Any Disneyland tips

Well, our Disneyland trip is finally almost here and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for us. This will be my DH’s first trip to Disneyland and my first trip there in many years(California Adventure had just opened the last time I was there). We are using our DVC points at the Grand Californian and have 3day park hoppers. We are definitely eating at the Blue Bayou and Goofy’s Kitchen. Any other restaurants or snacks that are not to be missed?

Also, we are going to drive down to San Diego for a day and probably go to Knott’s Berry Farm, but we still have some free time. Are there any other fun or interesting things in the area that anyone can recommend?

Disneyland: I usually get one popcorn each day. Dole whip of course.

San Diego, go have Mexican in old mexico. Take a walk around the Dana Inn along the beach.

Check out the Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor:

21516 Golden Triangle Road
Santa Clarita, CA 91350
661-253-4FUN

or

799 The Shops at Mission Viejo
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
949-364-5411

Enjoy

My favorite eating place in Disneyland is New Orleans Cafe (it is across from the blue bayou). They have the best Monte Cristo’s ever. We usually do a lunch there though and not a dinner. Also Storytellers cafe is really good too.

Also if you want to see the water show at California adventure make sure you get a pass to the show because they go fast. I know it opened they were using Grizzley river rapids fastpass for the watershow, but I do not know if the water show has it’s own fastpass type system yet. Check into it. I never say it since it has been open but my DW and I stay at the Grand Californian last april and our balcony overlooked California adventure. Every night after the park closed they were doing testing for the show and one night they ran through then entire show twice it was really good.

[QUOTE=PeterPansPixie;1064292]Well, our Disneyland trip is finally almost here and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for us. This will be my DH’s first trip to Disneyland and my first trip there in many years(California Adventure had just opened the last time I was there). We are using our DVC points at the Grand Californian and have 3day park hoppers. We are definitely eating at the Blue Bayou and Goofy’s Kitchen. Any other restaurants or snacks that are not to be missed?

Also, we are going to drive down to San Diego for a day and probably go to Knott’s Berry Farm, but we still have some free time. Are there any other fun or interesting things in the area that anyone can recommend?[/QUOTE]

What about Sea World in San Diego? Knott’s Berry Farm is close to DL. It was actually a very fun park to go to. we were quite surprised.

The Disneyland forum at Micechat.com has a sticky for World of Color that will tell you everything you need to know. It’s something you need to plan for!

If you hit Cafe Orleans, it would be a CRIME not to order their Pomme Frites.

I love the bacon-wrapped asparagus at the Bengal BBQ.

I wouldn’t waste my money in the Blue Bayou… go in and sit, by all means, but plan ahead so it’s a dessert as an afternoon snack. The food isn’t worth the $$.

Are you doing breakfast or dinner at Goofy’s Kitchen? I haven’t done the dinner, but I thought their breakfast buffet was better than the WDW equivalents.

DO get there for rope drop. I’ve done every major ride before 11:30am and then you can just do them AGAIN! :laugh:

Catch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe Cafe.

Canoes! Do the canoes! (Yes, I am that rare person who LOVES the canoes.)

In the Indiana Jones queue, pretty much do everything every sign tells you NOT to do. Disturb the bats, pull the rope, etc. But for the love of all that’s good… don’t look into the Eyes of Mara. Some idiot always does and then everything just goes to helicopter in a handbasket. :wink: :laugh:

Oooh~ Me~! I do! Pick me! :happy:

California Adventure has changed quite a bit since then!

First off, you are going to LOVE :wub: the Grand Californian. They have their own entrance to California Adventure! See if you can at least visit Napa Rose while you are there. Even if it is only for appetizers.

The top three for me are NAPA ROSE and STORYTELLER’S CAFE are at the Grand Californian, and are two places we eat at least once. Always on the more than once is THE JAZZ KITCHEN in Downtown Disney. Blue Bayou used to be an absolute must for me, and it was a thrill to get a table by the water, but the prices have become too unreasonable. Carnation Cafe is good for the baked potato soup, and they still sell smoked turkey legs (which I think are really pterodactyl legs) in Disneyland. Cafe Orleans is now sit down, so you can eat could food in New Orleans Square at half the price of Blue Bayou.

[QUOTE=PeterPansPixie;1064292]

Also, we are going to drive down to San Diego for a day… [/QUOTE]

Having lived in San Diego for a good portion of my time, there are a number of places that you can go to visit. I could go on and on, but a lot depends on how much time you were planing to stay there. One day? Two? Sea World is always nice, and can fill up the entire day. Scrips has a nice aquarium if you don’t want to see any shows. The Hotel Del Coronado is worth a trip to stroll through a building Thomas Edison wired for electricity. Downtown San Diego eateries have changed too much in the past fifteen years since I left to keep up with. But Columbia Street Brewery is worth a stop. =) :pirate:

I would pass on Knott’s Berry Farm. It’s not the nice, quaint attraction it once was. =(

A lot depends on time. I would go with two days in San Diego if you have it, rather than LA. Unless you want to spend more time in Disney. 'cause, you know, three days is the bare minimum. :happy:

A few things, actually. :happy:

Andrea and 6-2-6 are right about Blue Bayou. It’s a fun spot, don’t get me wrong, and it’s nice to sit and enjoy the ambiance as the Pirates boats go by, but for the same amount of $$$ you can get much better food elsewhere (either in the park itself, at DTD, or in an area restaurant nearby). Make it a dessert destination, and do your serious eating elsewhere. (For example, the dinner buffet at Storyteller’s Cafe offers several excellent items and gives more value for the cost than Blue Bayou. You can also enjoy a glass of wine or other adult beverage with your meal – something not available within the park.)

I will also second the frites recommendation at Cafe Orleans. The servings are generous, so you could easily share between the two of you. I’m also fond of their three-cheese monte cristo and their ratatouille. Tasty noms.

Your best bets from Bengal BBQ are the grilled veggie options. Those asparagus skewers are addictive, and the mixed veggies are also good. The meats are flavorful but tough, so be forewarned. Carnation Cafe has that wonderful loaded potato soup; it’s a popular place so if you want to eat there, I’d advise stopping by to put your name in in advance. It’ll save you some waiting time.

Pacific Wharf Cafe over in DCA has soups, salads, and sandwiches, featuring breads made at the Boudin Bakery next door. My favorites there are the broccoli-cheese soup and the chicken salads. Taste Pilot’s Grill has some decent burger options, if that’s what you’re into. For my money, the best burger is at The Jazz Kitchen. It’s easily one of the best I’ve had anywhere. Just don’t be tempted to try the one on offer at JK Express next door – it’s NOT the same.

Menus for all Disneyland/DCA/DTD venues are available at Allears.net. You can see exactly what’s available where, and for how much, which will allow you to best decide where you want to go for which meal.

With a 3-Day Hopper, you get an early admission, which is a great way to get some popular rides under your belt before rope drop. My DD and I did this in '08, and were able to do several of the big rides before going to the first show of the day at the Golden Horseshoe. We were able to get seats right up by the stage and had a terrific time.

Depending on your level of parade and/or fireworks enthusiasm, that can be another good time to enjoy the most popular rides. Lines are shorter, and you can sometimes do back-to-back walkthroughs, which is always a plus.

If you decide to go to Knott’s Berry Farm, make a point of getting the fried chicken while you’re there. It’s quite good.

Why yes, I AM a foodie, now that you mention it… :blush:

That is right I forgot all about the Pomme Frites. DW and I always share some Pomme Frites when we go there it goes great with the 3 cheese monte cristo. Best meal ever.

My husband loves a good monte cristo we will have to stop in there one of our days:pirate: