ohmy goodness. That sounds terrible. I bet those animals are under a good bit of stress being in those relatively small enclosures and being prodded to perform all the time. But what do I know.

Was this the Sea World at Orlando? Goodness, thats such a tragedy, but as you so rightly say these Orcas are a wild animal, and one can never be sure when they will react in a dangerous way.

This is so sad. I heard they closed the park too.

Yes, in Orlando.

Experts were saying that it might not be intentional - that they don’t realize, of course, that humans can’t hold their breath underwater. Either way - you can’t blame a whale for natural behaviour. So sad, though.

I agree, this is horrible, especially for an audience to witness. But animals are animals and will do what is natural. During our dog obedience class the trainer told us to always remember a dog may be a man’s best friend, but he’s canine first.

And this is the third person this whale has fatally injured? Maybe we should let him back out in the wild where he belongs.

I was just looking at this on CNN. They said this particular whale has been involved with other drownings before. Sad

This is so very sad. What a horrible thing to witness.

that is awful…thoughts an prayers to the trainers family

So scary, they just mentioned it on our local news but the details seem a little fuzzy. They mentioned a couple different situations that may have contributed.

Very sad, but they are wild animals and the trainers do know that going in :frowning: especially the ones caught in the wild as that boy was.

My local news said that the trainer had just finished what the audience was about to see when the whale popped up out the the water, grabbed her, and shook her. So sad. I don’t know why they kept this animal performing if it’s attacked before. :frown:

Well, that’s not really possible, now, considering that he’s used to his environment. Taking an animal that has lived in captivity and releasing him into the water would be a bad idea. The animal isn’t used to surviving on his own (even if it does have animal instinct), and it would disrupt the natural habitat of those already living there. He would probably die.

But, I do agree that this whale probably shouldn’t be performing anymore if he’s killed three trainers. There must be a better captive environment to put him in.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1019969]Well, that’s not really possible, now, considering that he’s used to his environment. Taking an animal that has lived in captivity and releasing him into the water would be a bad idea. The animal isn’t used to surviving on his own (even if it does have animal instinct), and it would disrupt the natural habitat of those already living there. He would probably die.

But, I do agree that this whale probably shouldn’t be performing anymore if he’s killed three trainers. There must be a better captive environment to put him in.[/QUOTE]

Well then maybe he has to be put down. Just like they do with other animals, wild and domestic alike, if they attack or are too dangerous.

Wow, speechless.

So I’m thinking … Sushi sale!

Well, Iris, I have to disagree with you here. As tragic as it is - it’s all the result of human error. This whale wasn’t born in captivity. It was captured. After the first death, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out - maybe this whale shouldn’t be in a “show”. Now - this whale has been taken out of his natural habitat, become use to being cared for, but still shows “natural” whale behaviour and yet no one says - maybe an aquarium would be best for him? No shows, no human contact. This is a wild animal - caught in a situation created by humans. Yes, it is a tragedy - but “putting him down” isn’t the answer. Being responsible and finding a good situation for him should have been the answer after the first incident. He’s only doing what nature tells him to do. He is not and never was a domestic animal and he’s in this situation because of man.

Oh I totally agree with you on finding a suitable situation for this whale. apparently though, it is not possible? He/she most definitely should not be performing any longer

Note to self: Don’t become a trainer at Sea World.

You know, honestly, animals were not meant to be in captivity. Especially the huge ones. I feel sorry for them.