Any Advice About My Disney Future?

Okay, so, I’ve been having a VERY hard time choosing between majors. I either want to go to school for cuilnary management in baking and pastry, school to be a science teacher, or work within the Dinsey company. Now, theres two problems, it’s hard to choose bc all of these things I’ve wanted to do for a LONG time. And the second being, I don’t know what EXACTLY I want to do for Disney, like what major to go for a so on. And it’s March, and applications are due soon, and I don’t want to choose the wrong thing. So here’s what I’m thinking!!

I could, instead of going to school this Fall, I could do the Disneyland CareerStart for Spring 09, because WDW is SWAMPED, and Disneylands E-presentation seems to have better classes for finding out what you want to do within the Disney company. And then at th end, see what my options are at Disney, and then decide what I want to do for College and then go to school next Fall 09 and do the WDWCP while I’m in school and do some professional internships.

Because even if I put off school a year I’ll still be going into college on time, because I graduated high school a year early!

I am however a little frigtened bc California’s Disneyland doesn’t provide apartments like WDW does, but I still really want to!

What do you guys think?
Is all I need some faith and trust?
:peterpan:

This is so hard for me to answer…

I will tell you this much: if you want to work for Disney, then you need to DO it at some point. Even if it doesn’t end up being your career, you need to do it so that you can feel like you accomplished it. (If I had never done it, I know I would still spend every waking moment wishing I was working at Disney!)

That being said, Disneyland is HARD to work at because (like you mentioned) they don’t provide housing. It’s a maaaajor disadvantage to CareerStart versus the WDW CP. But the great news is, you already have a head start in that you KNOW you need to be looking for housing! (So you’re several steps ahead already! :happy:)

My recommendation would be to go for CareerStart. Start saving your pennies and looking for housing in SoCal - your best bet is going to be renting a room or a studio apartment.

I think that if you try Disney out now, you can really decide if it’s the career path for you. The fact that you don’t know exactly what you want to do with Disney is actually wonderful!! It’ll be even more exciting to go into it with an open mind and let the opportunities come to you.

Then if, down the line, you decide that Disney isn’t the right path for you, you can always get started on your college career and move in a different direction.

Trust me, you’ll never regret giving Disney a try - but I bet you’ll regret it if you don’t! :wink:

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Disneyland started offering housing last year. I believe it may limited and I’m sure it’s not cheap but it is available.
Disney College Program: Disneyland - Students: Housing Overview

I wouldn’t worry so much about deciding exactly what major and exactly what you want to do with your life because these things will change as you age and have different life experiences. When I graduated from high school I wanted to be a floral designer. I did this for three years till I got burnt out and it was time for a change. I was really glad I had the opportunity to do this because even though it was not a lifetime career I got to do something I’d always wanted to do. Now I’m almost thirty and I’m on my third career.

Disney is a huge company with literally thousands of jobs. Career paths tend to take many different directions.

I’m sorry I just reread the DL CP website. The housing offered is for College Program not Career Start.

[QUOTE=dznygrl;942462].

I think that if you try Disney out now, you can really decide if it’s the career path for you. The fact that you don’t know exactly what you want to do with Disney is actually wonderful!! It’ll be even more exciting to go into it with an open mind and let the opportunities come to you.

Then if, down the line, you decide that Disney isn’t the right path for you, you can always get started on your college career and move in a different direction.

Trust me, you’ll never regret giving Disney a try - but I bet you’ll regret it if you don’t! :wink:

Hope that helps! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Great Advice!!!

If you want to try your hand at working for Disney Id say do it now because if you don’t at least try you will regret it, thats the position Im in now. Its something I have always wanted to do and it never leaves the back of my mind, its always there. My last chance really to do a program is to apply to work there next summer so fingers crossed I get to give it a shot. Its scary thinking of what Ill have to leave behind and the risks im taking but I know in my heart its something I have to do so Im just throwing caution to the wind and diving on in, so that would be my advice. Jump in!

Most people who start college start with a major in mind. That major is changed 16 million times within the first 2 years. Why can’t you start college and work at WDW at the same time? Is this not possible?

I’m tempted to suggest that you start college first, adjust to the whole college experience, and then go do the CP. Going off to college was a big change for me, and I don’t think I would have been able to handle living in my own place straight out of high school, like you would have to for the CareerStart. Of course, that’s just me. I know everyone’s different. :happy:

And from personal experience, don’t worry about a major! Use your first year in college to take classes in whatever you’re interested in and feel it out. I took forensic anthropology, an acting class, Victorian literature, Czech language & culture… it was AWESOME. I loved all my classes and realized I was a Liberal Arts & Sciences kind of girl. I’m looking into Disney careers for myself now, and it seems that there is a place for everyone, no matter what your major or interests. So I wouldn’t try to tailor your major to Disney - find a major that you’re interested, and then find your place at Disney with it. :heart:

dznygrl you are SO RIGHT!!! This is exactly the predicament I am in now. I kept putting off the CP… and now I’m graduating, still never have done it. I keep telling my family, “But I HAVE to go work at Disney for at least a summer, or else I’ll never be able to get it out of my head!!” They don’t understand. :sleep:

I would suggest college for a while… then if you like it- do the college program. It would be great to be in the program with people your own age and interests… Plus, you will have some college under your belt so that you can be thinking of what you want to do with your life. You may get into a program that has to do with baking, and decide that you really like the catering part of your courses better. This might help you decide where you want to place better in the college program. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

I’m such a stick in the mud… but what do your parents say? They know you best. :happy:

Mine never did either…:whistling (And still don’t!) I think they’re just glad I’m “back to normal” now or something. :laugh:

Stacey hon I dont have any advice for you, I just know you’d be perfect for Disney and I wish you every success in all that you do- good luck with your choices, you’ve had great advice from those who know here, so read and take note!

I know that feeling TOO well! :wacko:

Thank you everyone for your help and advice! I’m going to write back responses later, I just don’t have time right this second! Talk to you later everyone and again theres lots of great advice!!

No, working for WDW and going to college at the same time is very possible. By way of the WDW College Program. Which I intend on doing, once I’m in school. But I really would like to have direction when going into school and not change my major, atleast not drastically. :smiley: