Anyone NOT interested in the Behind the Scenes Tours?

Obviously, there are loads of folks who want to see what makes WDW tick, judging by the longevity of their BTS tours…if you’re one of them, please know I mean no disrespect…it’s your vacation, have a blast.

As someone who loves a good read on Walt Disney, and the history behind the actual planning/building of WDW does interest me greatly…my concern is that too much knowldege may interfere with the magic of WDW…one of the greatest things to me is simply fantasizing how the Imagineers do what they do to turn what was once 47 + miles of Central Florida swampland into a vacation kingdom.

I guess I could equate this to going to see a magic show, and after the show, going backstage and asking the magician how he/she pulls the rabbit out…once I know the answer, will it still be magic?

I sit on the fence with this… I would love to see it, but I don’t want the magic ruined. I know that there are trucks driving around, etc below me, but I don’t want to think about it… I’ll settle for random tours around WDW but I would think it would be hard to see stuff that not everyone else would normally see… I see both sides…

I hate to admit it because I feel guilty about not liking it but I did the “Behind the Seeds” tour years ago with my Best Friend and I was bored to death. haha. It was a good tour, lots of great info, & pretty in depth. Just wan’t my cup of tea. She was a horticulture major at UF and was interested in doing intern work in EPCOT so she got a lot out of it.

Seeing the backstage areas never ruined the magic for me, even when I did the “Keys to the Kingdom” tour & saw some garbage systems and the utilidors. I mean it’s weird seeing another side of it but it never ruined the magic for me.

Yes, but it is so clean, that I don’t want to think that there is even trash at WDW (and I know that there is more than I can imagine). I know it is sucked through the place at dizzying speeds… but there are no Princesses down there.

[QUOTE=jerseymouse;1029624]Obviously, there are loads of folks who want to see what makes WDW tick, judging by the longevity of their BTS tours…if you’re one of them, please know I mean no disrespect…it’s your vacation, have a blast.

As someone who loves a good read on Walt Disney, and the history behind the actual planning/building of WDW does interest me greatly…my concern is that too much knowldege may interfere with the magic of WDW…one of the greatest things to me is simply fantasizing how the Imagineers do what they do to turn what was once 47 + miles of Central Florida swampland into a vacation kingdom.

I guess I could equate this to going to see a magic show, and after the show, going backstage and asking the magician how he/she pulls the rabbit out…once I know the answer, will it still be magic?[/QUOTE]

After literally almost my entire life spent backstage, there’s no magic to be preserved. I’ve worked with the magician and had him need to borrow my voltmeter and soldering iron to repair something vital. I’ve been there when the elephants poop and I’ve been there when the divas poop, I mean demand whatever. I’ve built the smoke and mirrors. You could even say, in a way, I too am an imagineer.
So I promise to try to not ruin your illusions. Much:laugh:

Edit: About your comment about them turning 47 acres of swamp into WDW, I was a space head long before I ever set for in WDW, so I already had the stories of how they built Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center out of even more swampland on the mosquito coast. So that illusion was long gone. And how about the imagineering to actually go to the moon and return?!
Kind of dwarfs our little fun park, doesn’t it?
I apologize, I’ve always been a nuts and bolts kid.

At one time I was, but not now really. I kinda like the secrets on how the magic is made…makes it more magically to this kid at heart.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1029631]I hate to admit it because I feel guilty about not liking it but I did the “Behind the Seeds” tour years ago with my Best Friend and I was bored to death. haha. It was a good tour, lots of great info, & pretty in depth. Just wan’t my cup of tea. She was a horticulture major at UF and was interested in doing intern work in EPCOT so she got a lot out of it.

Seeing the backstage areas never ruined the magic for me, even when I did the “Keys to the Kingdom” tour & saw some garbage systems and the utilidors. I mean it’s weird seeing another side of it but it never ruined the magic for me.[/QUOTE]

Behind the Seeds is about the only tour we haven’t done, and for good reason, I never thought that one would interest me, especially having taken unDiscovered Future World (I think that’s the name but I’m too bloody lazy to check.)

To me, the tours are optional, and you shouldn’t feel pressured to take a tour if you even suspect it could ruin whatever special illusion you’ve created for your laughing place.
There shouldn’t be any debate and you shouldn’t feel guilty for either wanting or not wanting to tour.
Like I’ve said so many times before, being backstage IS normal for me, in fact I am always looking that the sound and lighting systems.
In October we finally saw Beauty and the Beast for the first time, and if you know me, you know I was looking at every part of the production that visible.
Of course, after the show, I had to take 5 minutes to chew the sound engineer’s ear.
But that’s me, the sorcerer’s apprentice (well, I guess at my age and with my experience, I’m the sorcerer).

i don’t go to WDW to “learn” :slight_smile:
…i wanna ride rides, get hugs from my favorite characters…eat good food…be a kid.
glad my hubby feels the same way!

I would love to go one the keys to the kingdom tour just because i want to see how all the rides work. I don’t think it will spoil the magic because usually i sit on the rides and wonder how it’s operating the way it is and i miss most of the ride trying to figuire it out. I always think to myself if I just knew I would be able to enjoy the ride so much more!

Gotta admit “Keys to the Kingdom” tour just about had me in tears. We thought it was unbearably boring. Not only was it boring, we took it at a time when the Haunted Mansion was down for repairs, so we stood outside while a CM told us about the ride - a ride we’d all been on a hundred times. Then we went to Pirates and it broke down just before we were to ride - so we stood outside and listened to a monlogue on THAT for 15 minutes. The mysterious “corridors” were high school hallways with lockers, and you had to jump out of the way of beeping golf carts continuously. Standing in a Disney parking lot staring at a wire (the one Tinkerbell comes down) for a half hour in the heat is not my idea of fun. Nor is looking at the garbage shutes. (add smell to heat). This is the first time I actually complained about something at WDW and we got our money back. On the upside, it was the first time I ever tried the tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbour House, so that was good.

We did do Behind the Seeds at Epcot and thought it was a terrific little tour - only an hour long and fun.

[QUOTE=llama;1029767]Gotta admit “Keys to the Kingdom” tour just about had me in tears. We thought it was unbearably boring. Not only was it boring, we took it at a time when the Haunted Mansion was down for repairs, so we stood outside while a CM told us about the ride - a ride we’d all been on a hundred times. Then we went to Pirates and it broke down just before we were to ride - so we stood outside and listened to a monlogue on THAT for 15 minutes. The mysterious “corridors” were high school hallways with lockers, and you had to jump out of the way of beeping golf carts continuously. Standing in a Disney parking lot staring at a wire (the one Tinkerbell comes down) for a half hour in the heat is not my idea of fun. Nor is looking at the garbage shutes. (add smell to heat). This is the first time I actually complained about something at WDW and we got our money back. On the upside, it was the first time I ever tried the tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbour House, so that was good.

We did do Behind the Seeds at Epcot and thought it was a terrific little tour - only an hour long and fun.[/QUOTE]

I’ve really decided that the enjoyment of your tour has A LOT to do with how the tour guide presents it. When we did Keys to the Kingdom I honestly felt there were a couple moments where I thought, "now if this guy wasn’t so interesting, animated, & SO full of little-known facts it could have been dull. We never dwelled on any wires, in parking lots, or by garbage shoots. :laugh: Maybe because our tour guide sensed what would be interesting to the crowd & adjusted? I don’t know, but it stinks you had that experience cause I know it can be a great tour.

Speaking of which, we did “Undiscovered Future World” and SHOULD HAVE complained & gotten our money back. It was HORRIBLE. You could tell the tour guide was completely disinterested & we even sat there while he flirted with a pretty French CM girl for 15 minutes in a breakroom behind the scenes. It was SO unprofessional & people on our group were visably annoyed. We totally walked away feeling like we wasted our day. :glare:

I like to learn about everything Disney…almost. This is the one place I’ve said no. I don’t want to spoil the magic. My sister had done this twice over the years and given me some good information she’s learned, but it stops there. Otherwise, it’s everything I can get on the subject…including the background music.

I have thought about taking the different tours many times but never have because I think it would spoil “some” of the magic for me. Whenever I see a door partially open and can see a dumpster or into the kitchen or other service areas it hits home that people are working very hard every day to create a wonderful illusion. While I would to love take a tour where they talk about future plans or cancelled projects in detail, I don’t think I really want to know what makes the parks tick; I’d rather just enjoy the magic.

Well, I love Disney so much that I’m thinking of using Disney as the 3rd name for the baby so that it will always be a reminder to the baby that because of him/her we had to put off a trip. LOL… but I have to say that I’ve always been fascinated by Disney and did so many projects when I was a child on Walt and on the parks that I was thrilled to be able to do a tour.

I had been there a few times and when DH and I went down together I gave him the Keys of the Kingdom Tour for Christmas. Matthew was our guide and it was really really great! Some things I already knew, so to be able to go into the areas that I’ve only read about was really fantastic! It covered not only some of the area and secrets about the park/ company but it got into some of the history of Walt and Roy and how it all came together. The only down side for me was it was a bit to short I could have enjoyed a day of it and may take a longer tour in the future. Also the lunch at the Columbia Harbor House was beyond nasty and I will never go there again! It was cold and greasy. Thought that that might just be a one time thing with the Columbia Harbor House, but when I had my parents go on the tour a couple years later they also found the Harbor House way below standard.

Other then that the tour for us was great and well worth the time. Guess it all depends on the group you’re put with and your guide.

Believe me if there was a degree for gaining thousands and thousands of pieces of information, any little detail I could discover on Disney World, then I would have an MFA in it! And I was concerned about losing the magic too when I started my internship there. Seeing even MORE than any behind the scenes tour will show you. But I’ll tell you something there is no person on this earth who can feel the magic of Walt Disney World then the people behind the scenes that make it work!

Ofcourse, my leaders and managers were some of the greatest people I’ve ever met in my life and they also have such a general, deep love for the company and magic. They are storytellers that make your hearts swell and swoon.

When you get to be a part of making the magic, that in turn becomes its own form of magic! And when I first started I was afraid I’d lose my guest magic experience, and honestly I was really realllly nervous about that… I wasn’t done with the magic for me. Even though I got to make it for others. BUT I COULDNT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG.

Now I just get to experience Disney in TWO amazingly different, but completely magical ways. It’s like a small piece of ownership I get to feel and it has me connected to WDW in another way than I ever imagined.

It’s amazing for me. But I agree, it’s not for everyone. I can see how for some people seeing some of the BTS things I have seen could ruin the magic. But for me it made mine stronger.

And that amazes me, because even though I just witness this boy I knew get dressed and transformed into Peter Pan, when he goes on stage, I still only see Peter Pan, that boy I knew before, it’s like he’s not there.

And thats the quality you have to have to be able to work here and not ruin the magic for yourself. You have to be able to believe in the magic, even if you know where some of it came from… :blush: