Anyone ever bring pedometer to WDW

we brought one this last trip,just curious about how much we walked,we averaged 15 miles a day…anyone else track their walking???

DH and I also walk around 10-15 miles per day. It darn near kills him but I am used to treadmilling and using the elliptical on a regular basis. One note; I put my pedometer on pause for many rides, like the Mountains and even bouncing on Pooh. Personally, I am so excited that I eat LESS (!!!) and all the walking puts me down a few lbs!!! What a way to diet!!!

That explains how I can eat burgers and maintain my weight :happy: I didn’t mind the walking but yelled at the kids for complaining! and one of them is 8, poor girl

My wife did once, but I don’t recall what the total was.
Obviously we walk a lot. That article I linked yesterday says as much as 8 miles.
But if you just think about how far the back of any park is from the front, i.e. AK gate to Everest and the Nemo theater or a full tour around World Showcase, you can see how it adds up fast, especially if you’re crossing back and forth from Mission Space to Soarin’ to get and use fast passes.

We took one a couple years ago and averaged 7-8/day. But we are older and made use of our time in a area so we didn’t do alot of backtracking.

I laughed too because the first time we had the dining plan it included the appetizer for each person plus the desserts. I didn’t gain anything (which was great cause I already have more than enough) but I think I walked it all off!

My daughter is used to running everyday, and she gained about 7 pounds! LOL

Honestly, I don’t want to know. :laugh:

Gang, honestly, I would be inclined to slap myself for doing all that work while on vacation if I knew how many miles I was accumulating. After all, isn’t a vacation time to relax, not rack up more miles than ever on the exercise routine?

what I am amazed at are the people running in morning,yes I know some are conventioneers,but I have talked to some and some say no matter where they go and no matter what they are doing they get up in the morning and run…strange dedication

Who walks at Disney? I am always in a dead sprint!

Those days are far behind since all the little ones are now adults. Dad was always the FP runner. As designated type A planner I was for those trips it was my job by default. My new motto is they can get thier own FP’s if they want them. We’ll catch up later.

Funny you asked that because I just put my pedometer in my “Disney” bag so not to forget it when we go in March. I definitely am curious how many miles. Also want to compare this upcoming trip (Mom and Sister trip) versus a trip my dh and my boys. This will show who puts on more miles, ones that shop, or ones that do rides!

I always wear my pedometer and average 10-15 miles too. It’s always been the same until my last trip in June. I went with a friend and her 5 year old daughter. I think it was a combination of the heat and the fact that we had a kid with us (even though she was in a stroller), but we only walked about 5-7 miles on that trip.

We have used a pedometer a few times, and we found that we walk anywhere between 8 and 12 miles a day. Depending on which park we go to. Once we walked almost 18 miles but we were doing and EMH at Epcot after spending the day with friend there.

After this most recent vacation, I am almost certain my sprinting days are behind me.
It’s almost 3 weeks since we got home and I’m still in pain and limping. My ankles are so sore it’s beyond belief.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056715]After this most recent vacation, I am almost certain my sprinting days are behind me.
It’s almost 3 weeks since we got home and I’m still in pain and limping. My ankles are so sore it’s beyond belief.[/QUOTE]

but if you were going back tomorrow those aches would go away…RIGHT

Ohh Ive always said I will take a pedometer along and see how I get on, I have a feeling its probably in the 15miles a day area because we tend to double back on ourselves alot and hit 2 parks a day, plus there is always alot of shopping involved in every park hehe!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056715]After this most recent vacation, I am almost certain my sprinting days are behind me.
It’s almost 3 weeks since we got home and I’m still in pain and limping. My ankles are so sore it’s beyond belief.[/QUOTE]

We kept missing the big white boat that takes you around Tom Sawyer Island. After running the second time, I was like if we miss it this time, FORGET IT! My knees hurt just from walking down stairs/downhill.

I took my pedometer once and was amazed at the distance. Don’t recall how far we walked each day, but this was a good reminder to put it in the packing pile for our trip next week. Thanks for the reminder!

“Big white boat”:laugh:
Chuckle chuckle chuckle.
The terrain does roll a little in Liberty Square, doesn’t it.
Needless to say, I feel your pain as well.

I HATE to burst everyone bubble on this but MOST pedometers are contact oriented. In other words it feels the contact of a footstep and measures a step (avg 3ft). I know at WDW a pedometer would generate a lot of false steps like waiting in line and the steps you take there are maybe half a foot or a foot in length. Also bumps on rides and etc would also register false steps.

I’LL tell you what my mousebuzz friends - In march I will wear my garmen running watch (GPS in it) and get a real accurate count of our average walk distance in a day. I will have to remember to turn it it off on rides, but it will be real close to perfect.

If I had to guess on a full day basis - EPCOT is about 6 - 8 miles in a day, MK would be about 5 or 6, AK would be about 4 or 5, and HS about 3 to 5. I know AK is smallest but I find myself walking alot in that park for its size.

thank you dadofthree, I was wondering if we going to be able to hack walking 8-15 miles a day with a 5 year old in tow. The mileage you listed is much more doable. We can handle 3-8 miles for sure.

Christina:mickey: