Appetizer as meal on DDP?

My DD 11 is very picky. We always get the DDP as we like everything paid for upfront. My question would she be able to get an appetizer as her entree on the DDP? I’ve noticed some places we will be eating she won’t touch the entrees (we usually end up getting her a larger version of a kids meal item, yes for others this is possible on the DDP) but there are some appetizers she would love to just have as her entree.

I don’t know this for certain, but I would guess its going to vary greatly from location to location. When I worked at Raglan, a few of our apps would go through the computer as a substitute entree and a few would not. Hopefully someone will have better info for you though.

I don’t see that this would be an issue but then I am no expert so there may be someone here who can help for sure. However I will say that my DD 8 is also a hugely fussy eater so I was very worried last time we came as we were dining at Ohana etc but each restaurant we went to were so helpful and they all got her fries and chicken strips or something if she didn’t like the menu options. I think she will be fine. Just ask :slight_smile:

What a huge waste of money (dining credit)!

And I don’t think they can do it anyway.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1105604]What a huge waste of money (dining credit)!

And I don’t think they can do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

It depends. At Red Lobster I sometimes order the Calamari appetizer as my meal. It’s a huge portion, and I still get the rolls and extras that come with a full meal.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1105604]What a huge waste of money (dining credit)!

And I don’t think they can do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Maybe to you, but to me it is a greater waste to have 3/4 of a meal thrown away. At least I know she will eat an entire app.

California Grill always lets me order the goat cheese ravioli app as a dinner. I don’t remember if I’ve ever tried that request anywhere else.

It never hurts to ask. We’ve had all sorts of special requests over the years and they almost always can make it work. Even better - have HER ask. Who can turn down a cute kid.

I can remember a meal at Le Cellier when my little guy was 3 or 4. He is not a meat eater. While sorting through the menu, we noted the fruit garnishes on a few plates. We asked about a fruit plate and she said that was not an issue. She presented him with a plate full of orange slices, strawberries, etc. He was thrilled and she got a very big tip. :laugh:

Well, if you’re talking about any of the WDW restaurants that offer Prince Edward Island mussels, I’d agree. Those things are meals in themselves.

Also, there are several appetizers at California Grill that they will allow you to substitute as an entree and especially some of Yoshi’s sushi rolls are quite filling.
But again, we’re back at the fact that you’re using 2 credits for your dinner on a meal that will cost far less than the $62 break even point.
If you’re going to do that, you might as well pay out of pocket instead.

In fact, here’s an idea!
You’re on the dining plan and can use your credits as you wish (within limits) and those credits are pooled together for all guests in your room.
Instead of stressing about being allowed to substitute an appetizer for an entree, pay for your child’s appetizer meal out of pocket and bank the credit.
If you bank two credits, you can go to a signature restaurant instead of a regular restaurant.

As always, do your research via the All Ears menus and see what might work best for you.

That is what prompted the question, research on Allears. Rose & Crown has a scallop appetizer that DD would love but nothing else appeals to her. We’ll see maybe we can convince her to branch out. We’ve had success at WDW with that before.

Keep in mind, your server wants to make you happy. A happy guest usually equates to a bigger tip. If there is any way your server can make this happen for you without involving mgmt. They are going to do it. In some locations however, the computer might not let it go through-- if this is the case it will be up to the manager and different managers handle requests differently. Having worked in two Disney TS restaurants I don’t see you getting much resistance on this but no promises!

I’m not one to push an issue to get my way. I believe in rules so if it would be any kind of issue I would not insist. I guess it won’t hurt to try.

You’re on the dining plan and can use your credits as you wish (within limits) and those credits are pooled together for all guests in your room.
Instead of stressing about being allowed to substitute an appetizer for an entree, pay for your child’s appetizer meal out of pocket and bank the credit.
If you bank two credits, you can go to a signature restaurant instead of a regular restaurant.

This is a really good point.

It will depend on the server and the restaurant. Most restaurants will go out of their way to ensure you child gets something they like. I really wouldn’t worry to much about it.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1105728]
In fact, here’s an idea!
If you bank two credits, you can go to a signature restaurant instead of a regular restaurant.[/QUOTE]

Man, you’re smart. Do want to become my personal Disney planning adviser? The pay sucks, but I will send you pictures of bathrooms.