Anyone Gone Camping At Fort Wilderness?

I am really interested in camping at Fort Wilderness one time, not in the Tippees though… haha. :smiley:

I’ve stayed in the Cabins, they were like heaven. It was so much fun! It was a little far away for me, in my tastes, just to get to the parks. But if you are there to relax and take it slow, or your with family, the little extra time is nice. But if you’re trying to race to MK for EMH, not so much… lol. The boat from MK to FW was really nice at night though. Except we were there in Dec, and it was like 50 degrees at night. :blush:

But has anyone camped at Fort Wilderness? Whats it like? Would you do it again? Or was it not worth it?

I’ve stayed there twice with my parents when I was a kid. They are one of the fondest memories of WDW! I eventually want to stay there again but not until we upgrade to a full size trailer.

We have a pop up at the moment.

That was the only place we stayed when I was younger! It was cheap to stay there and tickets were cheap(er), so we went like 4x a year. I loved staying there! We had a drafty pop-up that leaked when it rained, but it was still so much fun. We did movie nights with the marshmallow toasting (which I believe was free back then… haha) and watched the water parade from the beach every night. I remember having to take FW buses to the boat dock and then a boat over to MK or the TTC for monorails to epcot or buses elsewhere, but the extra travel time didn’t bother me. Boats, buses, and monorails were attractions in themselves to me. :laugh:

We just got a new hard-sided trailer - it still pops up but it’s SO much nicer. We’re planning a trial camping trip to FW early in the summer to make sure it’s stocked and ready for longer trips. FW is great for that because it has nice bathhouses, the general store, and Camping World right down the street, so if things don’t work right we’re not stranded in the real wilderness. I can’t wait to start FW camping again!!! :heart:

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;947253]That was the only place we stayed when I was younger! It was cheap to stay there and tickets were cheap(er), so we went like 4x a year. I loved staying there! We had a drafty pop-up that leaked when it rained, but it was still so much fun. We did movie nights with the marshmallow toasting (which I believe was free back then… haha) and watched the water parade from the beach every night. I remember having to take FW buses to the boat dock and then a boat over to MK or the TTC for monorails to epcot or buses elsewhere, but the extra travel time didn’t bother me. Boats, buses, and monorails were attractions in themselves to me. :laugh:
[/QUOTE]

Do you remember the train that would take you to the buses?? We use to sift through the sand, while waiting for the train, and find “micro” mini sea shells. My mom still has them in a small jar.

Did you do the “Marshmellow Marsh” where you loaded up into a 10 person canoe, row along the creek to an area with a bonfire pit, roast marshmellows, sing and watch the water pagent, then row back??? I wanted to do that 10 years ago with DH on our anniversary and they were no longer doing it:mad:

Or how about making your own pizza at the dining hall??

I have stayed at FW many times and absolutely love it there. I would gladly stay there again. I love the campground just for itself. There is so much to do there and it has recently had some improvements. I love that they have sites for our large rig and Trail’s End is one of our favorite WDW restaurants.

It is absolutely worth the price for all that you get and, if you can believe it, there are camp grounds that cost more. When we run across these places I jokingly say to my DH, “Where is the mouse?”

We have never stayed in the cabins, but I hear they are lovely, although a little expensive. I know they are good for larger families too.

I hope you get the opportunity to stay there again one day soon, I know you will remember why you loved it in the first place.

I have tent camped many times. If you set up well, and have decent (Not top of the line) equipment, you can really enjoy yourselves. We biked everywhere, and swam each night to stay cool. I loved it.

We went in Jan 05 and stayed for 10 nites in our motor home. I think one of the coolest parts about it is that it was 28 bucks a nite for the site and we got the same benefits (early and late entry in the parks) as we would have if we were staying at the Grand Floridian. Also it was really neat meeting people from all over. People are a little more talkative in an RV park than in a hotel.

Oh my gosh, I would camp at Fort Wilderness again in a heartbeat. Only with an RV though, I am not a big fan of the cabins & you won’t catch me for 5 minutes sleeping in a tent at WDW. :laugh:

It was a BLAST!! We started developing favorites as far as RV loops went; I think “Jack Rabbit Run” ended up being a family favorite if I remember correctly. I loved being close to the main pool, the Meadows store, etc.

I love everything about Fort Wilderness, haven’t stayed there in years though. :sad:

[QUOTE=hiner;947257]Do you remember the train that would take you to the buses?? We use to sift through the sand, while waiting for the train, and find “micro” mini sea shells. My mom still has them in a small jar.

Did you do the “Marshmellow Marsh” where you loaded up into a 10 person canoe, row along the creek to an area with a bonfire pit, roast marshmellows, sing and watch the water pagent, then row back??? I wanted to do that 10 years ago with DH on our anniversary and they were no longer doing it:mad:

Or how about making your own pizza at the dining hall??[/QUOTE]

I don’t remember the train or the canoes or the pizza!! We apparently missed out on a lot of stuff!!! :laugh: That all sounds awesome though. I haven’t been to FW in a long time - I wonder what kinds of things they do now. I’ve heard they have a marshmallow toasting thing (that of course costs $$$ now) and a hayride. Any other fun things you’ve come across recently?

Does everyone remember the ‘Crockett & Boone’ buses? I am not sure if they still have them but they were like the internal buses & they also took you to the T&TC; which you had to travel to first if you wanted to go to the Disney Marketplace.

I also remember the canoe rides; my best friend and I did it and had a blast. Well, that was until we accidentially crashed the front end of our canoe into a marshy bank. :pinch: :laugh:

Does anyone else remember any of their favorite loops?

Gosh, I miss Fort Wilderness SOOO much! I sware I would rent an RV just to drive down there & stay again. :sad:

OH, remember how DECKED OUT everyone would make their campsites around the holidays? They used to have special ‘Holiday Hayrides’ to take you around all the loops & look at the lights & decorations. We used to sing Christmas carols and everything. :tongue:

Oh oh oh, do you remember those ‘pull up’ check-in booths? You didn’t even have to get out of your RV to check-in. You’d just pull up to a booth & they’d check you in while you drove through. :laugh: I remember during busy times those RV check-in lines would back up to the entrance!

I totally remember requesting the “Cottontail Curl” loop a lot too! :tongue: OH, and I remember always wanting to rent a golf cart, I could spend all day zipping around Fort Wilderness on that thing.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;947522]Does everyone remember the ‘Crockett & Boone’ buses? I am not sure if they still have them but they were like the internal buses & they also took you to the T&TC; which you had to travel to first if you wanted to go to the Disney Marketplace.

I also remember the canoe rides; my best friend and I did it and had a blast. Well, that was until we accidentially crashed the front end of our canoe into a marshy bank. :pinch: :laugh:

Gosh, I miss Fort Wilderness SOOO much! I sware I would rent an RV just to drive down there & stay again. :sad:

OH, remember how DECKED OUT everyone would make their campsites around the holidays? They used to have special ‘Holiday Hayrides’ to take you around all the loops & look at the lights & decorations. We used to sing Christmas carols and everything. :tongue:

Oh oh oh, do you remember those ‘pull up’ check-in booths? You didn’t even have to get out of your RV to check-in. You’d just pull up to a booth & they’d check you in while you drove through. :laugh: I remember during busy times those RV check-in lines would back up to the entrance![/QUOTE]

ok some of this I do remember!!! :happy: Didn’t they have Chip & Dale buses too??

They had a Disney Christmas Travel Channel show (I think with Samantha Brown) showing the decorated sites. It was AWESOME. Some of the people said they do it every year.

The pull up check-in!! That was so exciting. That was like the ultimate “WE’RE HERE WE’RE HERE WE’RE HERE” moment. :laugh:

Love Ft Wilderness! My home resort… Its a very cool place to camp.

The Chip and Dale campfire sing-along is so much fun. You can get S’mores stuff there for a few dollars, but you can also bring it your self and they charge you nothing. We always have S’mores stuff on-hand.

Watching the electric water pageant or Wishes from the beach is always fun. Renting any of the water craft or a fishing excursion can be a blast. They have a brand-new pet exercise area where you can take your dog out for some off-leash fun.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;947522]Does everyone remember the ‘Crockett & Boone’ buses? I am not sure if they still have them but they were like the internal buses & they also took you to the T&TC; which you had to travel to first if you wanted to go to the Disney Marketplace.

Oh oh oh, do you remember those ‘pull up’ check-in booths? You didn’t even have to get out of your RV to check-in. You’d just pull up to a booth & they’d check you in while you drove through. :laugh: I remember during busy times those RV check-in lines would back up to the entrance![/QUOTE]

I love the check-in area. We just pull up and they have our info packet ready. We never have to get out of our truck.

Our favorite loop is the 1800 loop, Conestoga Trail. It is a pet loop, so that is good for our dog and it has very large spaces.

The decorated sites are one of my favorite parts about visiting FW. These people go all out, it really is awesome.

I hope you get to stay there again one day.

We have been camping at FW many times. We will be there in May for our 52nd stay at WDW. We stayed in the wilderness homes a few times. Nice but much too pricey these days. We go to WDW about 4 times a year (Fl. residents) but only stay at Ft. Wilderness in our motor home in May. The other times we stay at one of the value resorts. Pop Century is our first choice. It is less expensive to stay at a value resort than at Ft. Wilderness. My car uses much less gas than my motor home.
We do, however like Ft. Wilderness very much. Our grand kids are in their 20s so the thrill of camping has long since passed us by.
Have a great time when you get there.
Joe

I hear ya Joe.

My Father in Law has a Motorhome we were going to use, but the gas was so much it mitigated the savings. 52 times, whew…