Anyone Have Any Bus Rants?

Okay, so this has nothing to do with Disney’s part in the bus systems, but has anyone else other than me had an experience on a bus do to the other visitors on the bus that just angered you so bad!!! :pinch:

I dooooo!!!

Okay, so this past vacation, in August-September we stayed at ASMo, and mostly the people that stayed at this resort were younger adults, young families, and then there were a lot of football teams, cheerleading teams, etc there as well. All very capable of standing on a bus.

Well, this one day it just POURED. Like the sky opened up and we were all swimming! Literally. So we waiting for the bus and it comes. And there was a lot of people in front of us, but enough where some of us could sit and hold the children, and the rest would stand-- not a problem. But see the problem was that some of us were in the line ahead of the rest. So at the tail end it was my brother Jeff, my best friend Amanda, myself, my nieces Riley and Madison (3 and 18months.) And then my father. Well by the time we got on the bus there were no more seats. So normally we can hold on to the kids on our hips, but this time the floor was SOAKED and slippery and so were the poles and my brother and dad both had strollers and bags, so I decided to inform Amanda that I thought the safest thing for the kids was to pass them back to my family members who were sitting.

Well as were all struggling trying to get the kids safely to a sit the bus begins. And I’m like oh no, this is going to be difficult, but just realllly focus on the baby. So I made Amanda switch with me and give me Madison, the younger one, because she is the one that relies more on you actually holding her so she feels heavier and I’m sorta better at that whole hold them even if it hurts and don’t drop them thing.

So the wholeeee bus ride to HS we’re struggling not to slip or fall or drop the children. And this whole time theres an ENTIRE teenage football team sitting around us. I mean BIG STRONG 17-18 year old boys just sitting there watching us, two little 16-17 year old girls hold these 20-30 lb children. Slipping and sliding and juggling them. And not ONE of them offered to let us sit down! NOT ONE! And there coach was sitting right there too! I don’t BELIEVE he didn’t make one of those boys get up! I don’t believe it.

Standing and keeping your balance on one of those buses is bad enough, but with children! It’s sooo hard. Especially little children. It could have been SO dangerous if the bus took a hard turn and my hand slipped off the pole. I mean the least the could have done was let ONE of us sit down with both babies.

And it was COMPLETELY obvious we were struggling. COMPLETELY.

I just couldn’t believe that. I have given my seat up SOOOO many times to people, whether they have children or not. As a young person that completely capable of standing up on a bus in place of an older person or someone with children its just the right thing to do! I couldn’t believe that those boys could be so selfish. Right to our faces.

Needless to say the entire ride I was SO angry! Ohh, the angrist I’ve ever been in Disney ever! And the thing that makes me so mad is that the boy in front of me KNEW he wasn’t doing the right thing. Because after my friend was like omg, my arm hurts so bad I’m afraid I’m going to drop her, I caught eye contact with one of the boys and he looked away sooo fast.

Also, there was this man in front of us next to the boy and he leaned over to his wife and was like, honey I’m going to get up and let one of these girls sit down with the kids, he whispered it to her, and she said back to him “If you get up for one of those girls I swear to god you’ll never hear the end of it…” And I was just baffled. I was like OMG, I don’t believe that GROWN woman who has a child just said that. How immature and rude. Right to our faces practically.

So now I’m soo angry. But that guy shouldn’t have had to get up, those boys should have been gentleman and offered it! So as I get off the bus I am realllllly stewing in it. I’m sitting at the front bus exit waiting… tapping my foot… baby on hip… just this stern angry scorning face on. I was DETERMINED to make one of these boys feel like the jerks that they are. And I am NOT a confrontial person or a dramatic person AT ALL. haha. :laugh:

So as the get off the bus I’m sitting there with the rest of my family retelling the story, because honestly I just REALLY couldn’t understand that type of selfishness or being able to be that, well RUDE. So as the team walked by I made sure to say loud and clear for that boy to hear, “And I just CANT believe that not one of those teenage boys on that football team offered us the courtesy of having one of theirs seats!” And the boys infront of us look back, and I continued “…especially after the saw how hard it was for us to stay steady and Amanda said she was having trouble keeping Riley held.” And the boy looked away. And he STILL didn’t care!

Man that just ticked me off. And not because I couldn’t sit. It has nothing to do with that. But it was for the safety of those children. THEYRE BABIES! They can’t stand. They can’t hold themselves up. They don’t have the strength or even the understanding that they need to do that. And the reason I got so mad is because I’m so close to them and I watch them so watch I kinda feel like a second mother, and it was sort of like a mother protecting their children. I felt like they hurt me because I felt like they were hurting my nieces, if that makes sense?

BUT anyways, that reallllly ruinied most of my morning! It was ridicilous! :pinch:

Does anyway else have any stories such as that? :blush:

Oh Stacey - I am soooo sorry that happened. We were in a similiar situation 18 years ago trying to hold a sleeping 5 year old after Illuminations - you know how crazy leaving Epcot after Illuminations can be! We were very fortunate in that a man did get up a let me sit with my DD sleeping on my lap. Manners should not be just for the older generation! That coach missed a golden opportunity to educate his team by example! SHAME ON HIM! Had one of my kids, my husband, or myself been on the bus we would have gladly given a seat to someone holding a child. Too bad the bus driver did not take charge of the situation and ask that folks let those with small children sit. MMM…just aggravates me knowing there are rude people everywhere - even at Disney!:angry:

NOPE – We have always enjoyed the bus rides – it’s almost like an attraction unto itself. We have had good luck with pickups, dropoffs and plenty of fun drivers.

Yes, I know exactly what you’re talking about. Sorry it happened to you. My DW and I have a new policy, we never get on a bus unless there are seats for us. We now wait for the next bus, and are first on! I understand with small children it’s harder to wait another 20 minutes or so, but if the weather is nice (obviously not in this case) it’s worth the wait.

I don’t have a story like you Stacey, but every bus at Disney that I have been on, there were families with children who should have been on Mama or Daddy’s lap during the ride, who took up spaces that could have been offered to older people or parents holding babies, who had to stand.
Worse yet, some people put their bags on seats that should have been made available for other passengers.

I think that any bus driver has the responsibility to make sure that everyone on the bus is safe. Clearly this was a dangerous situation.
That football coach needs to go to get a lesson from Miss Manners so he can then turn around and teach his team good manners.

Ya’ll really need to assert yourself. what you should have done is ask one of the teenagers to get up so you can sit…putting them on the spot in front of the entire bus. Hard to say no when there is someone holding a baby. If they declined, you could have said “here hold her since you are to selfish to give up your seat for a baby”:laugh::laugh:sorry I like making selfish people feel like jerks. It’s a sport of sorts.:laugh:

Yes, that’s the way to do it. :pirate:

and that’s why you and I love the bus system.:laugh::laugh:

I am proud that my boys (8 and 13) have always given up their seats on the bus. Over the years, they saw me do it, and now they don’t even need to think about it- it’s automatic.

I’m with Dana- I would have said something to them also.

i couldn’t agree more.

Stacey , i am so sorry that happened to you and Amanda. but as i read your story, i kept thinking you were eventually goign to ask one of the boys for their seat. i certainly would have…or better yet…ask the COACH!

let this be a lesson for you to always remember…you cannot just wait for someone to do the right thing…sometimes you have to ask/tell them to.

hope you don’t have this happen again.

i have been on the bus…with my sleeping child and asked for a seat, without any hesitation…and the person i asked hopped up without any hesitation.

just ask nicely, with a smile and very polite words. it works!:blush:

In Aug we waited for ages at Epcot for a bus because the bad weather that evening had sent us all running back to the dryness and warmth of the hotels. So there we are waiting and waiting and eventually a bus comes - but we dont manage to get on, ok no big deal we will be on the next one…or so we thought. We wait around a little longer and voila, a nice empty bus appears. So there we are, making our way to the front of the line after having queued for well over half an hour and then…a whole family walk along the side of the bus, completly out of the queuing area and manage to get on board taking the last avalible space and the doors shut on us! Us who had been waiting half an hour in the rain lost our seats to a family who just couldnt be bothered to join the back of the line like everybody else!

I also saw similar situations to this last year and this year. Last year when we got on the bus, if my DH knew there were alot of people behind us who would be standing, he didn’t even sit at first, then saw where young adults and teenagers sat and left their elders standing. He quit doing this, he would take his seat and then offer it to someone he knew needed it.

I was very upset by situations like this this year. Me - 50 years old, with my foot problem, gave up my seat different times during the week for mom’s holding sleeping babies.

I also agree, it was crazy the one some mothers “spread their kids out on the seats”

I speak up and say “the line forms back there”. And if the people don’t listen I yell it and then I get the bus driver involved even if he/she likes it or not.

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;888987]And this whole time theres an ENTIRE teenage football team sitting around us. I mean BIG STRONG 17-18 year old boys just sitting there watching us, two little 16-17 year old girls hold these 20-30 lb children. Slipping and sliding and juggling them. And not ONE of them offered to let us sit down! NOT ONE!

So as the get off the bus I’m sitting there with the rest of my family retelling the story, because honestly I just REALLY couldn’t understand that type of selfishness or being able to be that, well RUDE. [/QUOTE]

Stacey, not only were these guys rude, it sounds like they were also STUPID!
Hmmmmm, let’s see, I’m a 17 year old guy sitting on the bus and two cute 16-17 year old girls are standing (and struggling with the babies). Could I ask for any better opportunity to MEET these cuties (and maybe get a chance to hang out later)? Duhhhhh. :blink::huh:

Sorry this happened to you. One more reason to throw rocks at boys.

[QUOTE=sue299;889096]

I was very upset by situations like this this year. Me - 50 years old, with my foot problem, gave up my seat different times during the week for mom’s holding sleeping babies.

QUOTE]

This a threadjack, but there were a few times I (52) would get on a bus and sitting and see someone else get on. I sit and think “it that person older than me”. I don’t mean someone who NEEDS a seat but to offer it to be nice. Am I going to be insulting someone??? I am just awful with guessing ages. Again I’m not talking about babies in arms, frail grandmas, that sort of thing. But I’m sort of healthly, most body parts work and only a few creak, standing is no problem for me. But I don’t want someone to slap me with a mickey bag cause I offered a 48 yr a seat on a bus thinking they were older.:laugh:

My one and only bus rant was when we stayed at Boardwalk Villas 2 years ago, it was so bad in fact that Daniel didn’t want to stay there again after that trip. I would stay there again, but him not so much.

We waited SO long for buses, AK seemed to be a problem especially. THEN, when buses DID come we were ALWAYS standing… if they had room for us at all. I was told by the resort manager that they were sharing park buses with the Swan/Dolphin & the Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk was last on the loop… always. :glare:

It felt so unfair that we were constantly forced to pass buses by because they were full or squeeze in, standing room only. Guests were verbally upset, walking away from the bus stops, and if this is any indication that it was ACTUALLY a problem there was a constant row of cabs parked in the entry loop.

We took at least 3 cabs on that trip and the manager was EXTREMELY apologetic & refunded our taxi fares without a second glance. I am NOT normally a complainer what-so-ever but this was craziness.

Otherwise, no real bus problems I can recall.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;889109]
This a threadjack, but there were a few times I (52) would get on a bus and sitting and see someone else get on. I sit and think “it that person older than me”. I don’t mean someone who NEEDS a seat but to offer it to be nice. Am I going to be insulting someone??? I am just awful with guessing ages. Again I’m not talking about babies in arms, frail grandmas, that sort of thing. But I’m sort of healthly, most body parts work and only a few creak, standing is no problem for me. But I don’t want someone to slap me with a mickey bag cause I offered a 48 yr a seat on a bus thinking they were older.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

jo-jo, that made laugh out loud :laugh::laugh:

LOL Dana – “sport!”

I wanted to add that we did have trouble with the tram once, however – it was at the end of the day, and a woman got off the tram at one of the first stops with her family and a stroller that was carrying a little kid, maybe 3 or 4 years old. Anyway the kid, who was strapped into the stroller, was a little fussy (end of the day usual stuff), and the mom started slapping the kid’s face! Not a little, and hard enough that we were shocked. It was right in front of the back tram driver, and I asked him if he had seen that… he replied that he had seen a ton of stuff like that and worse since being at WDW.

(I hope that woman is on MB so she can read that I am still mad about how out of line she was… wacko.)

That’s the only time we have had an issue, and it wasn’t really a Disney problem.

[QUOTE=Dopey;889005]I don’t have a story like you Stacey, but every bus at Disney that I have been on, there were families with children who should have been on Mama or Daddy’s lap during the ride, who took up spaces that could have been offered to older people or parents holding babies, who had to stand.
Worse yet, some people put their bags on seats that should have been made available for other passengers.

I think that any bus driver has the responsibility to make sure that everyone on the bus is safe. Clearly this was a dangerous situation.
That football coach needs to go to get a lesson from Miss Manners so he can then turn around and teach his team good manners.[/QUOTE]

I’m with you Dopey. It peeves me to no end when I see a bus full of “seniors” standing and mom and dad’s have their little one’s sitting next to them instead of sitting on their laps.:angry: On the other hand I have had many people from the ages in the 30/40’s to 8 or 9 ask if I would like to sit. I always decline but I always say thanks and no matter the age, I always tell them that their parents raised them well. I say it nice and loud too.:smile:

In may we were on a bus filled to the gills with people. One man offered his seat to my grandma which I thought was really nice. I always and will always get up for someone that has a baby smaller kids and older folks.