Any new opinions of the Luau?

I want to try something new. Would it not be fun to see one’s husband doing the hula whilst the wife is munching on suckling pig?

Has anyone here been to the Luau lately and what did you think of it?

[QUOTE=Dopey;1105990]I want to try something new. Would it not be fun to see one’s husband doing the hula or whilst the wife is munching on suckling pig?

Has anyone here been to the Luau lately and what did you think of it?[/QUOTE]

I’ve never had the desire to go there, but I’d go in a New York minute just to see Mike sway those hips. If you go and he gets picked, be sure to take lots of pictures…before you lose your camera. :rolleyes::smile:

We went some years back and while the food was not to die for, the entire event was really fun. The cast members were really amazing and the whole show was very well put together.

Of course we spent our honeymoon in Hawaii so we have a soft spot for the islands anyhow.

-Harry

If you haven’t done the Luau you need to go. The food is ok (not the best Disney but better than a lot of restaurants I’ve been to). The show is fun, it is different, it is an experience even if your husband doesn’t hula.

Thanks Harry and tigger, I think we’ll try it.

Loretta, get ready!

Show wise, I actually find Hoop de Do more entertaining, but the atmosphere at the Luau is AWESOME and I think it is worth going for the bread alone. I have dreams about how wonderful that bread is!

I found them both to be about the same food wise and entertainment wise (they are both different on both accounts but at the same level).

The atmosphere at the Luau I agree is awesome. That kind of does set it apart from the other similar dinning experiences (I would through in Mickey’s Backyard BBQ as well).

It is a Disney experience…

We did this in November, our entire group, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. As others have said, the food is ok and the atmosphere is great. However, it isn’t an authentic experience at all. Not that they claim it to be nor did I expect it to be. We had fun but I think I’m just bitter that I didn’t get the chance to hula. Lol. We did op t for the best tier and were seated front and just slightly off center. Get there with plenty of time to enjoy t he bar before they seat you:).

We did it in December, and it was fun again. This time the food was better than our 2007 trip. However, if you have done it before, I will tell you, the show is 100% the same as it was 5 years ago. It is always fun, and the kids loved it!

I would warn though, if you are going in the summer, sit toward the front. In the summer in 2007, under the cover in the back, there was no air and it was at least 135 billion degrees under there. Every time I went to the restroom (which is alot with neverending beer pitchers), I thought I was going to spontaneously combust because of the heat.

This is exactly what I had in mind. Getting there early to get a fanzy-shmanzy pineapple full of some Captain Morgan. And yes, we all know that this cannot be authentic but it should be fun, after all it isn’t exactly inexpensive…

Michele, I cannot believe that they didn’t let you hula :crying:

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1106039]We did it in December, and it was fun again. This time the food was better than our 2007 trip. However, if you have done it before, I will tell you, the show is 100% the same as it was 5 years ago. It is always fun, and the kids loved it!

I would warn though, if you are going in the summer, sit toward the front. In the summer in 2007, under the cover in the back, there was no air and it was at least 135 billion degrees under there. Every time I went to the restroom (which is alot with neverending beer pitchers), I thought I was going to spontaneously combust because of the heat.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. We have never done it. It’s time for something new for us. And you know, we are very lucky to go between November and March. It’s never too hot, thank goodness.
I cannot imagine being in Florida any other time of year. I would melt - anything over 75degrees is murder for me. :blush:

I echo all of the above. It’s a really nice fun night, food isn’t terrific, but the atmosphere and show were very well presented. It’s probably one of those events you wouldn’t rush to do year after year, but certainly worth doing.

Dopey
I have never been to the Luau but I have done the Hoop Dee Doo Revue and it was alot of fun. My family got there early and my Uncle suggested that I find one of the entertainers for the show and so I did. When you find an entertainer tell them that you would like a member of your family to participate in the show and point them out. You must get there early, tell them and do not let the member of your family know. i did this to my brother. During the middle of the show they grabbed my brother out of the blue and he was on stage in seconds with an Indian costume on! It was hilarious! He was a good sport.

Luau: LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!:heart:
One of our favourite dining experiences, I think we’ve done it 4 times.

We’ve done the HDD and loved the whole thing, hokey and otherwise. Even the food was fine. So, it is on the plan but it will be a surprise for DH. He’ll have fun with beer flowing freely. Although it’s Budweiser :blow:

We love HDD. Just don’t get table 99. That was the only complaint I have ever filed with Disney. I hope it is gone now.

I hope ou love he Luau. I even love the little “bar” area before you go in with the trees wrapped in lights. It has me doing that to our back yard this summer.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1106118]We love HDD. Just don’t get table 99. That was the only complaint I have ever filed with Disney. I hope it is gone now.

I hope ou love he Luau. I even love the little “bar” area before you go in with the trees wrapped in lights. It has me doing that to our back yard this summer.[/QUOTE]

Would table 99 be the table right next or should I say on top of the piano player? That is a beastly bad table location. We were in the next terrible location right next to said table. But we felt fortunate compared to that poor family :eek:

Wow, I wish it would have been that table. LOL. It was literally 2 feet inside the door, like they had just thrown it there. We were behind the serving line. As everyone came in the door, they basically sat in our lap, and during the whole show the waiters/waitresses blocked our view. We had done it before upstairs off to the side and that table was 10 times better. While waiting in line to get our photo taken before going in, the photographer saw our table number and laughed and said “oh, the million dollar table”, even showing it off to her coworkers. LOL.

We asked for the manager and he walked up and stuck out his empty palms and said “I am really sorry, but we are full” before even asking what our issue was, and walked off.

Disney made up for it by sending us a gift card for our last trip for the price of the show, and a bit more actually. I told the Disney rep I didn’t want the money, just get rid of that table. She agreed it needed to go, stated it was an “overflow” table. But, they charge you category 2 for it, where as cat 3 is a much better table.

If you ever get table 99, run. LOLOL.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1106148]Wow, I wish it would have been that table. LOL. It was literally 2 feet inside the door, like they had just thrown it there. We were behind the serving line. As everyone came in the door, they basically sat in our lap, and during the whole show the waiters/waitresses blocked our view. We had done it before upstairs off to the side and that table was 10 times better. While waiting in line to get our photo taken before going in, the photographer saw our table number and laughed and said “oh, the million dollar table”, even showing it off to her coworkers. LOL.

We asked for the manager and he walked up and stuck out his empty palms and said “I am really sorry, but we are full” before even asking what our issue was, and walked off.

Disney made up for it by sending us a gift card for our last trip for the price of the show, and a bit more actually. I told the Disney rep I didn’t want the money, just get rid of that table. She agreed it needed to go, stated it was an “overflow” table. But, they charge you category 2 for it, where as cat 3 is a much better table.

If you ever get table 99, run. LOLOL.[/QUOTE]
wow, that’s quite a story. No, you would not want to sit in the piano player’s lap either. Must have been table 99 1/2 :blink:

We went to the luau in 2008 and had a blast, much more so than Hoop Dee Doo! Make sure to get the better seating option, so you don’t have an obstructed view.