Any Resort Suggestions?

Hey, I’m new here, another member referred me. Thanks April!:happy:

Anyways, I’m planning our next WDW vacation for Feb 2010. I personally have used 2 resorts only (you can tell by my avatar). I’ll be traveling with 5 kids, yes all mine, and my dh. We were thinking about the FWC, BUT, I read some of the posts about FWC and am leaning towards a big fat no. First off we will have 7 in our party, 2 very young (2 and 1 then) and I really don’t feel comfy with the golf cart idea and using our vehicle in the Fl heat is just not appealing. I’d like a nice break if possible lol. So what other Moderate resorts do you all recommend?

Dh has done a Pop a few times, but recently when traveling w/ my in laws they’ve used NOFQ. He’s voting FQ again but I thought I would like to shake things up and change resorts. I’ve looked at each resorts page’s and and still kinda torn between CS and CBC.

Any opinions on these hotels FQ, CS, and CBC. If anyone can tell me more about the inner workings of FWC that’d be great too. Dh is still going :eek: over the Golf Cart Rental price at FWC.

PS: If this helps our kids ages at the time of the trip will be 9, 7, 5, 2 and 1 yr. We will also be using 2 strollers, carrying a backpack (diaper bag) and any other loot we get. So walking will need to be minimal at night I’m sure.

My personal recomendation would be for you to look into renting points and get a 2-bedroom villa at either Saratoga Springs or Old key west resort. Wtih the children and all that personal stuff (strollers etc), the villa would be ideal. It would also be helpful to have that full kitchen and washer and dryer. Look in the DVC trade/requests and start getting some prices together.

I would consider CBR. It has the biggest rooms, a really cool themed pool for a mod. plus all the pools at each “island”. Olde Port Royale has plenty of choices for food.

FWC won’t be bad in Feb. Did you consider the cabbins at FW? With such a large group it may work out to be less $$$$

That is my two cents.

I’m a Florida resident and plan on using whatever discounts I get, but I’m also trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible. When I did the resort searches on WDW’s site I of course had to split us up and kept coming up with the same moderate’s I mentioned. I considered FWC because they’d be cheaper by a $100 or more plus I could make a quick breakfast for the kids and then head out. Saving our DDP for a sit down lunch and quick service dinner, plus the snack. The whole long walks to hither and yonder threw me for a expensive loop and an inconvienient one for that matter.

We’re doing MYW w/ DDP non PH’s.

I COULD call their reservation/info # but I’d like to see things written in front of me kwim?

Thanks!

I have to agree with Dana on the DVC resorts. You would have the space you need with all of the kids and all in the same room instead of getting two rooms.

Holy moly Old Key West is $$$:blink:
AllEars has it at $545-900ish per night. Am I reading that right? Is it PER adult? At this point it is almost certain to be a Moderate resort. Shhh we’ll keep these prices to ourselves, dh might die if I told him.:ninja:

[QUOTE=5Demons4Cookie;967480]Holy moly Old Key West is $$$:blink:
AllEars has it at $545-900ish per night. Am I reading that right? Is it PER adult? At this point it is almost certain to be a Moderate resort. Shhh we’ll keep these prices to ourselves, dh might die if I told him.:ninja:[/QUOTE]

No, it would be less expensive to rent points. Old Key West is a Disney Vacation Club resort, so if you pay out of pocket, its definitely going to be expensive. But if you rent points from a Club member, usually around $10.00 per point, it is much more affordable. Check into the DVC rental thread here at Mousebuzz.

I have to agree with Dana, Brandon and Beth. I’d DEFINITELY rent a DVC resort!!! You should get a 2 BR and you will have SO MUCH SPACE!!! The FULL kitchen is priceless for a family your size.

OKW is the most affordable resort to rent points for. When exactly do you want to go? When you decide on your dates, we can check point totals for you and then figure out how much it will cost. DEFINITELY less than paying rack rate!

If it’s a holiday week, the Cost Per Point might be a BIT higher than $10, but the average is around $10-$12 per point. (I’ve seen holiday weeks at $15)

Definitely something to consider!

Ok, I looked at the point thing. Sounds good, but…I don’t know anyone here. Yes my trip is still 9-10 months off but, it’s still iffy. Not saying ya’ll are thieves and sitting out there waiting for my $. I’d really have to talk to dh about it.

I actually don’t mind the 2 room thing. We did it last yr with 9 people and still had plenty of room. I’d block the door with the table and chair if need be and unblock it when we left the room. The kids would not have their own room cards and the rooms would be joined. Also, if need be dh and I will each take a room, which chances are is what will happen. So if it comes down to it and dh won’t do the DVC point thing, and we still think FWC’s are not for us, then we’ll do 2 rms at a moderate. Fl resident rate would be approx $114 plus tax per adult per night pending hotel choice. Which saves us about $60 a night right there.

I’ve figured I’ll be calling WDW tomorrow to ask for maps of the hotels (if they even offer those) and asking about rates for FWC since I see none for Fl residents. I know Pop Music has the Family Suites, but something turned me off of them, and I can’t remember why now…

All my kids care about is the pool(s). :huh:

Thanks for the info on the DVC points though, I never heard of that before and will definitely talk to dh about it and go from there. :cool:

[QUOTE=5Demons4Cookie;967507]Ok, I looked at the point thing. Sounds good, but…I don’t know anyone here. Yes my trip is still 9-10 months off but, it’s still iffy. Not saying ya’ll are thieves and sitting out there waiting for my $. I’d really have to talk to dh about it.

I actually don’t mind the 2 room thing. We did it last yr with 9 people and still had plenty of room. I’d block the door with the table and chair if need be and unblock it when we left the room. The kids would not have their own room cards and the rooms would be joined. Also, if need be dh and I will each take a room, which chances are is what will happen. So if it comes down to it and dh won’t do the DVC point thing, and we still think FWC’s are not for us, then we’ll do 2 rms at a moderate. Fl resident rate would be approx $114 plus tax per adult per night pending hotel choice. Which saves us about $60 a night right there.

I’ve figured I’ll be calling WDW tomorrow to ask for maps of the hotels (if they even offer those) and asking about rates for FWC since I see none for Fl residents. I know Pop Music has the Family Suites, but something turned me off of them, and I can’t remember why now…

All my kids care about is the pool(s). :huh:

Thanks for the info on the DVC points though, I never heard of that before and will definitely talk to dh about it and go from there. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I totally understand your apprehension, but… this is done quite frequently, and the people on here are usually highly recommended. The risk is just as much to them as it is to you. Typically you would set up a very simple agreement and all would be fine. I have rented points to a member before and all went exceptionally well for both of us!

I understand your thought process with the moderates but the rates can get quite high. The DVC’s are very economical (especially at OKW) and could actually save you money and give you nicer accomodations, both visuallly and spacially! Lurk around on here, check out the DVC forums and do some research. Find the time you wish to go, someone can give you the amount of points that will be required for your stay and from there you can do your math. I am willing to bet the DVC woud be very comprable and much better for your family if not better than the mmoderate! I’m going to see what I find for February at OKW… I’ll be back!

When I rented my DVC points I made a contract and all. I wouldn’t enter a deal without one. To be honest I think that’s your best bet unless you get a studio at the values.

Ok, so I was not able to get pricing for next february (they only go to Dec 09 online). But I did teh math on a two bedroom villa at OK and depending when you go… Feb 1 - 15the weeks stay would be 264 points = $2640 (at $10 a point). If you go from the 16th - 28th a weeks worth of points is 298 points = $2980 (at $10 a point).

See what you can find for the price of a moderate stay package!

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;967515]Ok, so I was not able to get pricing for next february (they only go to Dec 09 online). But I did teh math on a two bedroom villa at OK and depending when you go… Feb 1 - 15the weeks stay would be 264 points = $2640 (at $10 a point). If you go from the 16th - 28th a weeks worth of points is 298 points = $2980 (at $10 a point).

See what you can find for the price of a moderate stay package![/QUOTE]
That’s a great deal for a 2bd! I loved loved loved my 2 bd at hilton head island. It was so big and we only had me and 3 kids :laugh: what can I say it was Christmas break :laugh:

We’re seriously going to look at buying into the DVC when we go this year, if we decide against it, I know we’ll be renting points for the 2010 vacation since it will be 2 adults, two 16 yr olds and a 12 year old I think it would be a whole lot cheaper then renting two rooms…

My wife and I have made 52 trips to Disney World. The first was to Ft. Wilderness in 1971. Was there for the Grand Opening.
Pop Century is our favorite now. Our grandchildren are all in their 20s so keeping kids amused is history. We found it less expensive to use are car to stay at PC than drive our motor home to stay at FW.
The more bucks you save in rooms the more you have to play with and playing is what Disney is all about.
Joe

If you decide on a moderate instead of renting DVC points, then I would encourage you to go to POFQ. I stayed there last July for the first time and really liked it. With the large party you guys have, and all the stuff you need to tour with, the size of the resort will make a big difference for you. I do really like Fort Wilderness for families, but I can see where the cart rental cost might give you pause. As for resort maps, allearsnet.com has them, as well as intercot.

Don’t poo-poo the Fort Wilderness cabins just yet. There is a lot of room and you may not need a golf cart. I had a longer walk to the stores at Saratoga springs. And the grill outdoors is a big plus.

Thanks Briben & PeterMac (and all the others too at that.)

Dh wants to stick to POFQ if we do a moderate, he’s familiar with them and the layout plus the double sinks are a bonus in his eyes. We haven’t ruled out FWC either. I’ll look up those maps & see if I can figure out the cabin layout so we can request a certain area if we do the cabins after all.

In all reality I am not worried about ‘all my baby gear’ as my youngest will be 1 and not needing an infant seat, the car seats will be in our mini van and if we DO happen to need extra room, well that’s what the mini van is there for. I’ll be using umbrella type strollers so they will fold up easy as pie. I managed to fit 5 of us and our stuff in dh’s Grand Cherokee last yr.

I’ll keep looking and reading and go through the 4 sites for WDW I have bookmarked. I’d appreciate any more info and advice though. :happy: